Too much water???

gambitsgurl
gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok, so I'm use to a lot of salt but by my diary I'm getting better. My wonder is, is there such thing as too much water? I have a 64 oz jug that I fill about 2 times a day which equals about 192 oz of water. Can this me totally messing me up?

(side note, I cried the other day and my tears were NOT salty)

thanks

Replies

• MunchkinHawk12
    MunchkinHawk12 Posts: 434 Member
    I think you're helping yourself flush out all your toxins. As long as you're not chugging it all in 5 minutes, I think you're okay! :drinker: Keep up the great work!
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    I heard of a woman who drank a bunch of water during a radio show contest and died, so I do know that too much water in a short period of time can be dangerous. I think it is called "water intoxication", you can probably get more details via google. I suspect that as long as your quantity of water is stretched over most of the day, you won't have a problem. For me, the limiting factor on how much water I drink per day is the number of trips I want to make to the bathroom. :wink:
  • Alita2011
    Alita2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Don't think so...I have a 32 ounces bottle that I fill up 4-5 times which will give me a similar amount of water. I noticed when I started that my weight went down pretty fast....

***I think that should say 128 ounces not 192! 192 is alot though!***
  • deshaine
    deshaine Posts: 195
    I have hard that too much water can cause you to be water-logged. If you're exercising and sweating a whole, whole bunch (like running a marathon), then I think you would be on target with your water. Maybe try 100 ounces a day for a while and see how that goes.

HTH...
    GL, girlfriend... You can do this!
  • I'm no expert, but I am a firm believer in that too much of anything isn't good. I think that one 62/64 oz cup is enough for a day. I don't think that you need to drink two 62/64 oz cups everyday. You're drinking way too much. You only need about 64 oz (8 servings of 8 oz) a day. I hope this helps. But I do commend you! I can't seem to go past 32 oz/day.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    If your urine is almost white, then you are drinking too much water and diluting your electrolites. If the urine is very dark yellow then, you are not drinking enough.

Yes, there is such a thing about drinking too much water. Reduce your sodium by cutting down process food, cold cuts, canned foods, etc.. Many healthy foods are already high in sodium, such as eggs, egg beaters, breads, and cottage cheese, so we should be very diligent with sodium consumption.

The MFP database has the sodium listed too high at 2500 mg, I set mine at 2000 and I try to be under as much as possible.
  • platoon
    platoon Posts: 340
    I've heard that we should drink half of our body weight in ounces... that approx. 110 ounces of water for me.

192 sounds like a lot, but I'm sure you're fine. Like Laura says, as long as you're not chugging it all at the same time.

Still - how many trips must you take to the restroom!?! Damn! I'd be more worried about your feet than your kidneys... LOL! :-)
  • You actually can drink to much water, but as long as you aren't drinking huge amounts within a few mins you are okay. I try to stay at half my body weight for water, since we can get water from foods we each as well.
  • digitalyssa
    digitalyssa Posts: 112 Member
    You have to be careful. Especially for leaching essential vitamins and nutrients out of your body. And your body does need a level of salt to function normally. My boyfriend's dad used to work at a metal forgery where it was very hot, they were used to drinking ALOT of water, but eventually they found they had to add salt to their water because they were depleting their body of sodium, and slowing down their metabolism.

Check out this article.

http://www.saltinstitute.org/Issues-in-focus/Food-salt-health
  • i drink bewtween 1.5L and 2.5L of water a day and i think that's ok? Its replaced the 12 cups of coffee a day i was having before?
  • gambitsgurl
    Thank y'all.

I TRY to stretch the first two jugs out but pound the last one before bed. I wake up swollen (and DO pee four times a night). And my pee is TOTALLY clear.

Will cut back
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    I heard of a woman who drank a bunch of water during a radio show contest and died, so I do know that too much water in a short period of time can be dangerous. I think it is called "water intoxication", you can probably get more details via google. I suspect that as long as your quantity of water is stretched over most of the day, you won't have a problem. For me, the limiting factor on how much water I drink per day is the number of trips I want to make to the bathroom. :wink:

that contest was called hold your pee for a wii! i remember that. nuts! she just kept drinking cause she wanted the wii for her kids so badly. so sad!
  • mlcdz
    mlcdz Posts: 43 Member
    I have also heard that half your weight in ounces is ideal. So, if you weigh 384 lbs, 192 oz. is good. If not, the issues of electrolyte depletion are real. If you cut back a bit, you may notice you don't feel so dragged out and/or lightheaded - not to mention you won't need so much "library" time!
  • arbragg
    arbragg Posts: 73 Member
    They actually recomend that you drink half your body weight in ounces, which for everyone does not amount to 64oz/day. I do think that if it's working for you to only drink that much then great, but if your body needs more/less than you need to listen to it.
  • gambitsgurl
    I've heard that we should drink half of our body weight in ounces... that approx. 110 ounces of water for me.

192 sounds like a lot, but I'm sure you're fine. Like Laura says, as long as you're not chugging it all at the same time.

Still - how many trips must you take to the restroom!?! Damn! I'd be more worried about your feet than your kidneys... LOL! :-)

OMG girlfriend.... I pee every 30 minutes and TRY not to pee in the car when I'm picking the kids up from school. I pee 4 times at night too. I think you are going to figure out I do everything with zealousness that may be bad for me lmao
  • gambitsgurl
    I have hard that too much water can cause you to be water-logged. If you're exercising and sweating a whole, whole bunch (like running a marathon), then I think you would be on target with your water. Maybe try 100 ounces a day for a while and see how that goes.

HTH...
    GL, girlfriend... You can do this!

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

TODAY SUCKS
  • gambitsgurl
    You have to be careful. Especially for leaching essential vitamins and nutrients out of your body. And your body does need a level of salt to function normally. My boyfriend's dad used to work at a metal forgery where it was very hot, they were used to drinking ALOT of water, but eventually they found they had to add salt to their water because they were depleting their body of sodium, and slowing down their metabolism.

Check out this article.

http://www.saltinstitute.org/Issues-in-focus/Food-salt-health

HOLY CRAP. Ok so I am drinking too much water AND not eating enough calories. I FAIL.

thank you
  • gambitsgurl
    ok. 170/2 = 85 oz. Got it.
  • MunchkinHawk12
    MunchkinHawk12 Posts: 434 Member
    I still think that as long as you are spreading it throughout the day is not going to be too bad. I know that they say half your weight in ounces, but that is the minimal amout that you need. You do need to also take in to factor what you eat and how much exercise you do. I heard about that lady and the radio contest too, but again, it was in like a 5 or 10 minute period. I too have clear urine and I'm told that it is a good thing. When I wake up in the morning, because I don't drink much while sleeping (although I do wake up and go to the bathroom and then drink more water), it's a little yellow when I wake up. You should really talk to your physician because we probably all have some sort of knowledge, but they will know what's really best for you! I usually drink around 100 ounces, only because I work 10 hour days and can't get to the water most of that time!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member

OMG girlfriend.... I pee every 30 minutes and TRY not to pee in the car when I'm picking the kids up from school. I pee 4 times at night too. I think you are going to figure out I do everything with zealousness that may be bad for me lmao

You are too young to pee 4 times a night. You need your sleep, which is very important to avoid weight gain. Do not drink any water 1 to 2 hours before going to bed. Honestly, I think that you are overdoing it, and that is not good for you either.

We can all became too obsessed with water, food, and exercise (I am guilty as sin!) in our quest to loose weigh and keep a healthy way of eating. We need to slow down and re evaluate our goals and how are we getting there.
This discussion has been closed.