Uses for Mashed Bananas?

Options
I like bananas, but sometimes I don't eat them fast enough and they go beyond the point of ripeness at which I can eat them. I used to mash them and use them for banana bread, but I'm not brave enough to try sugar-free/no sugar added baking quite yet. Can mashed banana be frozen? If not what can mashed banana be used for other than banana bread? Keep in mind that I am not fond of cooking and I'm just now starting to branch out from old, familiar recipes--so keep the suggestions simple, please!

Replies

• akolacz
    akolacz Posts: 13
    Options
    As an ingredient in your protein pancakes ;-)
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Freeze them in ice cube trays and use them in smoothies.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Mashed bananas should be able to be frozen. What we do is just throw the whole banana in the freezer when it gets past edible and then pull them out as needed for bread, muffins, smoothies, etc.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    -smoothies
    -mashed in oatmeal with cinnamon
    -mashed with oatmeal and baked for kinda sucky cookies
  • Suneeta2014
    Suneeta2014 Posts: 22
    Options
    Bananananana Bread, Gluten-Free version of course.

Ice Cream, - no sugar, blender needed
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I freeze my bananas all the time once they've gone beyond what I like to eat. You can freeze them whole in skin or you can freeze your mash. If you make bread, you can even pre measure it for what you'd need in the recipe and freeze that portion. I'm all about keeping it easy.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    -smoothies

Yep, this.

I like to dice bananas and then freeze them in a container, pull 'em out & thaw a bit and then add a little bit of milk or almond milk and a bit of PB or honey and blend in the blender, not drinkable like a smoothie but a thicker, remotely ice creamy type of substance...pretty delicious actually.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    These all sound like great suggestions (except for the yucky cookies)! Thanks! Any others out there?

Edited to add:

Do I need to do anything to the ice cube tray to keep the banana from sticking? Also, how many cubes should I use for smoothies or the ice creamy-type banana whip?
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    -smoothies

Yep, this.

I like to dice bananas and then freeze them in a container, pull 'em out & thaw a bit and then add a little bit of milk or almond milk and a bit of PB or honey and blend in the blender, not drinkable like a smoothie but a thicker, remotely ice creamy type of substance...pretty delicious actually.

This sounds amazing!
  • mediamogulsteve
    mediamogulsteve Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can freeze mashed bananas. The ice crystals help with smoothie texture.

Speaking of frozen: banana ice cream is another application.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal banana cookies (I see someone else isn't such a fan)...but they are really more like banana bread bites, if you will. I love mixing up the ingredients...chocolate chips, nuts, peanut butter chips, coconut flakes or a combo. They freeze well too which is a good thing because they mold fast. I make a ton at once, freeze them in small baggies and take out a pack every week to take to work for snacks. They are low cal and healthy. Skinnytaste.com has a good basic recipe and instructions if this is up your ally. She calls them "Healthy Cookies".
  • LittleLazySheep
    LittleLazySheep Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Banana Pancakes! (I love these) just get one banana mash it then mix it with 2 eggs. Pour into a pan and cook like normal pancakes :)

Also I know a lot of people make ice-cream from banana which apparently is really nice (have yet to try this)
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    When they are aboutto go, slice them and freeze them flat. Freeze the mashed too. Put into smoothies or oatmeal.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can freeze brown bananas. Not sure about if they are already mashed or not, but I don't see why not.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal banana cookies (I see someone else isn't such a fan)...but they are really more like banana bread bites, if you will. I love mixing up the ingredients...chocolate chips, nuts, peanut butter chips, coconut flakes or a combo. They freeze well too which is a good thing because they mold fast. I make a ton at once, freeze them in small baggies and take out a pack every week to take to work for snacks. They are low cal and healthy. Skinnytaste.com has a good basic recipe and instructions if this is up your ally. She calls them "Healthy Cookies".

The cookies sound great! All we need is for them to be sugar free (or for them to be able to be made sugar free) and we're in business! I'll check out the site for sure.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    baby food.

Lubricant.
  • KarissaA
    KarissaA Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't mash them first, but you could freeze them. Make smoothies, thaw for banana bread, or puree with some cocoa & honey for "ice cream". Slice before freezing & dip in chocolate for homemade "dole dip 'ems".

http://www.thekitchn.com/dont-toss-them-10-uses-for-rip-149889

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelysanders/delicious-ways-to-use-up-old-bananas

I'm about to go try the "pudding", I think!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    LYFE CHANGING 2-INGREEDIANT KOOKIES
  • kirstylewis16
    kirstylewis16 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ok, gonna sound like a fruitloop here, but I have always had banana sandwiches since a tot. Mashed on buttered bread sounds mad but yummy.
    Another weird one, cheese on toast with mashed banana n raisens under the grill for a couple o mins.
    have t try the crazy t get t the good :)
  • mediamogulsteve
    mediamogulsteve Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    baby food.

Lubricant.

Wait, what?

or...
    Which came first?