Staying Fueled at the Office. What are your hacks?

Options
Allons-y!

For the office drones and otherwise, what is your strategy for eating at work? This is mine below.

14012881857_12571e90be.jpg

14012881917_87b857119a.jpg

Since I am trying to swap non-lean mass for lean mass, I re-assigned one drawer in my office just for food and tools. (Screw work... amirte?) This includes the flatware, a stainless-steel shaker bottle, snacks, and other supplements that I need throughout the day.

What are your office hacks?

Replies

• 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Wow, very impressive! I took a pic of my snack drawer at work but of course I have no clue how to post it. It's pretty funny compared to yours -- mostly empty with one protein bar, one banana, and one clementine. :)
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I have a cupboard in the kitchen - well a shelf anyway - (we work in a converted house so we have a FULL kitchen at our disposal).

I keep cereal, nuts, a jar of PB and crackers, protein bars, a horrible food scale (need a better one - its a cheap spring one, not digital). I have measure cups and spoons. I also have cheese and turkey in my drawer in the fridge and a bottle of salad dressing (that way I don't have to pack or get some every time I get a salad)

Usually I pack a lunch - but the snacks, etc. sure help get through the day.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I don't snack at work. Low carb, high fat keeps me satiated between meals. Most people around my office have a granola bar, clementines, yogurt or trailmix if they are hungry though.
  • janinehema90
    janinehema90 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have a snack drawer too! I normally keep my protein powder, shaker bottle, quest bars, jerky, and my fish oil and other supplements in there so I don't forget to take them with me. In my case, there's nothing worse than being unprepared because it may cause me to foul up on my diet and buy a snack >_<
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Wow, very impressive! I took a pic of my snack drawer at work but of course I have no clue how to post it. It's pretty funny compared to yours -- mostly empty with one protein bar, one banana, and one clementine. :)

You have to link to the image from another website. I use my Flickr account and post the url between the [ img ] tags. (BBE edit.)

Oh, I have fruit on my desk, but this doesn't include the drawer I took over in the fridge for cottage cheese, veggies, and water and other bevies.
  • katya_be
    katya_be Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I have a snack drawer as well. Full of Quest Bars, other energy bars, variety nut packs, few cheat candies, and thats pretty much it. I just bring fruits to work everyday. The candy is off limits except for once or twice a week, I log it and make sure to not go over my calories. Everyone needs a treat now and then! I cannot go without snacking at work. Even if my lunch fills me up I will still be hungry by the afternoon.
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    I have a snack drawer too! I normally keep my protein powder, shaker bottle, quest bars, jerky, and my fish oil and other supplements in there so I don't forget to take them with me. In my case, there's nothing worse than being unprepared because it may cause me to foul up on my diet and buy a snack >_<

I knew I wasn't the only one! I hear you though, since getting back into it at the end of March after a 4-yr hiatus, I knew I was going to have to address my office space because of my particular requirements. I've always kept snacks at work, because I am one of those that get hangry if I don't eat.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

You have to link to the image from another website. I use my Flickr account and post the url between the [ img ] tags. (BBE edit.)

Oh, I have fruit on my desk, but this doesn't include the drawer I took over in the fridge for cottage cheese, veggies, and water and other bevies.

I know, and I have a Flickr account...and a photobucket account...but frankly I'm too lazy to go look up my passwords, upload, remember how to do the tags, etc etc etc. Plus I have a job to do....LOL
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I keep coffee, tea, peanut butter, cereal, chocolate covered espresso beans and chocolate covered peanuts.
    And one can of baked beans for REAL emergencies. But there is a cafateria here so I never use it- I bought it for my other location when there was only a vending machine available.

There is also junk everywhere- and I plan well so I never really "NEED" the stuff I keep.
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    Plus I have a job to do....LOL

You're making us slackers look like we are not even working! Geez! Stop it!
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I have a drawer full of beef jerky, which sounds like it should be a double entendre. Mostly though I just drink coffee and water until I get home from work. I do best with a rough IF model of eating.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    No hacks. I stay fueled at the office by eating lunch
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    And one can of baked beans for REAL emergencies.
    And now I want baked beans.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I work from home so I access to all of my food. However, when I worked outside of home I would always plan my day ahead of time, including snacks and just bring those snacks and meals each day. We had a cafeteria with plenty of healthy options if I ended up having an overly hungry day.
  • RondaRiggle
    RondaRiggle Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I make sure I always eat breakfast. I eat breakfast every day at 9am. Typical: avocado and roma tomato.

Eat lunch at Noon. Typical: petite sirloin, steamed veggies and half avocado.

I prepare my meals at home for 5 days and make sure to bring them so I do not go out for fast food.

There are bowls of chocolates all over the office: Avoid, Avoid, Avoid! I try really hard not to snack, I just try to re-focus my attention elsewhere and keep calm and carry on!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    No hacks. I stay fueled at the office by eating lunch

Same here.

I do have a selection of teas, and sometimes an apple or honey roasted sunflower kernels in a packet in my purse if I had a really light lunch.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    And one can of baked beans for REAL emergencies.
    And now I want baked beans.

yeah- I have to keep them hidden- once I get a hankering- i can't be satisfied.

I pack lunch- so I usually just grab a nibble of espresso beans- everything else is for an emergency overtime- or I was planning to do lunch with someone (didn't pack) and they bailed on me- i mostly don't trust lunch dates any more though- so I always pack some food.

people have bailed on me one to many times- lame right?!!?
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    What are your office hacks?

my boss, my boss is the office hack

yay it i'm not the only guy with measuring spoons in his desk

boo at what appears to be Muscle Tech
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast and lunch at work. My lunch is very filling, so I'm not often tempted to snack in the afternoon. We also have complimentary coffees and teas (and dove hot chocolate, but I don't like it) in a flavia machine. I keep coconut truffle and black teas at my desk. My office gets fresh fruit delivered every Monday, so I can always snack on bananas, grapes, kiwi, oranges, apples, and many varieties of pears. I keep fiber one 90 calorie bars in my desk, but I haven't hit that stash yet. I also have a back-up box of black bean soup in my desk in case I forget my lunch.

I drink plain water all day. I don't like flavorings/supplements.
  • cjwest312
    cjwest312 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My Food Rules at the Office are Borderline OCD and Militant

1. I never ever partake in community food, which I know is weird and I get **** for it. This includes birthday cake, potlucks, holiday goodies, etc. I just don't participate at all, not ever. It's bad for networking, but I just don't care. I don't actually work with most people in my office (my role is very independent) so it just doesn't matter really. The only exception is Mexican candy from my friend R. I love that spicy sweet crap, but I lock it in my filing cabinet so I don't eat it mindlessly.

2. I only eat what I make and pack myself. I make all my lunches for the week on Sunday night. If I don't have my own food I just don't eat. I won't order out.

3. I don't ever snack. The only thing ever on my desk is coffee or water.

4. Unless I cannot get away (like on Thursdays when I have an ugly 4 hour block of back-to-back conf calls) I don't eat at my desk. If I can manage it time-wise that day, I leave the building entirely and drive to a local park, or I'll sit on a bench outside our building.

5. The only exception to the above is when there is a business lunch with colleagues who have traveled into town for meetings. I will go to lunch meetings and dinner meetings when invited. And when I travel myself and things are catered well, there's really no way around it.

If only I could carry this strictness over into my evenings, and when I'm home..... I'd be amaaaaazing. I wouldn't need to be on here :o)