Maybe I missed something- no chocolate milk in schools?

Options
124»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Probably because chocolate milk = more calories. Never mind that last I heard school lunches in the US had a calorie minimum... no, that was not a typo.

That's just it though. There's not a ton more calories in Chocolate milk. Fat Free TrueMoo brand has 120 calories. The "low fat" version has 140. Regular milk has 110 calories so it's not a significant difference.

Their reasoning (I'm from CT also) is that there is a lot of SODIUM (?) and HFCS in it which I personally stay away from HFCS but again there are brands (TrueMoo) that uses cocoa and regular sugar. The state will get money if they take out the chocolate milk which is a joke because that money will go right back into their own pockets instead of going towards things like, oh say fixing the road situation? They actually put up ROAD CLOSED LOCAL TRAFFIC ONLY signs on one of the roads that leads to my house because they don't want to fill in the pot holes!

But any way, what they fail to realize is that taking out the chocolate milk isn't going to fix the obesity problem and they will end up wasting money on regular milk because the kids who preferred the chocolate won't drink it. But you will have our dumbass lawmakers backing our useless Governor and get this ridiculous law on the books.

well CT is full of idiot legislators anyway- they have a bill on the table talking about banning 2% and whole milk from schools.

I am completely un-surprised at this.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    My daughter's school gets chocolate milk once a week. Seems sensible compromise to me. If she drank it every day I wouldn't be happy, but once a week, who cares?
    So because you don't want your child having it every day, no one else's children can have it available?

No. Parents of other children are more than welcome to buy it themselves and serve it at home.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Probably because chocolate milk = more calories. Never mind that last I heard school lunches in the US had a calorie minimum... no, that was not a typo.

That's just it though. There's not a ton more calories in Chocolate milk. Fat Free TrueMoo brand has 120 calories. The "low fat" version has 140. Regular milk has 110 calories so it's not a significant difference.

Their reasoning (I'm from CT also) is that there is a lot of SODIUM (?) and HFCS in it which I personally stay away from HFCS but again there are brands (TrueMoo) that uses cocoa and regular sugar. The state will get money if they take out the chocolate milk which is a joke because that money will go right back into their own pockets instead of going towards things like, oh say fixing the road situation? They actually put up ROAD CLOSED LOCAL TRAFFIC ONLY signs on one of the roads that leads to my house because they don't want to fill in the pot holes!

But any way, what they fail to realize is that taking out the chocolate milk isn't going to fix the obesity problem and they will end up wasting money on regular milk because the kids who preferred the chocolate won't drink it. But you will have our dumbass lawmakers backing our useless Governor and get this ridiculous law on the books.

well CT is full of idiot legislators anyway- they have a bill on the table talking about banning 2% and whole milk from schools.

*rolls eyes*

Tell me about it. There's a reason why people and businesses are leaving the state. It's ridiculous. My husband and I own businesses and the taxes that we have to pay are INSANE! I'm not talking about our yearly but our QUARTERLIES!

Don't get me started! lol:laugh:
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    My daughter's school gets chocolate milk once a week. Seems sensible compromise to me. If she drank it every day I wouldn't be happy, but once a week, who cares?
    So because you don't want your child having it every day, no one else's children can have it available?

No. Parents of other children are more than welcome to buy it themselves and serve it at home.

Just like the kids who bring PB&J to school should have to sit in a special room in case someone has a peanut allergy and not the other way around?
  • N3rdyBird_
    N3rdyBird_ Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk and Peanutbutter and Jelly sandwiches have been removed from from the schools in my area. The kids can buy chocolate milk for an extra price if they want. But it's only "served" on Fridays.
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    When I was in school the least of our worries was the chocolate milk. The teachers would reward us like puppies for answering questions with candies and they had lines dedicated in the cafeteria to buy cookies, ice cream, pizza, nachos, etc. If they don't remove that then the chocolate milk/sugar thing is moot. They're going to remove the most mundane of it all and most likely keep the other stuff because it's profitable and because it's easy to motivate children with treats.

ETA: Kids are picky eaters, or at least I was. I came from a home with fantastic food always, so I rarely ate school lunches until I got a little older and could diversify my meals without just totally not eating it because it's gross. My parents would pack me a few snacks along with the staples - a pack of gummies, a cookie, something, and the teachers literally came to me one day, opened my lunch box, tore it apart making notes (I was so embarrassed) telling me that I can't eat that way, etc. I was chubby and the other kids weren't, so it was like they singled me out specifically. Then we'd have pizza day where everyone went outside and they'd order a ton of pizza and everyone would eat it, but they'd look at me really weird for eating just one piece, so I ended up just not eating it at all. The ADULTS pressured me into dieting; the kids could careless about me being the heavy one and never once made me feel weird about my weight. So, with the adult-shame on my fragile childhood psyche, I took up vegetarianism (which I've stuck to til this day on/off since childhood, lost a lot of weight too) and then they'd scrutinize my food choices and tell me I needed more meat and snacks. This later turned into an eating disorder, which I can confidently and honestly pin on the -teachers- at my elementary school. The amount of times my parents had to go to that school. Was chocolate milk the problem?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

So you only want the rest of the world to conform to your wants and needs outside of their own homes.

Good to know.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

So you only want the rest of the world to conform to your wants and needs outside of their own homes.

Good to know.

seems legit!
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options

I could be wrong, but I swear they discovered a few years ago that growing children should not be given skim milk, that the fat in whole and 2% was important for brain development.

I think the biggest issue is that recess hardly exists in a lot of schools. And playing MAY result in scrapes and bruises, and that's a big deal. It's just too risky, you know.

And of course there's the almighty standardized testing that is more important. For my niece, recess was cancelled in favor of sticking the kids in rooms so they could study for tests. My niece used to come home from school dehydrated (they wouldn't let her have water), grumpy (no time to play), and exhausted from the mental energy it requires to sit all day.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest issue is that recess hardly exists in a lot of schools. And playing MAY result in scrapes and bruises, and that's a big deal. It's just too risky, you know.

We used to play this game where a bunch of kids would get on the swings and one kid would run through them and the ones on the swings had to try to kick the person running through and the person running through had to avoid being kicked.

We also had those tire swings that actually spun without getting tangled. We'd stand on them, get them going really fast and then try to "fly" by holding on and kicking our legs out from beneath our bodies.

Those are only two examples. lol I didn't have a broken bone until I was 36 years old.
  • SeeShelle3
    SeeShelle3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

• Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    But what I found rather shocking was the report of a school teacher in which she said that many kids use to throw away their vegetables and "real" food. She compared days when hamburgers, fries and similar stuff was served with days when carrots and other vegetables were on the menue. While they need two trashcans on hamburger days they need up to ten trashcans on the other days.
    And in many poverty-stricken areas (like where I taught in rural Arkansas) school breakfast and school lunch are the only meals a lot of kids get. We'd catch tons of kids stealing extra milk to take home with them.
    I wanted to put those two posts side by side because it strikes me as a way bigger problem than whether schools offer chocolate milk or not.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

Of course there's a calorie minimum. It would be awful if they weren't being served enough food. What part of that do you find funny?

I agree. It isn't funny in the slightest. There was a trend in several school districts in 2012 to cut the calories in school lunches based on USDA recommendations, and it backfired. The lunches served were NOT enough to sustain growing kids. Yes, there's obesity here, but there are also plenty of active kids who benefit from the added calories. Athletes, for example, could easily need 5000 calories a day in their teens. a 600 calorie school lunch isn't going to do anything for them.

This happened in the school system where I worked. A senior high school boy (and like you stated, many are athletes) was being served the same amount of food as a Kindergartener. There was plenty of backlash.

Our school cafeteria is awesome and our cooks are great. Today's choices were a grilled chicken sandwich, hotdog, salad bar, vegetable toppings for chicken sandwiches and various fruits and pb&j crustables.

If anyone thinks school lunches are the cause for childhood obesity, they are sorely mistaken. I teach in a low income area and the breakfasts and lunches our kids eat at school are probably the best meals some gets each day. And in some cases maybe even the only times they eat during the day.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Well, the bill didn't pass. We're safe from terrorists for another day.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Well, the bill didn't pass. We're safe from terrorists for another day.

Whew! Well, I guess this thread can die now . . .

*taps foot*

*looks around*