Log fruits and vegetables

Options
JDthe3rd
JDthe3rd Posts: 16 Member
Hi everyone, just want to get your opinions on the subject. Do you log fruits and vegetables for your daily nutrition? I only ask because they jack up my sugar/carb count typically (depending on what I'm eating) and I also know that Weight Watchers says that fruit and veggies are no points and you can eat as many as you want. Same rules apply?

Replies

• mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    No..log everything
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Not sure about anyone else but I started about 3 weeks ago and I log everything including fruits and vegetables. I want to know my total calorie count as well as carb count. (I have diabetes.)
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I weigh and log everything I eat, including fruits and vegetables. If I don't, I don't lose weight. Sad but true. Fruit and some veggies are both high in calories and can kill your deficit very quickly.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Number one, don't worry about your sugar count. Just make sure your fruits and veggies fit into your total carb goal, whatever that may be.

Number two, I log all my fruits and vegetables. Different ones are actually calorie-dense so it makes a difference at the end of the day. Other vegetables like lettuce or celery, I don't log because the calories are negligible.

Number three, Weight Watchers says fruits and veggies are zero points only because they assume that you're not going to eat 3 pounds of broccoli. They also assume that you don't count things like potatoes and corn as vegetables.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I log everything I eat & drink, precisely because they DO have carbs, potassium, sugars, and cals. Never done WW, but see a lot of WW folks ask this question when they come here. Not sure why they would have you not count a certain food that has cals.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, just want to get your opinions on the subject. Do you log fruits and vegetables for your daily nutrition? I only ask because they jack up my sugar/carb count typically (depending on what I'm eating) and I also know that Weight Watchers says that fruit and veggies are no points and you can eat as many as you want. Same rules apply?

I would be in big trouble if I would not log my fruit & vegetables. Today I plan to eat around 300 calories from vegetables ( cauliflower, peas & carrots ) and 100 from fruit ( grapefruit). Because I am under five feet tall and old, I eat 1200 calories . I cannot afford to not log more than 400 calories out of that amount. Even if you have a lot more calories available you should log all you eat, because WW and MFP are two different concepts.

Btw: Fruit and vegetables are also points in WW....they are just calculated in the whole program, but they are counted and even out over a week/month.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Food for thought,

This morning for breakfast I had 450 grams (approx 16oz) of strawberries. I know I had that many because I have a scale at my desk that I use to add up each strawberry as I at them. That many strawberries 144 Calories. That might not seem like much but it sure adds up. If i were to go over by that amount everyday that would be a pound of fat in about 24 days.

You can get fat or lose weight on strawberries, fruits in general, vegetables, whole foods, processed foods, twinkies, what ever. Only thing that matters is how much you take in and how much you burn at the end of the day.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I stopped logging most vegetables because I eat so many diff kinds and so much in a day it was becoming WAY too tedious to keep track of it all. If I have sizeable amount of corn, potatoes, carrots, other carby veggie then maybe I'll log em.

Fruits though I don't skip.

Figure if I stay consistent with logging the rest, I'll still have a good idea of how much I eat and can adjust accordingly because those veggies are somewhat a stable input in my daily life.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    1. Log everything (this isn't WW - can't mix and match just your most favorite parts of various programs and expect good results)
    2. Fruit and Vegetables have calories - and all kinds of other goodness you should check
    3. Unless you have a medical issue change from tracking sugar to tracking fiber - it's way more useful.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    MFP is about calories and fruits and vegetables have calories. Not tons, but enough to matter in the course of a day, especially if you eat those that will make any significant difference to your sugar/carb count. My breakfast was 367 calories, and 76 of those were fruits or vegetables, and the only fruit I ate was low calorie blueberries. If I'd had a banana or apple today that number would be higher.

Anyway, I log everything, in part because I like to have a good macro count and also so I know that I've been eating as many fruits and vegetables as I like.

But you also can generally ignore the sugar tracker. Lots of people track something else instead.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I log everything I eat.
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I stopped logging most vegetables because I eat ...so much in a day it was becoming WAY too tedious to keep track of it all.

If you eat a lot of it, wouldn't that make it even more important to log it?
    ...those veggies are somewhat a stable input in my daily life.

If you have about the same amount each day, why not weigh it and log it once, and just use that entry every day if it's about the same every day?

Just a thought.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Since this isn't Weight Watchers and vegetables and fruits have calories, macros, and micros, of course they should be logged.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    On average, I have 250 calories every day just from fruit. I haven't run long term averages on veggies, but I'm guessing I have 100-300 cals a day in veggies.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Since this isn't Weight Watchers and vegetables and fruits have calories, macros, and micros, of course they should be logged.

^this

(Side note holy crap your legs :love: )
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    On average, I have 250 calories every day just from fruit. I haven't run long term averages on veggies, but I'm guessing I have 100-300 cals a day in veggies.

This rings true for me also, so if I wasn't logging my fruits and vegetables my intake would look pitifully low.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Log. Everything.

/thread
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I log fruit, potatoes, corn, carrots, and other starchy/sugary things, and the first few times I eat a 'new' vegetable (that I haven't tracked before) I log it just to see how many calories it is. If it's negligible (which for me is <50 cals), I don't usually bother after the first few times. Like lettuce, spinach, asparagus, broccoli, etc. If I was stuck in a plateau or started gaining weight, I'd start tracking them, but right now I try to stay within 100 cals of my daily goal and I seem to be doing okay (aside from a few non-vegetable related transgressions).
  • rebalee8
    rebalee8 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I just looked at my fruits and vegetables for today. I haven't logged dinner yet and I've already eaten 495 calories of fruits and vegetables. Not logging them would blow my deficit.

I don't pay attention to sugar, since mfp treats sugars that naturally occur in foods and added sugar exactly the same. If there was a count that was just added sugars then I'd pay attention to it.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If I steal one baby carrot from the fridge or put 2 calories worth of spinach on my sandwich, I might not log it. Anything else I do log, though. Those extra calories could easily wipe out my deficit if I'm not tracking them.