Question for the ladies..

Options
About a week ago I started adding lifting to my routine.. I love lifting and I started running 4 weeks ago.. I love how active I have become!! BUT! I am a week late... I have taken 3 tests, all came back negative.... I was wondering if I should continue my lifting and running as usual or if i should take it easy for a little longer and take another test?? I know changing your activity level can mess with your cycle a little.... I don't have a problem going to the DR... But I don't have insurance so i'd like to avoid those costs..

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Lots of things can make people irregular - both activity and stress and weight loss. You've taken 3 tests. Unless you have a reason to think you might be pregnant, give it a two more weeks then test again.
  • karmac0matic
    karmac0matic Posts: 285
    Options
    Yeah, I would follow the first responder's advice.

Since I started working out/eating differently, my period's been way off. I was bleeding for two weeks straight but not when I was supposed to be and now I'm supposed to be and I'm not ! Haha. Our bodies are weird.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm on birth control and even with that my first 2 weeks of working out caused some irregularities. Carry on, it will go back to normal.
  • Jenny8511
    Jenny8511 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a normal period since I've started losing weight.

... are you having any symptoms of being pregnant? If you've taken multiple tests (correctly? First thing in the morning?), and you are sure you are a week late, and they are still negative... then I'm sure it's just being off from your change in lifestyle.
  • StarvingInSuburbia
    Options
    It's three tests, so I don't think you're pregnant unless you're showing symptoms.

It's probably just the change in your lifestyle. But make sure that you're getting proper nutrition. When I started trying to lose weight I didn't have enough nutrients and lost my period for a while. Once I had started getting iron, calcium, and vitamin D back into my daily diet, it came back.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    A change in your activity level can delay your ovulation, which would make your period start later than normal. Your luteal phase (post ovulatory phase) will normally remain constant, within a day or two, so you might think your period is late when really you just ovulated later than you're used to ovulating. Also, anovulatory cycles can occur as well, which will throw off your cycle. If you are sexually active then you might want to test again in a week if you still haven't gotten your period. If you're not, one off cycle isn't really anything to worry about.