Starting Protein?

Options
rsclause
rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
Have just reached my weight goal and want to tone up a bit while I maintain. I don't want to get so big that i will need to buy new clothes again so bulk is not the goal here. I do some mild weight lifting (Nautilus) three days a week and work my Abs daily (runtastic six pack). I do run about 25 miles a week too. I am looking for recommendations on what type and amount of protein to add. Tasty would be a plus.

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    You DO NOT NEED Whey protein, if that's what you mean.

Whey, is just a way to meet your daily protein intake, nothing more.

Eat chicken, fish, eggs, nuts, pork, steak, burgers, yogurts, cheese.

Personally, I take in 0.8g of protein per lb. of body weight. Or you can do 1g per lb., your decision.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.
    Looking over my log I am hitting somewhere between 60 and 100 grams of protein daily. According to your calcs I should be closer to 144 (180 lbs.body weight). I would like to get it all from my food choices but was thinking about adding some as a supplement. I like to tinker with my nutrition to see how it affects my strength, endurance and overall well being. I am also attempting to actually have some abs after losing my enormous beer gut. I want to lose some remaining fat but not any muscle so I thought protein may be the answer.