Loving On Yourself

Options
raisealittlehell
raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/14/embrace-taryn-brumfitt_n_5318178.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063

This article and video are amazing. It is about a women who is embracing her body and trying to help other women do the same thing.

Here is an excerpt from the article:

"Brumfitt, a photographer and mom of three from Adelaide, AU, once hated her body. In the video for her KickStarter campaign, she talks about how she would stare in the mirror and tell herself how fat, ugly, and disgusting she was. In early 2013, she was considering a boob job and a tummy tuck when she had an epiphany, which she later wrote about on her website, BodyImageMovement.com. Brumfitt thought to herself:

How am I ever going to teach Mikaela to love her body as it is if her Mummy can’t do the same? How am I ever going to encourage her to accept and love the parts of her body that she doesn’t like without being a walking contradiction?

"In May 2013, Brumfitt posted a "before and after" photo on Facebook that received more than 3 million "likes" -- but this side-by-side wasn't showing off a flat stomach post-weight loss. The "before" shot was from when she was in a body building contest, and the "after" was post birth. In the video, Brumfitt explains why she thinks the photo got so much attention. "Because heaven forbid a woman can love her body, after," she said."

o-TARYN-BRUMFITT-570.jpg?6

We should all learn to love ourselves, as we are. It is great to strive to be healthy and fit, but also to embrace our imperfections as well. They are what make us beautiful.:flowerforyou:

Replies

• miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I had different expectations for this thread. But for what it's worth, I agree, people shouldn't be so hard on themselves, and I think she's beautiful in both photos.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I hate when that happens, it's all sticky!
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    let me go crazy onnnnn meeee.........crazy crazy on me.

Joking aside I enjoyed the read and think she's beautiful in both photos.
  • NYactor1
    NYactor1 Posts: 9,642 Member
    Options
    This thread is like reverse motivation.
  • greeneyes0809
    greeneyes0809 Posts: 422 Member
    Options

Positive body image isn't about not being motivated to better yourself, but rather the idea of not hating yourself for being imperfect. You can strive to be better because you love your body, rather than be motivated by hating it.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options

Positive body image isn't about not being motivated to better yourself, but rather the idea of not hating yourself for being imperfect. You can strive to be better because you love your body, rather than be motivated by hating it.

Well said!