What do YOU do when you feel hungry (but know you're not)?

Options
1235»

Replies

• sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Healthy snacks! If I am really feeling hungry, I will grab some fruit, vegetables or a handful of nuts and eat them slowly.

If I don't want any of those then I'm not 'hungry', I just want to eat. There's a big difference!
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago I started this trick with myself, I've dubbed it the cucumber trick. I decided on cucumbers because although I don't necessarily dislike them, they are usually one of the last things I'll pick up to eat if I have it laying around.

It goes like this:
    If I think I'm hungry, I'll think of a cucumber, tossed with some balsamic & pepper or something (one of the few ways I like it.) If I think "no, wouldn't eat it", then I'm really not actually hungry. If I think to myself "yeah that does sound kinda good" then I know I am lol

Maybe weird, but it totally works.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I would stock up on healthy snacks, fruits & veggies - For them hunger moments.

Also try and eat as much protein as you can with every meal.

Also eat good fats too... Fat doesn't make you fat, Too many calories do!

I love my eggs at the moment, and cottage cheese
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago I started this trick with myself, I've dubbed it the cucumber trick. I decided on cucumbers because although I don't necessarily dislike them, they are usually one of the last things I'll pick up to eat if I have it laying around.

It goes like this:
    If I think I'm hungry, I'll think of a cucumber, tossed with some balsamic & pepper or something (one of the few ways I like it.) If I think "no, wouldn't eat it", then I'm really not actually hungry. If I think to myself "yeah that does sound kinda good" then I know I am lol

Maybe weird, but it totally works.

Hahaha when I was a kid and I'd whinge to my mother that I was hungry she'd say "do you want a carrot?"...."no"...."well then you're not really hungry are you".... Haha you just reminded me of that all these years later!! :flowerforyou:
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I often hear the "drink more water" tip here but I find that it doesn't work for me. I already drink a lot of water normally anyway. Water does not make my cravings and false hunger go away. Sometimes a couple nuts might help but then it's really easy to overeat since they are so calorie dense in tiny portions.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how someone can feel hungry but not be hungry... totally baffles me. I'm either hungry or not.

You're lucky. I find that often when I'm not physically hungry, I'll be obsessively thinking about food constantly. It's distracting and often leads to binge eating even when I've physically had enough good food. I have been told it's possible that I have ADD that is manifesting itself in a binge eating disorder, though.

That's not hunger. That's cravings. Totally different thing. You're asking the wrong question (to which unfortunately I have no answer, I still deal with cravings all the time).
  • mp5girl
    mp5girl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to report that those feeling have been absent for several days. For me, it's 2 hefty meals a day with a couple light snacks in between. This may change as the psychology does but this is what works for me right now.

I've also discovered water does NOT help me but a cup of tea sweetened with stevia gives both a full feeling and a sweet craving combo making it much better.

Chia seeds are a new full trick. It's a 60 calorie compromise but one tablespoon of dry chia seeds expands 9 times their size so I've been adding them to yogurt, smoothies, etc. I can now go most of the day on just a yogurt and chia seeds.

Spinach is my new buddy too. I add spinach to EVERYTHING. I whopping handful of it! Scrambled eggs with spinach, sandwiches, I even threw out the taco shells and replaced them with spinach!

Pretzel sticks, goldfish crackers, and popcorn too. They are a nice substitute to chips and other salty snacks and you feel like you get a decent amount for the calorie allotment making it feel like there more quantity than what there really is.

And here's a trick I learned the other day... if you're the type not to go without salad dressing and you can't bring yourself to use vinegar and oil... try adding juicy fruits to your salad like pineapple and oranges. There's so much flavor in them that you don't miss the dressing. AND try making your own flavored oils or vinegars!

Cucumbers are gross but celery isn't too bad. Watermelon and I have a new friendship. Strawberries are also a new BFF.

These are all my new tricks! Hope they help some of you too!