Calories and Weight Loss

Options
How often do you recalculate your calories? Every 10 pounds lost? 20? When does it make a big enough difference that you should adjust how many calories you are taking in?

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I think MFP wants you to recalc every 10 pounds lost. I don't really think it would make more than 100 calories difference, but why not.
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    MFP does it automatically I believe, when you enter your weight, although I don't know the increments. But you could play around with it and find out, by entering different weights and looking at the change in your calorie allowance. My calorie allowance went down at some point between my weights of 213.9 and 190.9, I am not sure when.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I set a custom calorie goal based on my TDEE (daily activity + exercise). I usually readjust every 5 lbs, or if I change my exercise level drastically. If you are following MFP, they will adjust it for you, based on your weight changes.
  • rainbowunicorns720
    rainbowunicorns720 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I set a custom calorie goal as well (one that includes TDEE and LBM). Was just curious how often I should recalculate. Thanks for the replies!
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    MFP does it automatically when you weigh in. But you can change your goals manually whenever you want to.
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Recalculate ahead of time, just to get a sense of how much it changes. In my case it was ~50 calories per 5 lbs lost. I try to update my goals every 10 lbs lost but I don't sweat it. I try to stay at a ~500 calorie deficit, so worst case, I'll only be at a ~400 deficit after losing 10 lbs.
  • rainbowunicorns720
    rainbowunicorns720 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea Kotu! I'm going to go calculate the difference now.