Net calories more than my remaining calories

Options
My calorie goal is 1810 and so far I've eaten 1572 and burned 179 through exercise. My net is 1393... I've heard that I have to eat my net calories back, but if I eat more than my goal, wouldn't that be counter productive to me losing weight? Maybe I just don't understand what net calories are

Replies

• nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Net calories = the amount you've eaten minus what you've burned through exercise.

If your calorie burn is accurate then eating back the exercise calories is not counterproductive to weight loss.
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat them back but some people do.
    You might be eating more calories than your goal, but your exercise burns those extras off if you do choose to eat then back.

So if you were to eat 1989 calories (179 cal above your goal), your 179 calorie burn would account for those extra calories and you would still be at your goal.
    Now most people who do eat back their calories only eat back a percentage because calorie burn isn't 100% accurate but it is mostly accurate.

Personally, I say if you're hungry, eat them back. If you're not hungry, then don't.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    It is set to eat exercise calories back (careful they aren't over estimated). Your Net should be your goal. So you eat goal plus some exercise calories back. MFP sets your deficient without exercise.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    You don't eat the net calories, you eat the exercise calories so that your net comes close to your daily goal.
  • xmusicloverr
    xmusicloverr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I aim to get my net close to my daily goal? I thought I had to aim for my net to be close to zero
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I aim to get my net close to my daily goal? I thought I had to aim for my net to be close to zero
    NO.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You don't eat the net calories, you eat the exercise calories so that your net comes close to your daily goal.
    if you're using MFP as intended. Follow this.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    If your net was zero, it would mean your body is getting absolutely no fuel to function.

Your net goal already has a deficit in mind, so if exercise is putting you below your net goal, then you should eat more to meet that goal. Your net should always exceed 1200 as that is the absolute bare minimum most people need to meet their macro needs for the day.
  • xmusicloverr
    xmusicloverr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Oh man. I know nothing, wow. Thanks so much for your help, everyone!