Heart Rate Monitor and Gym Equipment

Options
So I got a heart rate monitor a few weeks ago, and decided to try it out whilst working on one of the machines at the gym. It's a new machine and I found that it "syncs" with my heart rate monitor wirelessly, so no need to hold the handles. Anyway, my weight and age are input in both my phone app and the gym equipment, and both are registering my heart rate as the same. So why is it that the gym equipment says I'm burning nearly double the calories my phone app says? Any thoughts?

If they're reading the same information, where's it pulling the calories burned from? (And I am trusting the HRM exclusively for logging exercise, just because the number is always lower.)

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    So I got a heart rate monitor a few weeks ago, and decided to try it out whilst working on one of the machines at the gym. It's a new machine and I found that it "syncs" with my heart rate monitor wirelessly, so no need to hold the handles. Anyway, my weight and age are input in both my phone app and the gym equipment, and both are registering my heart rate as the same. So why is it that the gym equipment says I'm burning nearly double the calories my phone app says? Any thoughts?

If they're reading the same information, where's it pulling the calories burned from? (And I am trusting the HRM exclusively for logging exercise, just because the number is always lower.)

It is really hard to say. The gym equipment may or may not be basing the calories estimate on the HR even if it takes it.

What were your readings and what did you do (time, distance, type of activity, etc)? What app is it?
  • givingitmybest
    givingitmybest Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I actually had this same issue in the past, and finally figured it out.

Although the gym equipment reads and displays your heart rate, it does not factor it into calories burnt like your watch/phone does. It's nice to see the number without looking at my arm or phone, but don't bother even putting your weight and age into the machine...the calories burnt on the machine has zero to do with what's actually happening for you. You're right on to just use what your Heart Rate Monitor says.
  • tweedledee16
    tweedledee16 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

It is really hard to say. The gym equipment may or may not be basing the calories estimate on the HR even if it takes it.

What were your readings and what did you do (time, distance, type of activity, etc)? What app is it?

My HR was running between 150-160 bpm, and I was working for about 45 minutes today on the Pracor Open Stride Machine (weird elliptical that lets you go in any direction). HRM said I burnt 283, machine said 600 and change.

I'll stick with the HRM, I suppose!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

My HR was running between 150-160 bpm, and I was working for about 45 minutes today on the Pracor Open Stride Machine (weird elliptical that lets you go in any direction). HRM said I burnt 283, machine said 600 and change.

I'll stick with the HRM, I suppose!

Yes, sometimes the machines can be accurate but that is quite a high number for that period of time.

I always go with the lowest anyway.
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Machines are notorious liars. Especially ellipticals for some reason. Your hrm will be reasonably accurate.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I search for my question before I post! I just had this happen today and wondered the exact thing myself. I just got my HRM, used it for the first time today. Machine synced with it and machine said I burned 412, HRM said 306.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options

Did you enter your weight?
  • meltoine
    meltoine Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I was curious about this too. I just got a HRM and I was previously going by what the machine said. According the the machine I burn about 180 cals on the treadmill for 25 mins, whereas my HRM said 295. So my readings are opposite yours with the machines being lower.