Is gaining muscle going to make me fat?

Options
I want to become muscular. Is this going to make me overweight/ look obese? I'm worried my legs and stomach will look fat!?

Replies

• richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I want to become muscular. Is this going to make me overweight/ look obese? I'm worried my legs and stomach will look fat!?

Um... fat makes you look fat, not muscle!
  • TKhamvongsa
    TKhamvongsa Posts: 287
    Options
    Lol no. Unless you're intending on bulking then you may start to look a little fluffy but not overweight/obese. If anything, you'd look more lean if you're lifting heavy.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    if your really overweight then it may make you look fatter since the muscle will be below fat, but if your that overweight you should focus on losing fat anyway..
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    :huh: Fat looks fat. Muscle looks fantastic.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you have a lot of fat, adding muscle could make you larger and heavier, and sometimes that can look 'fat' since the fat is on top of the muscle. In bulky clothing like sweatshirts, that may be especially true. But if you lower your fat content (or don't have much to begin with) and up your muscle, that's unlikely unless you are really bulking up.

But IMO fat with muscle under it looks better than fat without muscle under it. Less jiggle.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly, fat and muscle, besides being two completely different things, actually also look completely different.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I think people are missing the point of the OP's question. In order to build muscle you must eat in a caloric surplus. This means some fat will be added along with the muscle. This is unavoidable. How much fat is gained depends on how quickly you put on weight. Men should try and add 2 lbs a month maximum when in a mass building phase. Women should try for half that much. Gaining faster will not add additional muscle, only additional fat. I have seen plenty of people get fat while in the pursuit of muscle gains. Remember, building muscles are like watching paint dry. It's a slow process.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly, fat and muscle, besides being two completely different things, actually also look completely different.

Surprisingly indeed. :wink:

OP, gain the muscle and little bit of fat at the same time. Then cut and lose most of the fat and a little of the muscle. Repeat and you'll improve your look more and more over time.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Not sure what your concern is right now since you are a male that is 6'0" and weighs 130 lbs.

Have you looked into seeking professional help yet?
    Didn't see his height and weight! That last thing OP should worry about is getting fat!
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

lies-kids-tell-parents-6.gif
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you go about it. If we're talking natural muscle, don't expect to gain more than 10 pounds a year. Your calories should be 100-250 calories above your maintenance level. Your protein should be 0.6 to 1 times your body weight. Fat should be 0.35 times your body weight and the rest would be carbs. On the other hand if you go for bulking and quit working out, you'll get fat like I did.
  • karmac0matic
    karmac0matic Posts: 285
    Options

+100
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Silly rabbit, Trix are for kids!
  • ngags
    ngags Posts: 9
    Options
    No way! I was worried about that too but working with weights will burn off the fat. Add cardio too for faster weight loss. Don't go by the scale, go by the way your clothes fit. I went from a size 14 to a size 6. something I never thought I would be able to do again! If you build miscle the muscle will burn off the fat. It takes time so be patient and determined.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Not sure what your concern is right now since you are a male that is 6'0" and weighs 130 lbs.

Didn't see his height and weight! That last thing OP should worry about is getting fat!
    His many posts (under both user names) show disordered thinking about food, and possibly body dysmorphia. In addition, I'd bet he's about 16.
  • Stilllosing26
    Stilllosing26 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

His many posts (under both user names) show disordered thinking about food, and possibly body dysmorphia. In addition, I'd bet he's about 16.

LOL I am certainly not 16. Please mind your own buisness. My personal information is none of your concern. I was asking a simple question.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

LOL I am certainly not 16. Please mind your own buisness. My personal information is none of your concern. I was asking a simple question.
    You've asked a series of simple questions all about your weight/body. The fact remains: you're a tall, skinny young male, who appears to have some real issues with food/body. I'll point that out when I feel it necessary. As others have, repeatedly, and will, repeatedly. Sorry you don't like that, but such is life when you post on the internet.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    :huh: