Hardest to quit

Options
I've been encountering a lot of healthy alternatives for several products and foods; however there are a couple of things that are proving very hard to quit, in my case:
- Pastries
- Salad dressing
- Coke

For you, what are the hardest things to quit or what were the things you had the most trouble with quitting and what was your alternative?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    potato chips. i switched it out for beef jerky, even more delicious and a pretty good protein source. my wallet has taken a hit though, stuff is expensive
  • VChristy07
    VChristy07 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Don't quit them entirely. I found that if I denied myself these things, I ended up going overboard on them when I caved in (and I always caved).
    So, for every glass of Coke, make sure you have at least 1 glass of water. (try a low cal version of Coke?)
    Put your dressing on the side and dip your fork in before each bite.
    Pastries...don't buy them and keep them in the house, just enjoy them when you encounter them (preferably only 1 per time!)

I can.not. have Kit Kats or Rice Krispie treats around. They are gateway foods for me...to more Kit Kats and Rice Krispie treats!!
  • deadkimmie
    deadkimmie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a terrible sweet tooth! If I am at the store i am good at restraining myself from buying it, but if my husband or if someone brings it over .......... I am done for ...... oh hello cookies...hello candy.....nom nom nom nom
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    Don't quit them entirely. I found that if I denied myself these things, I ended up going overboard on them when I caved in (and I always caved).
    So, for every glass of Coke, make sure you have at least 1 glass of water. (try a low cal version of Coke?)
    Pastries...don't buy them and keep them in the house, just enjoy them when you encounter them (preferably only 1 per time!)

I can.not. have Kit Kats or Rice Krispie treats around. They are gateway foods for me...to more Kit Kats and Rice Krispie treats!!
    i agree with this personally, but some people will find it easier to resist the temptation at all. i had to stop with chips entirely for the first month or so because id dip my hand in and without realizing it the whole bag is gone 10 minutes later lol
  • bkk40in2011
    bkk40in2011 Posts: 72
    Options
    Why not try to have those things on days when you really exercise hard? Don't treat it as a "special treat' because we know how we got to this position - well most of us, but more as a scientific reality. If you work harder you can eat more. I mow the lawn 1x a week and it is a huge yard so mowing for 3 hours gives me a great exercise calorie addition - tonight I will eat pasta. If you know that Saturdays are spent more active then use those days for the higher calorie things. As for Cokes (mine was Dr. Pepper) - I cut down and went to unsweet tea because I love it. Still go to Sonic but I order an unsweet tea. Try cutting the amount down slowly. Since I only drank 1 every other day or so I just went to 1/2 a 20oz and really enjoyed it at 125 calories. I only have them about 1x week now and never with meals because I don't really get the full enjoyment from them that way. Also it helps to think about the fact that Coke is used to clean the acid off car batteries. :ohwell:

Just thought of something else - I know I was using Dr. P in the afternoons because I was exhausted and I used to gear up for the rest of my day. Maybe you could take a cat nap. It has really helped me kick the caffeine habit. Good luck.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Sweet baked goods.

Fresh baked cookies, pies, cakes, cobblers, etc. I've never cared for packaged pasteries. They all have some similar taste that you don't get from fresh baked. I suppose it's some commonly used preservative.

I don't care how much people argue about the term, sugar has an addictive quality to it, especially when paired with white flour.

I rarely eat the baked goods I grew up on now, and only eat cake on birthdays and at weddings. And I just eat less sweets in general. But I do still occasionally make cookies or cobbler, but I use less flour and sugar, more oats, nuts and fruit.
  • koosorlose
    koosorlose Posts: 186
    Options
    chunky monkey ice cream and chickfila in general lol
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Options

Thanks for the advice, I am seeking alternatives to coke (and scaring myself with reading its effects) and natural dressings but pastries are my weak spot, being a baker and all :sad:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Actually, my answer above is a lie. While it was very, very hard to learn control around baked desserts, I did it. And I am happy with alternatives.

But I have yet to learn control over chips, especially if there is dip. If chips are in the house, I will eat them. And seaweed or kale chips, while tasty, are no substitute. There are no alternatives for chips for me.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I haven't quit anything. Alternatives are never as good as the real thing and I just end up eating both. So now, I just skip the alternative and eat what I want as long as I make room for it in my day.
  • dazkeirle
    dazkeirle Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Whisky and fried chicken :) (not together)
  • helenarriaza
    Options
    Sweet baked goods.

Fresh baked cookies, pies, cakes, cobblers, etc. I've never cared for packaged pasteries. They all have some similar taste that you don't get from fresh baked. I suppose it's some commonly used preservative.

I don't care how much people argue about the term, sugar has an addictive quality to it, especially when paired with white flour.

I rarely eat the baked goods I grew up on now, and only eat cake on birthdays and at weddings. And I just eat less sweets in general. But I do still occasionally make cookies or cobbler, but I use less flour and sugar, more oats, nuts and fruit.

I know! Prepackaged pastries have the same flavor.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

i agree with this personally, but some people will find it easier to resist the temptation at all. i had to stop with chips entirely for the first month or so because id dip my hand in and without realizing it the whole bag is gone 10 minutes later lol
    Exactly! Not everyone can eat everything in moderation at first... hello that's why we're here! lol I think it's awesome if you've reached the moderation point. Many of us haven't so to hear over and over to eat chocolate, junk carbs, salty junk & 'poptarts' (adding an eye roll) etc... we know our bodies or are learning about them as we go, so please try and be considerate when telling us if we don't eat poptarts, icecream every night and chips we'll fail. I slip when I eat those.

There are millions of ppl on MFP... not all of us have 5 lbs to lose, some have 100 lbs. to lose well, no thanks on the poptarts. I'm learning to make healthier chooses (ones that contain real nutrients). Not knocking 5lb ppl...wish I was one of them but eating poptarts with 5 lbs to lose is way different than making a habit of eating boxes of them when someone is simple carb addicted

If you can't do moderation yet...sometimes the best thing is to either alter the recipe or simple keep that food out of the house for a bit. Yup I agree, there ARE gateway drugs that are food.:tongue:

off to the gym ;o)
  • helenarriaza
    Options
    Whisky and fried chicken :) (not together)

I laughed too hard at this.
  • helenarriaza
    Options

Exactly! Not everyone can eat everything in moderation at first... hello that's why we're here! lol I think it's awesome if you've reached the moderation point. Many of us haven't so to hear over and over to eat chocolate, junk carbs, salty junk & 'poptarts' (adding an eye roll) etc... we know our bodies or are learning about them as we go.

If you can't do moderation yet...sometimes the best thing is to either alter the recipe or simple keep that food out of the house for a bit. Yup I agree, there ARE gateway drugs that are food.:tongue:

Weaning off sugary stuff is hard. Your body craves it badly.
    I find it easier to not to have it in the house.

Another thing I've been doing is bringing my own food and snacks from home (all healthy) and I only carry a bit of cash, that way my wallet does not take the impact of me going out for fast food.

So, either I eat my stuff or I don't eat anything (and not eating is not an option).
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Pastries!! Anything bready! :sick:
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I quit nothing! But I do try to kill most of my McDonalds cravings with homemade burgers. And milkshake cravings with smoothies. It works most of the time.
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Bread was hard initially, but I have been doing better lately. CHIPS are my weakness. I love potato chips. I don't keep them around the house anymore. I will eat them if they are there.
  • ritan7471
    ritan7471 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    cheese and chocolate (not together).

Friday is my cheese and chocolate day. I eat in my plan all day and then Friday night, after sauna, I indulge in cheese and chocolate.
    It helps keep me on track for the week. When I start craving I just remind myself that I can have that on Friday.

I'm losing more slowly than I would if I swore it off entirely, but that doesn't work for me long term, I always crash and go back to my old eating habits. So this time I'm trying to be a bit easier on myself. If it takes me a year and half to lose these 22kg, so be it, but at least cheese and I can be together on Friday :laugh:
  • catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Bread...definitely bread was my downfall and had to go off it cold turkey! Why not try the other 'diet' drinks...if you are ok with the sweeteners. Mountain Dew (diet), diet 7 up, diet sprite etc....diet ginger ale....maybe trying something totally different may help?