Stationary Desk Cycle calorie burn??

Options
2»

Replies

• marysidneyherbert
    Options
    I think this is a great idea. I found a different one and just ordered it from Amazon. It is called the FitDesk FDX 2.0 Desk Exercise Bike. It's about $300, but looks like it may be a better design for body position. I am hoping that by having exercise better integrated into my regular daily routine, I will glean more benefits. Obviously it doesn't take the place of more cardio-intense activity and strength training, but still ... It also seems more similar to what paleo people would have done, more continuous activity instead of desk-sitting for 6 or 8 hours a day. There are also treadmill desks available, of course. It would be nice to have both and switch back and forth. I'll try to report back when I see how I like the FitDesk.
  • marysidneyherbert
    Options
    I just received my FitDesk 2.0 today. It was a bit difficult to put together, but with my husband's help we managed. I've been riding it for a couple of hours, and it is really fantastic. The design is very comfortable, in terms of body position, seat, etc., and it's extremely quiet. The only problem so far is that the calorie estimate is totally unrealistic. After the first hour, it said I'd burned over 1000 calories. I know from riding other stationary bikes that there's no way I'd been working that hard. I had it only at the first two levels during the hour. I would estimate that it was about one-fifth that much, about what MyFitnessPal says for "very light" stationary bike riding. I can compensate, of course, by just using MFP instead of the FitDesk's estimate. Otherwise, I'd highly recommend this desk bike for anyone frustrated by having to sit at a desk job.
  • marysidneyherbert
    Options
    Update on calorie meter with FitDesk: I emailed the company about the problem, and they responded immediately. They'll be sending me a new meter in the mail, and if that doesn't work, they say, the problem may be one of the sensors. It sounds like they are going to get this problem fixed ASAP. I rode the bike for 4 hours yesterday and it really is great in terms of ergonomics.