Looking for tips on lowering carbs percentage.

Options
I've come to a point in my weight loss that I'm losing at a rate of about .5 every month on average. I'm looking to change up my percentages to boost my weight loss again. I was losing .5-1 lb. a week and would like to get back to that point. My ratio right now is Carbs 50%, Fat 20%, Protein 30%. I have about 50 more lbs. to go to be considered "normal" weight for my height. I'm not a stickler for BMI but would like to get down to under 25% body fat percentage.

Any tips appreciated on what diet changes, food idea's etc. Food diary public but just getting over stomach flu so had a rough few days.

Also want to add that I don't want to carb crash!!

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Here's a thread with a ton of helpful info about setting calorie and macro goals

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

EDIT - OP corrected goal to 25% - leaving info below anyhow

Also, FYI, for a woman, a BF under 20% is very low. Even if you're in your late teens/early 20's, it can take some very precise eating and training to get to that level. Don't want to discourage you, just make sure you're setting realistic goals. Here's another link with info about that:

http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Eating less carbs won't miraculously make you lose weight faster. It's the overall calorie deficit that does that. How it's made up may have an effect on your other health goals but weight it will make no difference. If you do want to reduce carbs it's just a case of going for foods with higher protein and fat ratios.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Lowering your carbs will only increase your weight loss if it makes it easier for you to eat less and thereby increase your deficit.

Looking at yesterdays food diary (assuming the previous very low days were while you were ill) and there doesn't seem to be a lot wrong with it food wise, although I would increase the fat intake to 25 or 30% because that will help you feel satiated

Your fibre intake puts mine to shame so thats my other trick taken care of :smile:

So to get back to losing 0.5 to 1.0 lbs per week you need to get to a deficit of 250-500 calories per day so you need to eat less than you do now or add in some exercise.

It probably also needs mentioning that you should ensure that your logging is as accurate as possible, weigh all solids and measure all liquids and be careful of estimations (0.25 tbsp is hard to judge). Also be wary of some of the entries on MFP because a lot of member entries are not always correct.
  • Love_Is_My_Fuel
    Love_Is_My_Fuel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    OOPS..I meant 25% body fat percentage..I edited it..thanks
  • Love_Is_My_Fuel
    Love_Is_My_Fuel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Lowering your carbs will only increase your weight loss if it makes it easier for you to eat less and thereby increase your deficit.

Looking at yesterdays food diary (assuming the previous very low days were while you were ill) and there doesn't seem to be a lot wrong with it food wise, although I would increase the fat intake to 25 or 30% because that will help you feel satiated

Your fibre intake puts mine to shame so thats my other trick taken care of :smile:

So to get back to losing 0.5 to 1.0 lbs per week you need to get to a deficit of 250-500 calories per day so you need to eat less than you do now or add in some exercise.

It probably also needs mentioning that you should ensure that your logging is as accurate as possible, weigh all solids and measure all liquids and be careful of estimations (0.25 tbsp is hard to judge). Also be wary of some of the entries on MFP because a lot of member entries are not always correct.

Great advice...I weigh and measure everything...when I say 1/2 tbsp..it's measured. Also learned my lesson with entries lol I have started to add in more exercise..getting nicer outside for activity,,also thinking of starting up some weight training as well.
  • AmandaTerry11
    AmandaTerry11 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

I agree with upping the fat intake. I'm up around 65% and my calories are usually about 900-1000 calories a day only because I feel full most days.
  • HeidiGrrrl
    HeidiGrrrl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can tell you is eliminate starchy carbs. Instead of cereal for breakfast, try greek yogurt. It's high in protein, and will keep you satisfied. It does contain carbs (all dairy does), but they aren't the empty starchy kind. Have a hard-boiled egg with some fruit. Eliminate pasta, potatoes, rice and breads of all kinds. Make sure you're eating plenty of meat, poultry and fish (no bones, skin and excess fat trimmed). Up your veggie intake to make sure your fiber intake stays good. For sandwiches, wrap your filling in lettuce leaves, or cut a cucumber lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, and use the two halves as your "bread". You can try spaghetti squash in place of pasta. I didn't like it, but I don't like squash. I have no problem putting spaghetti sauce over a pile of mixed veggies (as long as there's no squash! LOL!) See if that helps! :-)