Sit ups= Neck pain?

Options
Every time i do sit ups i get horrible pain in the back of my neck. I do sit ups on a ball, and after about 15 sit ups, my neck is killing me, and i have to stop. Am i doing this wrong???? Any tips for my neck not to hurt so bad?

Replies

• groucherella
    Options
    It's possible you're pushing with your head rather than your body.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    For sit ups you need to focus on letting your abs do the work- right now it sounds like you are pull with/on your head and shoulders to lift yourself. Try starting with a small number and concentrate on doing them slowly with correct form.
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    As those before me said, you need to let your abs to do the work. A great way to make sure its your abs doing the work and not your arms PULLING your neck, is to put your fingers LIGHTLY behind your ears when you do sit-ups, that way you have nothing to "tug" on and you won't be pulling on your neck.

If that is not it, make sure you have proper form - your chin should not be tucked in while doing sit ups, keep your spine straight, and your neck right on top of your spine.
  • Jananilove
    Options
    I had the same problem when I started doing crunches a few weeks ago. My sister told me to look up at the ceiling, try to relax your neck, and don't bring your chin to your chest. It's been a lot better since I concentrated on doing that- it's a little hard to get used to because you have to make sure you're doing all that and concentrate on using your abs to lift yourself up, but practice helps.
  • sherhop
    sherhop Posts: 25
    Options
    Make sure you keep your eyes focused on the ceiling. I have chronic neck pain and that helps me more than anything.
  • Capucine7
    Options
    I agree with everyone above. If proper form is performed maybe your neck muscles just need to get stonger too. Don't give up.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    ditto

your neck should be open and facing the ceiling.