Zero carb + calorie free noodles?

Options
beccataz23
beccataz23 Posts: 34 Member
Has anyone else heard of the Zero carb + calorie free noodles? I was on blogilates and she had posted awhile back about this type of noodle that has no gluten, wheat, or soy. Has anyone tried this?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Google -- http://www.nooodle.com/pages/what-is-nooodle

I must admit they sound pretty rank to me but hey what ever floats your boat
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I had them foisted on me once. They are smell disgusting and have a slimy texture. Just eat real pasta or roll your own. You can buy a roller for <$30 on the internets.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else heard of the Zero carb + calorie free noodles? I was on blogilates and she had posted awhile back about this type of noodle that has no gluten, wheat, or soy. Has anyone tried this?

They are terrible and sauce doesn't stick to the noodles well. Only buy if you hate your tastebuds
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I use miracle noodles. Rinse really well or sit them in water for a few minutes before draining and adding to your sauces. I eat them with Indian or Thai based sauces and it works for me. Yum.
  • Goofyrunnergirl
    Options
    I tried Miracle Noodles and I actually don't mind the fettuccine noodles, however, I had them with a meat sauce so I had more texture than just the noodles. I don't care for the rice, and I haven't tried the Angel Hair pasta yet (I bought a 6-pack from Amazon).
  • QueenOSpades
    QueenOSpades Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You can make fake pasta with a spiralizer and zucchini :)
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    What are they made out of? Cardboard? That stuff can't be good for you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm not generally one to go on about "clean" vs "dirty"...but that's some highly processed, "dirty" **** right there. I eat my fair share of processed foods, but I wouldn't eat those. To boot, if there are no calories then there is no nutrition...so what's the point?

Eat to fuel your body...and for personal enjoyment. Eat real food.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I tried Miracle Noodle brand. I was not impressed. They smelled weird and the texture was terrible.

I suggest trying Zoodles (thin sliced zucchini) or Spaghetti Squash instead.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I've bought the "slim" brand zero calorie "rice" out of curiosity a few months ago. Can't say I experienced the terrible smell others complain about with them and I had read about it in advance so was expecting it as I opened the packet but it was fine.

Ate with mushroom stroganoff instead of normal rice as had eaten a lot earlier in the day and was already over and in the red so helped me keep dinner calories low. Pretty tasteless, I just mixed in with the sauce of my meal and all I tasted was the sauce. I have a few packs of the slim zero noodles/pasta in the cupboard for emergencies, it's a pretty useful product for me to have to hand if I have gone overboard earlier in the day but I don't really choose to eat them as a planned meal, they are just for occasions I might really want a decent volume of food but don't have the cals to spare for rice/pasta.
  • bonkosaurusrex
    Options
    http://www.fooducate.com/app#page=product-search&term=miracle+noodles

They get a decent grade. I like them with chopped cucumber, red wine vinegar, a dash of sesame oil, salt and pepper. Served chilled. Nice and refreshing.
  • bonkosaurusrex
    Options
    Also, it only contains three ingredients. Konnayaku, water, food grade calcium.

What's Konnayaku?

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/04/seriously-asian-simmered-konnyaku-with-beef-recipe.html
  • KaySaver
    KaySaver Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You can also use a spaghetti squash and make somewhat tasty noodles that are low calorie.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/spicy-roasted-tomato-marinara-with-spaghetti-squash-recipe.html
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Oh man those things are nasty :sick:
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    These aren't bad at all if used properly IMO.

1. They are in a salt water solution that smells fishy so have to be rinsed.
    2. Do a dry "roast" in a non stick skillet for about 9 minutes after rinsing. This will help texture a lot - as well as dry them out a bit (o sauce sticks)

I find them better in asian inspired dishes personally. Anyone who has had a mung bean/cellophane noodle will be used to the texture. Like most noodles they just take on the taste of whatever you cook them with.

Also LOL @ the "real food" alarmism. They are made from yams that are dried and ground (and a limewater process).

Don't try to scare others off because you feel they are "dirty" or not "real food". This **** has been real food in Asia for a minute now.

Now that said - I can totally see people hating the texture and it took me awhile to get over the smell of the brine they are found in. But I stayed in Chinatown when I was living in Toronto, and these aren't that different from other lesser known asian noodles.

Try em out - if you like them - eat them. If you don't - don't.
  • obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    The first time I used shirataki noodles I almost gagged, then I went back and read how to prepare them, make a yummy sauce to go with it and it was good. Do I prefer true noodles? yes, but they aren't as bad if you rinse them right and dry roast them. I have yet to try the squash spaghettis.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potato noodles, but I'm not really sure what they've done to them to make those disasters. That said, if you prepare them right they can be really good. I just haven't figured out what that way is yet.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    What are they made out of? Cardboard? That stuff can't be good for you.

I saw "no calorie" and was thinking "must be made of air" lol
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    They're kinda gross.

I just bought a spiralizer and use it for zucchini noodles. Those are awesome. I found a ton of recipes here: http://www.inspiralized.com/

You can find several types of kitchen tools that will do the job- I got mine on amazon, but i saw a smaller one at walmart for 15 bucks.

Depending on how big the zucchini is, your "noodles" end up being anywhere from 30-50 calories.
  • twinkleboobee
    twinkleboobee Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I do actually like these noodles, made out of the Konjac plant. Although I only really like the Fettucine and Noodles, not the Penne
    as they have a consitency like squid and I can't stop the sliminess feel!

They smell because of all the starch, just rinse them for a minute and they are fine. They do taste of nothing but I add sauces, chilli
    and garlic, then they taste great! Also brilliant for spag bol etc.

Brilliant on a low carb diet, just make sure you chew well as they don't break up so easily and I almost choked on mine today!

I eat the 'Eat Water' slim pasta range, if you search on the net you will find good deals :)