Questions about workout schedule and fatigue/energy

Options
DAM5412
DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
I am fairly new to working out. Over the past month I have started walking in my very hilly neighborhood, doing a couch 2 5k program (week 3 currently) and am in week 2 of Ripped in 30. Usually this means I do RI30 4-5 times a week, do my run walk 1x per week and then the hilly hike walk 3-4 times a week (usually overlapping a RI30 day). I feel stronger and am seeing improvement in my ability.

For two weeks prior to working out, I modified my diet and cut back my calories. I lost 7 lbs in those first two weeks. Over the past month, since I started working out, I have lost an additional 3 lbs. I understand that this is because I am not just working on weight loss, but have added in strengthening exercises and so am building muscle.

However, I am about 30 lbs overweight and want to lose it! My questions/issues are that my legs (where I carry most of my weight) get very tired and feel heavy lately. Also, the muscles in my butt and hips always feel tight. I do some good stretches and they loosen up somewhat, but there are times when I just feel really uncomfortable. I've started taking rest days (yeah, I know that this should have been incorporated from the beginning), as I am worried that I am doing too much, too soon. But while the RI30 tapes are tough, they are doable and I feel strong after wards. The walking/running is where I feel the most discomfort and have the most concern.

Has anyone else felt this and worked through it? I have read about foam rollers and am thinking of trying to get one and see if it helps. Also, should I consider a massage? I have runner friends (of which I would never compare myself too), who get regular massages to stay loose. Finally, maybe I need to look at my diet more. I am on lowered calories for the weight loss, and when I work out I eat back my calories. I'm learning as I go, and have adjusted as I figure out what does and doesn't work for me. I try to eat fewer carbs, but maybe that has something to do with the heaviness/fatigue in my legs?

Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated!

Happy Friday!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I've started taking rest days (yeah, I know that this should have been incorporated from the beginning), as I am worried that I am doing too much, too soon.

Yeah, might be from overtraining the legs. Try taking 2 full days off and see how you feel.

Massage / foam roller might help, but probably not as much as hourly stretching.