Who's from Houston, Tx?

Options
2»

Replies

• texasbeu2y
    texasbeu2y Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I live in HTown... Well it is a beautiful ugly city. I'll explain. The people are laid back and friendly...There are many opportunities here, rather it be owning your own business, working in the private sector, or work with the state or local governments....There are many many places to eat....There are numerous bars/clubs and venues to visit....There are many parks, trails, and golf courses. The museum/art/theater district is very nice and worth a visit. The ugly. The streets are infested with pot holes. You will have to buy new tires often. It's big and sprawling so having a car is a must. There is public transportation, but it does not extend into the suburbs. Traffic is everywhere all the time. Other than that Houston is nice.
  • Deeloveli
    Options
    I moved here from San Diego. So I'm familiar with the transition you're about to make.

It's much more of an urban center than SD. It feels more like a city. Downtown isn't where people go to hang out like SD. It does have these great neighborhoods that have their own character. I'll draw some parallels for you.

Hillcrest=Montrose
    Midtown= Gaslamp
    PB=Washington (with out the beach of course)

What neighborhood are you in SD? I lived on the NorthPark/Hillcrest edge and loved it. There's great food, great shopping and cool people. You WILL need a car. Public transportation is a joke. Don't bother. You'll have to get used to the weather. I'm still adjusting, but it's nice to "seasons" sort of.

I'm happy to answer any questions you have.
  • marby534
    marby534 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've lived in Texas all my life and in Houston since 1986. We have nice mild winters and brutally hot, humid summers. My new boss is from Boston and he's kind of afraid to go outside.

This is a very conservative area compared to San Diego. We have a vibrant Arts scene and plenty of sports teams. We have nice parks, especially Memorial Park near Downtown.

I'd rather live in San Diego, I must admit. :)
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Ive been here since the end of June. I'm in Atascocita. So far people are really nice. I like the area. I'd like the heat much better if I bought a house with a pool. We haven't met many people, cuz no one goes outside. I'm looking forward to not having any snow. Things that are strange to me here: No one uses their garages for cars, lizards running around, no one complains about the heat (people in Illinois are whiners about heat and cold). Oh and I love love love HEB.

A lady in The Woodlands' house was broken in to last weekend. They stole jewelry and hand bags out of her 3000 square foot, three story closet. My whole house is 2900 square feet!!! Crazy

That lady was crazy. There are lots of people with money in Houston who don't really know what to do with it.

People will be outside more once school starts and the weather cools down some -taking the humidity with it.

Not sure if a pool would solve your problems, the water still gets warm but they are nice to have.

Our cars are too big for standard garage door sizes, so if you don't have a double door you can forget it. Unless you drive a small sport car or motorcycle.
  • SofaKingRad_II
    Options
    I'm in Houston. I moved here a little over a year ago from Phoenix, AZ.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I'm in Houston. I moved here a little over a year ago from Phoenix, AZ.

The humidity for you must be killer!