Calorie Dense Food Suggestions Please!

Options
Hellooo!
I'm really new to this, I'm supposed to be eating 1200 cals a day but I'm finding it difficult to reach that. Mainly because I'm having trouble finding foods with enough caloriesbut without loads of fat. (ie peanut butter - a tablespoon only has 95 cals but 7g of fat) which I don't believe is worth eating!
Just wondered if anyone has any suggestions for what I can eat that has plenty of calories but remains relatively healthy as loads of fruit and veg just isn't enough.

Replies

• mrPopoBrah
    mrPopoBrah Posts: 10
    Options
    High carb drinks, juice/Gatorade/ occasional soft drink.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, cheese, milk, juice, soda, Gatorade etc
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid of fat - fat doesn't make us fat, too many calories do. And if you're not even reaching 1200 cals, you're in no danger of eating too many cals. :tongue:

Nuts, nut butters, avocados, bananas, olive & coconut oils.....ice cream. :smile:

Food is fuel, don't sell yourself short by slashing calories so much that you're not giving yourself the cals you need.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Why without loads of fat? The most calorie dense foods are the ones that are high in fat, because fat contains more calories per gram than either carbs or protein. Do you have a medical reason to be staying away from fat? If not, then please don't! Dietary fat is a very important nutrient. It won't make you fat (unless you are eating so much you exceed your calorie needs - which is clearly not happening right now). It's also vital for proper hormone function, and without enough fat, certain fat-soluble vitamins won't be absorbed properly..

Nuts, cheese, eggs, olive oil, nut butters (if you're not keen on peanut, there are lots of others you can try, but they are usually more expensive), seeds (eg sunflower, pumpkin, sesame), tahini, houmous, avocados, chocolate, full fat dairy products. If you're eating anything labelled "low fat" or "lite", then you can switch those for the full fat versions. If you're really struggling, some people find it easier to drink their calories - smoothies, protein shakes, full fat milk.

A lot of people when they start trying to lose weight make the mistake of thinking you have to eat certain foods and cut out certain other foods - only grilled chicken and steamed vegetables etc. Not true. Eat the foods you would normally eat, just track them and meet your calorie goal. If you're struggling because you're eating too many calories, then's the time to look for lower calorie alternatives. Keep eating the vegetables and the nutrient dense foods, but add some fat (medical conditions allowing!) and keep eating the foods you really enjoy eating.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Your body needs fat. Another vote for Peanut butter. I live for that stuff.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about fat. Its a necessary nutrient and you would literally die if you didn't eat it.

Only thing more calorie dense than fat is alcohol. But I don't know how much fun you find that.

If you really don't want to eat the fats (which are usually combined with protein and terrific nutrients) you're left with carbs. Sugary drinks, cakes, cookies, etc. Thats super unhealthy tho.

Eat fat. Burritos loaded with beans and guacamole and cheese.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Only thing more calorie dense than fat is alcohol. But I don't know how much fun you find that.
    No, fat is more calorie dense than alcohol.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    No, fat is more calorie dense than alcohol.

My bad, had them switched in my head.

Alcohol 7 calories per gram, fat is 9.
  • emclarke01
    emclarke01 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is the main culprit for this weight gain!
    Thanks guys that really helps :) my mum's always warned me to stay away from foods that are high in fat rather than in calories but I'm just trying to avoid both at the moment!
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    That is the 90's way of thinking about fat (high carb, no/low fat) Unfortunately, there are probably a lot of people on this siet trying to lose all the weight they gained during those years. You don't have to go overboard and you can stay within the MFP guidelines for fat, but fat satisfies. You will feel full longer. Cheese is extremely calorie dense. As is PB. Studies show that people who eat PB a little everyday lose more weight. (That said, I don't eat it but not because I'm against it, it just never hits my radar).