Lost in the Machines

Options
Am I the only girl who feels lost among the machines in my gym? I consider myself to be a fairly smart girl. I'm certainly not unfamiliar to all of these machines, but the reality is - I have no idea what I'm doing. I will focus on a major muscle group per day - arms one day, abs and back next, then legs. I do three sets of 12 reps and keep note of my weight, trying to increase it when I can. But I just made that up system up, honestly. And I am in no way qualified to do that. Am I doing enough? Am I doing too much? Am I using the right machines?

I realize I could opt to hire a trainer, but that is simply not in my financial cards. So every day I'm heading into the gym and facing those intimidating machines, who seem to be mocking me. Any further education you could arm me with in this battle would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I prefer free weights, as the machines only move in one direction, so they aren't working your core or stabilizers. However, free weights can be daunting and even dangerous without a spotter.

I would invest in at least one good reference book...The New Rules of Lifting for Women is a good one that a lot of us follow, and Strong Curves is another which I've heard good things about, but have never read myself. They will give you a better idea of a direction to go in the gym.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Free Weights > Machines. Do yourself a favor NOW and learn how to use free weights (barbells, dumbbells, kettlebells, etc.)

As a newbie, you're going to want to do Full Body workouts 2-3x a week. Compound Lifts are the best thing you can do to gain strength as they use the most muscles. There's a large movement on this forum for the big lifts with barbells - Deadlifts, Squats, Bench Press, Barbell Rows. While I 100% agree they should be a huge part of any lifting routine, they are intimating for a beginner, especially if you don't educate yourself and/or get a GOOD trainer to access your mobility and show you good form. That said, there's a ton of information on the internet. Book wise New Rules of Lifting is a good one as mentioned.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    A good beginner's program is Strong Lifts. You can get the app free on your phone. It's simple, doesn't take long, and you can get amazing results.