The FedUp Challenge- sugarfree for ten days?

Options
2»

Replies

• gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    How is it even possible to give up all sugar? That would mean no fruit, no dairy, no grains, and no vegetables.

I'm thinking that this challenge must be about added sugar, not sugar in general.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    How is it even possible to give up all sugar? That would mean no fruit, no dairy, no grains, and no vegetables.

I'm thinking that this challenge must be about added sugar, not sugar in general.

You'd think so but they contradict themselves mult times or just supremely ignorant which is highly likely

So don't eat flour it turns to sugar, but eat other products that turn to sugar well just cause

"We are challenging you to GO SUGAR FREE FOR 10 DAYS. Start by cutting sodas and other sweetened beverages and foods that have ADDED sugars. EAT real, fresh, whole foods and stop consuming all products that contain added sugar including honey, molasses, agave, etc., and all liquid sugars, such as sodas, bottled teas, fruit juices, and sports drinks. This includes all artificial sugars and sugar substitutes.

No exceptions, so don’t ask! Artificial sweeteners slow your metabolism and make you crave and eat more food. Also, be aware of foods that may have hidden sugars, like yogurts, canned foods, spaghetti sauce, and ketchup. Watch for hidden names of sugar. Also try cutting out all flour products that turn to sugar in your body. Just for 10 days.
    "
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options

You'd think so but they contradict themselves mult times or just supremely ignorant which is highly likely

So don't eat flour it turns to sugar, but eat other products that turn to sugar well just cause

"We are challenging you to GO SUGAR FREE FOR 10 DAYS. Start by cutting sodas and other sweetened beverages and foods that have ADDED sugars. EAT real, fresh, whole foods and stop consuming all products that contain added sugar including honey, molasses, agave, etc., and all liquid sugars, such as sodas, bottled teas, fruit juices, and sports drinks. This includes all artificial sugars and sugar substitutes.

No exceptions, so don’t ask! Artificial sweeteners slow your metabolism and make you crave and eat more food. Also, be aware of foods that may have hidden sugars, like yogurts, canned foods, spaghetti sauce, and ketchup. Watch for hidden names of sugar. Also try cutting out all flour products that turn to sugar in your body. Just for 10 days.
    "

I don't quite get why anyone would want to do this.

I enjoy consuming sugar (or sugar substitutes) as a part of my diet.
  • Acg67
    Options

"

I don't quite get why anyone would want to do this.

I enjoy consuming sugar (or sugar substitutes) as a part of my diet.

Not sure if you heard or not but sugar is the sole cause of the obesity epidemic. But sugars contained in fruit is ok, cause well that's what anti sugar zealots have told me
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I work in health research and I'm well aware that sugar is as dangerous as salt, but isn't nearly as talked about. Reducing the amount of sugar in our diets is not a 'fad', its a reality if we want to be healthy well into old age.

I think it would be interesting to see how hard it would be, its a 10 day experiment that I'm assuming leads to awareness about hidden sugars and better life choices afterwards.

Problem is, there is a lot of sugar in my diet, even with the 1,200 MFP calorie limit, so I'm not sure I could go cold turkey for 10 days! :noway:

perkinswhatever.png
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

"

Where is the contradiction? It all seems to be talking about added sugars.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Because the very first line says "GO SUGAR FREE FOR 10 DAYS"? Then it goes on to explain otherwise.
  • Acg67
    Options

"

Go sugar free, then cut out some added sugars, make up stuff about artificial sweeteners, then avoid wheat cause it turns to sugar in your body, unlike any of the whole foods they recommended eating
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options

"

Go sugar free, then cut out some added sugars, make up stuff about artificial sweeteners, then avoid wheat cause it turns to sugar in your body, unlike any of the whole foods they recommended eating

:drinker:
    Yep. All food is turned into sugar in some form, in order to fuel your body. That's how it works... Kreb's Cycle... science. Even if you don't consume ANY carbohydrates at all your body can convert protein and fats into carbohydrates (sugar) via gluconeogenesis.

I'm going to assume they mean "added" sugar, but they do contradict themselves. They don't seem to have a very good understanding of the different "ose's" (Sucrose, fructose, glucose, etc.) and how they effect the body.

Ultimately though, if you think cutting out processed or added or even ALL sugar (not that it's realistic or healthy) will make you feel better, or enable you to fart glitter, or whatever the goal here is... give it a shot. Nobody can tell you how YOU will feel on a certain dietary protocol.
  • Blueridgegurl
    Blueridgegurl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    No, this challenge is specific to added sugars. Sugars that occur naturally in fruit and vegetables are fine. Most of the things sold in grocery stores that come in either a box or bottle have sugar added to them as an ingredient. It it can be listed under 56 different names. So many people are eating more sugar on a daily basis than they are aware of. It's just a challenge to try and reduce that added sugar from your diet.
  • Acg67
    Options
    No, this challenge is specific to added sugars. Sugars that occur naturally in fruit and vegetables are fine. Most of the things sold in grocery stores that come in either a box or bottle have sugar added to them as an ingredient. It it can be listed under 56 different names. So many people are eating more sugar on a daily basis than they are aware of. It's just a challenge to try and reduce that added sugar from your diet.

" Also try cutting out all flour products that turn to sugar in your body." Seems to contradict what you just said, whoops
  • occupysmithmachine
    Options
    I tried "no added sugar" today. That sliced brioche on the counter STARED at me until 6pm until I just had to give in to a slice of its evil sugariness.
  • bcattoes
    Options

"

I don't see any of that in the quote above except the part about flour products turning to sugar, though it doesn't specify wheat flour. Where does it say other foods don't turn to sugar?
  • Acg67
    Options

"

I don't see any of that in the quote above except the part about flour products turning to sugar, though it doesn't specify wheat flour. Where does it say other foods don't turn to sugar?

If the rationale to avoid wheat is that it turns to sugar in the body, then it contradicts their advice to eat whole foods, which also turn to sugar in the body
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    More sugar for me then.
  • bcattoes
    Options

"

If the rationale to avoid wheat is that it turns to sugar in the body, then it contradicts their advice to eat whole foods, which also turn to sugar in the body

Again, I don't see where it says anything about wheat, but I think you know very well what the rationale is. Eating things like sugary drinks, candy, flour, etc. causes a fast rise in blood glucose when they are eaten without protein or fiber. Most added sugar is not added to protein or fiber rich foods. And even whole grain flours can cause the sharp spike if they are ground fine.

These sharp spikes in blood sugar have been shown to trigger hunger and overeating.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    They make it a huge pain to learn the rules of the challenge--follow the link to the FAQ (sounds encouraging!) and you get sent back to the ad for the movie and some nonsense about evil sugar. It appears the only way to get the information is to listen to Katie and some other woman blather on about it, so I did. Unsurprisingly, it's just "added sugar."

So I did this already, for my own reasons, for 2 weeks. It in fact was not that hard, although I see no point for most people or for me to do it again.

They claim the conventional wisdom about food and exercise is wrong--eat less, move more, I assume? Wonder what the argument is supposed to be. And then they go on about how sugar is addictive for all and hidden in everything and the number one health crisis, etc. Sigh.

(In that I use MFP, I know precisely what foods I eat have sugar and the only surprise is that there's more in my vegetables than I realized.)