Stiff/sore legs after running

Options
TRD66
TRD66 Posts: 310 Member
I've been running now for about 10 months. I ran a 10K race last week (8 days ago) but my legs (calves, really) are still a bit stiff/sore (just generally mildy uncomfortable).

I'm okay with the distance, I've done it a number of times before (including races) and I've run twice since then (4 and 5 miles). other than slight twinges at the start of the runs, I had no problems.

I'm using a bit of Deep Heat spray at the moment and it's helped, a bit, but I just can't seem to shake it.

Any other home remedies or tried and tested methods I can try?

Replies

• flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Yup, I get that too.

Stretching and massaging them after running seems to help me. Got a foam roller (The Grid) just a week ago. It hurts, but seemed to give my calves a good massage.

I also horse back ride, so I get free stretching during my rides. That helps too. When I couldn't ride for a few months, I actually developed a mild case of planar facitis from walking alot. One of the causes are the tight calf muscles and tendons, so I really focus on them alot, when stretching.

Also make sure you are getting enough potassium. That also seems to help.
  • TRD66
    TRD66 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Thanks.

Good sources of potassium; would I be right in saying bananas are one?
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    An ice bath after running will help recovery without question

Does not sound appealing in the slightest though!
  • eustaciavye
    eustaciavye Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Warm baths in epsom salts are great. However, if it's inflammation, icing is the best thing.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Get (or make) a foam roller and roll out your calves. Making a foam roller requires a pool noodle (from the dollar store) and a piece of wood dowel or pvc pipe. Total cost = $3.00.
  • stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thanks.

Good sources of potassium; would I be right in saying bananas are one?

Yes! Coconut water is also a good source of potassium and other electrolytes. I drink it before training runs during marathon training. Works for me and I much prefer it to gatorade or other sports drinks with added sugar and chemical food coloring!
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Also fennel bulbs, steamed potatoes, asparagus, zucchini...lots of other veggies too. You can google a list. Potassium is very water soluble, so it's better to steam, roast or sautée the veggies, than to cook them in water.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I would ice all sore areas and use a foam roller to massage them.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Get (or make) a foam roller and roll out your calves. Making a foam roller requires a pool noodle (from the dollar store) and a piece of wood dowel or pvc pipe. Total cost = $3.00.

duh never thought of this and have both in my garage as I type. thanks
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I'm so doing that this weekend.
  • nathan6878
    nathan6878 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I don't do running but I am on the cross training machines quite a bit and I love to ice the legs down, and then a nice hot shower just to kind of soak them a little bit, and then if that really doesn't work a couple tylenol sometimes will help to
  • TheDarkestStar87
    TheDarkestStar87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Gentle stretches straight after the race, ice and massages. You can combine the latter two by filling up a water bottle and sticking it in the freezer. As others suggested, potassium is great post run recovery food, I also find magnesium helps. Wait for about 24 hours before applying the deep heat spray, (the same company does a deep freeze spray now, did wonders for me after the last half marathon)
  • frazzlecg
    frazzlecg Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You might not want to hear this, but the best thing you can do for your legs is take a few days off. Take it from someone whose done this long enough and made enough mistakes. I tried all the remedies in the world, but it doesn't help if you don't give your muscles time to repair. And when you keep on going, you run differently with an injury so your body can compensate. Many times, that led me to have new injuries immediately following.

When I'm hurt and need to take time off, I try to turn it into a positive thing. All the time that I say I never have to do core-strengthening exercises, I now have no excuses to do. And I know these exercieses will make me stronger and less injury-prone while running. So it's a win-win. But it's a must to take time off to let your body heal. Good luck.