does anyone have a recipe for a good vegetarian curry??

Options
does anyone on here have a recipe for a good vegetarian curry? my kids will be here in less than a week and I am trying to plan the menu while they are here. they are both vegetarian and my daughter loves curry. I had a great one that she loved loved loved but lost it somewhere. I know it had mustard seed and curry powder or paste. sweet potatoes onion carrot and coconut milk but can't remember the rest.
PLEASE HELP!!!

Replies

• becomingsara
    Options
    I can't help, but I would LOVE the recipe if someone gets it to you :0)
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    This looks sort of close: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quick-Vegetable-Curry/Detail.aspx . You could replace the potatoes with sweet potatoes and the spices with curry powder. I have a pretty good vegetable curry recipe, but it doesn't contain any of the ingredients you mentioned, except onion.
  • Arkady
    Arkady Posts: 1
    Options
    Check the net!
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    This one's really good. And super easy.
    RED LENTIL CURRY
    1/2cup red lentils
    1/4 large onion, diced
    3/4 tsp olive oil
    1 1/2 tsp curry paste
    3/4 tsp curry powder (If you're using a hot paste you can omit this powder)
    1/4 tsp turmeric
    1/4 tsp ground cumin
    1/4 tsp chili powder
    1/4 tsp sugar
    1/4 tsp minced garlic
    1/4 tsp ginger root, minced
    1/4 (14.25 oz) can tomato paste

Wash the lentils in cold water until the water runs clear. Then put the lentils into a pot with enough water to cover them. Simmer until tender, adding extra water if necessary)
    While lentils are cooking, caramelize the onions in the oil. Add curry paste, curry powder, turmeric, cumin, chili powder, sugar, garlic and ginger. Cook over high heat stirring constantly for 1 to 2 minutes.
    Stir in tomato paste reduce heat and simmer until lentils are ready.
    Drain the lentils (they should have absorbed most of the water but you don't want it to be too sloppy) Mix the curry base into the lentils and serve immediately.

Make 2 servings at 192 calories. 2.6g fat 32.5g carbs 572mg sodium 11.3g fiber 12.1 g protein
  • sallyLunn
    sallyLunn Posts: 381
    Options
    I will pretty much curry any vegetable that doesn't dive out of the pan first.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    This one's really good. And super easy.
    RED LENTIL CURRY
    1/2cup red lentils
    1/4 large onion, diced
    3/4 tsp olive oil
    1 1/2 tsp curry paste
    3/4 tsp curry powder (If you're using a hot paste you can omit this powder)
    1/4 tsp turmeric
    1/4 tsp ground cumin
    1/4 tsp chili powder
    1/4 tsp sugar
    1/4 tsp minced garlic
    1/4 tsp ginger root, minced
    1/4 (14.25 oz) can tomato paste

Wash the lentils in cold water until the water runs clear. Then put the lentils into a pot with enough water to cover them. Simmer until tender, adding extra water if necessary)
    While lentils are cooking, caramelize the onions in the oil. Add curry paste, curry powder, turmeric, cumin, chili powder, sugar, garlic and ginger. Cook over high heat stirring constantly for 1 to 2 minutes.
    Stir in tomato paste reduce heat and simmer until lentils are ready.
    Drain the lentils (they should have absorbed most of the water but you don't want it to be too sloppy) Mix the curry base into the lentils and serve immediately.

Make 2 servings at 192 calories. 2.6g fat 32.5g carbs 572mg sodium 11.3g fiber 12.1 g protein

I made this curry as a side dish the day before yesterday! It actually has a good smoky flavor, and I was really excited because it was the first time I'd ever cooked red split lentils properly. They usually come out mushy.
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine just posted this on her blog yesterday. I haven't tried it (yet), but it sure sounds good to me:

http://livinglocalwithlisa.blogspot.com/2010/10/butternut-squash-and-coconut-curry.html?spref=fb
  • LinnPitt
    Options
    thank you all for your help with this.. I have been doing searches for something that comes close to what I had.. I emailed every friend I know who had the recipe and no luck. I will try the ones posted here. that butternut squash curry really sounds yummy.
    I love the smell of curry and the taste. my daughter will be thrilled though my hubby will not be too happy about eating vegetarian for a week maybe more. lol