Slightly hungry yields better weight loss?

Options
13»

Replies

• Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

That's pretty much what I was saying...so I'm not sure what your point is. But actually, in starvation mode, your body feeds off the muscle first because muscle uses more energy/calories. Weight loss doesn't stop, you just loose muscle, not fat first. I didn't say your body didn't have fuel, but it's not getting it from the food you put into it which is, essentially, what starvation mode is as I understand it. Also, I said nothing about starving to dealth. That is a different.
    But this almost never happens. The body will not use muscle over fat unless your body fat is very low, you don't get in adequate protein, and you don't lift weights. A lb of muscle provides the body with around 7-800 calories worth of energy. A lb of fat provides the body with around 3500. Your body isn't dumb. It will not release muscle for fuel until fat storage become rather low.

Actually I understand it completly the opposite of you and we could continue to argue the differences in what we've both read, etc. but that seems pointless to me as I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I'm only pointing out to OP that the idea of "starvation mode" is not at all what she seems to think it is.

There are not "two sides" to this argument. You are simply wrong.

Good point and with such compelling and sound, fact based evidence! Lol. Seriously people, lighten up. Being right or wrong is no where near the point. OP was a bit confused. End of story. I'm going to go have a great friday and I hope you all do to.

And providing incorrect information will only confuse the OP further aswell as lurker readers. Have a great Friday.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Hunger is just a feeling. It has nothing to due with weight loss. Weight loss is entirely about creating an energy deficit (eating less calories a day then you burn). You can be hungry and gain weight or you can feel full and lose weight, that's all about food choices.
    How is it just a feeling? Doesn't it mean your body is out of fuel?
    No it doesn't. It doesn't mean that at all. Hunger is very subjective. I could eat 4000 calories a day and still be hungry if I ate foods that aren't filling. In turn I could eat 1000 calories a day and not be hungry if I ate mostly vegetables. 4000 calories is more then my body needs to maintain weight while 1000 calories are far less then it needs to maintain weight.
  • missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    No, being hungry does not help with weight loss.
    How come?

Why would it? You lose weight by being on an overall caloric deficit. What would feeling hungry before a meal burn more calories?
    Because it means the calories are burned faster...

WHAT????? Are you even serious?

This is starting to sound like a troll to me. No one can be this ignorant on how a body loses weight.
    It's not a troll... You don't have to be so disrespectful. I was posting a question and what was on my mind, you can correct me if you want but I don't need your attitude.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    It's not a troll thread. OP was asking a serious question I have no doubt. There is so much fitness myth and misinformation floating around that it never surprises me what people have been led to believe will effect their results. Her question is no more or less silly then people who ask if they need to eat 6 times a day, or if they eating carbs after 7pm is bad.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

That's pretty much what I was saying...so I'm not sure what your point is. But actually, in starvation mode, your body feeds off the muscle first because muscle uses more energy/calories. Weight loss doesn't stop, you just loose muscle, not fat first. I didn't say your body didn't have fuel, but it's not getting it from the food you put into it which is, essentially, what starvation mode is as I understand it. Also, I said nothing about starving to dealth. That is a different.
    But this almost never happens. The body will not use muscle over fat unless your body fat is very low, you don't get in adequate protein, and you don't lift weights. A lb of muscle provides the body with around 7-800 calories worth of energy. A lb of fat provides the body with around 3500. Your body isn't dumb. It will not release muscle for fuel until fat storage become rather low.

This. For men, this won't occur until around under 4-5% body fat and under 7-8% for women.

show me the research

The Biology of Human Starvation (2 volumes), University of Minnesota Press, 1950

The men in this experiment continued to lose weight eating 1570 calories and walking 3 miles a day until they hit 5% BF. The number for women was extracted from this information since no women were included in the experiment.

So until you look like this, you're not in starvation mode:

39a4b8c7-cd05-4939-87f4-c0325f1710f2_zps5a007dc2.jpg
  • louise_at_sea
    Options
    To the OP...

I find it works best for me if I eat just before or as I start to get hungry. I spread my meals throughout the day and make sure I get plenty of veg, fruit, quality protein and complex carbs. If I eat just before getting hungry, I make better food choices and do not overeat through hunger. It sounds boring but it works for me.

People talk about tips and tricks to boost weight loss which in my experience only work when you supplement them with a healthy, calorie controlled diet and exercise.

Hope that helps :smile:
  • csy108
    csy108 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If the body was meant to use muscle for fuel when calories are low, why wouldn't it store the majority of it's surplus energy as muscle?

+1
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    This does remind me though that I am always mad when I'm SUPER hungry in the morning and I step on the scale and doesn't show a loss. :mad: Just seems like if you're that hungry you should totally be losing!
  • Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    Options
    Seriously, is this really a question ! How can anyone get in shape if they are thinking this way ??