I need help when it comes to buying and preparing meals

Options
2»

Replies

• jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    As for my eating habits, I cook. I bought a lot of frozen and raw vegetables. I have been baking all of my meats. Breakfast is a challenge for me because I don't and can't eat scrambled eggs. I have been like this since I was a child. I have been eating anything really, like multi-grain cereal, sausage (bad), banana, or yogurt. I'm not much of a breakfast person. I have never been. It's hard for me to eat in the morning. I don't get hungry until 12:00 or 1:00 p.m.

I appreciate all of the advice that you all have given me. :)

I'm sure somebody is gonna argue with me about this, but I'll put it out there anywhere.
    The reason sausage is (or was?) considered bad is mainly because of the saturated fat content (there's also the nitrates, but that's a different debate). But more recent studies have debunked that myth; saturated fat does not cause heart disease. Fat is a steady burning fuel source. Whereas carbs burn out quickly, leaving you hungry again. So if you're having trouble feeling satisfied with what you're eating, you should reduce your carbs, and replace those calories with fat. I'm not saying to eat low-carb. Just take what you're eating now and reduce the carb total by maybe 20 g/day. After a week, decide if you're comfortable or reduce it again.

Another point is that you should listen to your body. If you don't want to eat at "breakfast" time, then don't. Just prepare some food so it's handy when you are ready to eat. Eating when you're not hungry doesn't really help you much. Similarly, if you don't like scrambled eggs, don't eat them.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    As for my eating habits, I cook. I bought a lot of frozen and raw vegetables. I have been baking all of my meats. Breakfast is a challenge for me because I don't and can't eat scrambled eggs. I have been like this since I was a child. I have been eating anything really, like multi-grain cereal, sausage (bad), banana, or yogurt. I'm not much of a breakfast person. I have never been. It's hard for me to eat in the morning. I don't get hungry until 12:00 or 1:00 p.m.

I'm sure somebody is gonna argue with me about this, but I'll put it out there anywhere.
    The reason sausage is (or was?) considered bad is mainly because of the saturated fat content (there's also the nitrates, but that's a different debate). But more recent studies have debunked that myth; saturated fat does not cause heart disease. Fat is a steady burning fuel source. Whereas carbs burn out quickly, leaving you hungry again. So if you're having trouble feeling satisfied with what you're eating, you should reduce your carbs, and replace those calories with fat. I'm not saying to eat low-carb. Just take what you're eating now and reduce the carb total by maybe 20 g/day. After a week, decide if you're comfortable or reduce it again.

Another point is that you should listen to your body. If you don't want to eat at "breakfast" time, then don't. Just prepare some food so it's handy when you are ready to eat. Eating when you're not hungry doesn't really help you much. Similarly, if you don't like scrambled eggs, don't eat them.

Agree! In regards to sausage, there are plenty of more natural options out there, that have less of the "bad" stuff (like nitrites. I personally try to limit my consumption of those!), but are still able to fit into your macros. I personally don't eat those sausages you get in that yellow box anymore (I think they're by Banquet?), or anything that you can find in the freezer section. I've seen a brand called Al Fresco in the grocery store, and they have a chicken sausage that is apparently awesome. If you're looking to try and eat breakfast, or at least try out a new sausage that can fit in your macros, I'd def recommend it.

Here's their website with an example of one of their product for you to scope out:
    http://www.alfrescoallnatural.com/products/dinner-fresh-chicken-sausage
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You dont have to eat breakfast if you dont like it.

It's OK for your stomach to rumble now and then.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You can find grocery lists on some websites to start, I like bodybuilding.com
    You should definitely cook for yourself, you have to know everything that you are putting in your body if you are serious about losing weight. Counting calories is very important, which means weighting and measuring everything you eat. One tablespoon of olive oil to pan fry something, add it in there. If someone cooks for you, then you will never know. And since they don't care instead of one tablespoon, here goes 5 :sick:

Buy vegetables, tons of vegetables, they fill you up but have very few calories. Anything that I can find at the store that looks fresh I buy and then I either grill or sautéed them. Buy things like egg whites, peanut butter, sweet potato, chicken breast, turkey sausage, wheat pasta, wheat bread, oatmeal, cottage cheese...

I am married and have two kids, they do not eat the food I eat. So I cook for them everyday but I pre plan my meals twice a week. I peel and chop things then put in a Ziploc bag, things like onions, sweet potatoes, zucchini, bell peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes. That way cooking actually takes 15 minutes, add stuff to the pan and take it out when it's tender. Don't forget to season it well.

I also boil chicken breast, shred it and season it to have it ready to add to my plates. If you feel like pasta, put the pasta to boil, on a pan add onions and garlic, let it brown, add tomatoes and a bit of water or chicken broth until you have a sauce, add mushrooms and the chicken and voila! You got yourself a meal in less than 15 minutes.

Good luck, my best advice is to buy and cook your own food and definitely plan ahead. The worse thing is to be caught hungry without healthy food prepared, especially if you live in a house where others have unhealthy food available, you will eventually reach for that.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Why would you eat a sausage that's gone bad??
  • sdeloris37
    sdeloris37 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I read an article where they said it's not good to starve yourself for too long. So I like to eat something when stomach growls, but the article said your body can go in starvation mode or something. I have to find the article and post it. I guess it was saying it's good to eat something for breakfast. instead of waiting a long time to eat. I don't know. I have to find the article.

This morning I ate about 11:00 a.m. and I hate one sausage link, the little ones, even though, some of you may say it's bad. One thing that I have been doing since I started cooking for myself is to make sure my lunch and dinner has some sort of vegetable. Last night, I had broccoli and baked pork chops, probably not the best choice of foods, but I haven't given up meat quite yet. lol. I ate probably 2 servings of broccoli in order to fill myself up. I didn't get hungry at all during the night.
  • jrose1982
    Options
    Last night, I had broccoli and baked pork chops, probably not the best choice of foods, but I haven't given up meat quite yet. lol. I ate probably 2 servings of broccoli in order to fill myself up. I didn't get hungry at all during the night.

Sounds like a pretty good meal to me.
  • jrose1982
    Options
    I read an article where they said it's not good to starve yourself for too long. So I like to eat something when stomach growls, but the article said your body can go in starvation mode or something. I have to find the article and post it. I guess it was saying it's good to eat something for breakfast. instead of waiting a long time to eat. I don't know. I have to find the article.

There's conflicting information about this. Some "experts" warn against skipping a meal; others tell you to eat small meals every couple of hours; others recommend intermittent fasting (i.e. occasionally skipping a meal or two). I've found that most days I'm comfortable with just two meals: lunch and dinner. I usually don't feel hungry in the evening. My energy levels are good, and I'm still averaging 2.4 lbs/week.

You're just going to have to try some different routines and pick one that works for you.
  • sdeloris37
    sdeloris37 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Oh, OK. I have been eating breakfast or brunch since it's so late in the morning because my stomach is growling. I don't have much energy throughout the day. Maybe I'm not cooking the right food. I don't know.