Dry vs. Wet Carb Refeed?

Options
If i had a refeed on a non-workout day that is 10% calories over maintenance, twice the amount of carbs of a regular day and drink alot of water, would it have the same overall effects/benefits as if i had that same refeed but with little/no water on that day?

Replies

• rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    People avoid the water because they don't want to bloat the next day. It's just for ascetics. You should never really deprive yourself of water, I think. All that stuff is academic anyways. Unless you're a competitive bodybuilder looking for every possible edge you can get, why bother?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    I don't drink water, sorry can't help.
  • youngcalorieburner
    Options
    People avoid the water because they don't want to bloat the next day. It's just for ascetics. You should never really deprive yourself of water, I think. All that stuff is academic anyways. Unless you're a competitive bodybuilder looking for every possible edge you can get, why bother?
    I heard that it makes you lose water the day after and i think i am holding alot of water because for some reason. I havent lost any weight from my last refeed which was structured exactly as my first example in my question and i got all bloated in the face, stomach, legs and arms, and even though this whole week ive been sweating in my workouts and have been drinking tons of water, i havent lost it, im getting very discouraged and i feel like im not getting anywhere.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Having done very high carb refeeds during a CKD I can tell you that a dry refeed is horrible. I never want to attempt that. I already wake up in the middle of the night because of thirst.

If you're refeed is to increase leptin and replenish glycogen stores then I don't think a dry refeed has any benefit.

If it is for aesthetics then you will have to experiment I'd say.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    I heard that it makes you lose water the day after and i think i am holding alot of water because for some reason. I havent lost any weight from my last refeed which was structured exactly as my first example in my question and i got all bloated in the face, stomach, legs and arms, and even though this whole week ive been sweating in my workouts and have been drinking tons of water, i havent lost it, im getting very discouraged and i feel like im not getting anywhere.

You feel bloated from a 10% above TDEE refeed? I'd be switching up carb sources to see how your body reacts to different types of carbs.

My refeed schedule was like this last week. TDEE is 3200
    Mon - Wed 1600 cals
    Thu half day low cal/carb. Night time 600g carbs
    Fri 600g carbs 4500 cals
    Sat 3000
    Sun 3000

Did not feel overly bloated on the Thu or Fri but I'd say I was a bit high on the weekend (for my goals).
  • youngcalorieburner
    Options
    Having done very high carb refeeds during a CKD I can tell you that a dry refeed is horrible. I never want to attempt that. I already wake up in the middle of the night because of thirst.

If you're refeed is to increase leptin and replenish glycogen stores then I don't think a dry refeed has any benefit.

So your saying that a dry refeed will have absolutely no benefit as far as raising leptin and increasing metabolism, and will only just cause me to shed water weight?
  • chrisdavey
    Options

So your saying that a dry refeed will have absolutely no benefit as far as raising leptin and increasing metabolism, and will only just cause me to shed water weight?

You are not going to "shed water weight" with a dry carb refeed. A normally hydrated person will store about 3g of water each g of carbs. If you are not fully hydrated this amount will be reduced.

Does water weight matter? If your goal is fat loss, then I'd say no.

Some people tend to fluctuate greater with refeeds than others also. For some reason, (which was unexplainable by Lyle McDonald) some people just hold more water typically so when they refeed the scales don't actually change that much. That is basically me although I normally jump up on the second day.

I'd say majoring in the minors basically. If you are very lean and wanting to get leaner then refeeds can be beneficial (physiologically and psychologically) but at the end of day daily/weekly energy balance is what you should be focusing on. Many people on UD2 which is a CKD disregard scales altogether for the reason that over analysis is common.