1101112131416»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

1nat·u·ral
    adjective \ˈna-chə-rəl, ˈnach-rəl\

: existing in nature and not made or caused by people : coming from nature
    : not having any extra substances or chemicals added : not containing anything artificial
    : usual or expected

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/natural
    Natural does not equal healthy. In the same vein, artificial does not equal unhealthy.
    Here are some natural things, should I eat them? Hemlock, English Yew, lead, arsenic.

Eat whatever you want, natural or not, healthy or not. Someone asked what was not natural about aspartame, so I provided an answer.

So there are no dipeptide methyl esters in nature? Just because something is mass produced through chemical synthesis does not mean that the original basis for it wasn't a natural product.

aspartame is a man-made product. Man-made =/= natural. Ever.

I see. So if nature creates a simple molecule like ethanol (CH3-CH2-OH) then that is natural ethanol. But if humans look at that, figure out its chemical make-up and regenerate it using chemical synthesis to make CH3-CH2-OH then that ethanol is NOT natural.

That would be an example I think of language failing us. Ethanol is ethanol.

Aspartame is created synthetically by chemical steps because its cheaper to do it that way, but methyl-esters of amino acid dipeptides exist naturally as well.

Similar to how human insulin is "natural" and yet any human insulin a diabetic injects into themselves was created from E.coli genetically engineered to produce human insulin, again because its cheaper and more practical to harvest human insulin en mass from GMO bacteria rather than the old method of using pig insulin harvested from huge vats of collected pig blood. Does that mean that that particular human insulin isn't natural?

Language gets confused if you stick hard to definitions rather than look at the purpose of the language. The purpose of referring to something as being natural is to say that it was naturally created, not to say that if humans find out how to recreate it it ceases to be natural.

Sorry, but I still disagree. But, as I've already stated, I like the dictionary and using words as they are defined. Otherwise, there is no way to know what is really being said. Natural means from nature, not from man. Otherwise there would be no need for words like artificial, synthetic or man-made.

edit: typo
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I still disagree. But, as I've already stated, I like the dictionary and using words as they are defined. Otherwise, there is no way to know what is really being said. Natural means from nature, not from man. Otherwise there would be no need for words like artificial, synthetic or man-made.

I know we are beating a dead horse at this point but I just want to make myself clear as possible. I am not trying to say that something made through man directed chemical reactions is not a synthetic product, it is. What I am saying is if the end product molecular structure is identical to the molecular structure of the exact same molecule produced in nature (as in my example of ethanol) then the distinction between "synthetic" and "natural" is merely a language based semantic one that has NOTHING to do with its effects on our health.

CH4 is CH4 whether its farted out of a cow or produced in a lab. I get tired of people (not necessarily you) making this vapid assumption that nature = good, synthetic = bad.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

I know we are beating a dead horse at this point but I just want to make myself clear as possible. I am not trying to say that something made through man directed chemical reactions is not a synthetic product, it is. What I am saying is if the end product molecular structure is identical to the molecular structure of the exact same molecule produced in nature (as in my example of ethanol) then the distinction between "synthetic" and "natural" is merely a language based semantic one that has NOTHING to do with its effects on our health.

CH4 is CH4 whether its farted out of a cow or produced in a lab. I get tired of people (not necessarily you) making this vapid assumption that nature = good, synthetic = bad.

You are just NOW getting tired of it? :wink:
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

You are just NOW getting tired of it? :wink:

You know I get that a lot. I suppose I do have a bit of a reputation amongst friends for being frustratingly stubborn. And yes, the "chemicals are bad m'kay" attitude is something that has rubbed me the wrong way for more than just this thread.