Treatment Options

Options
Ok, I'm getting into a heavy topic for a Friday afternoon but hear me out maybe? Also, I know this isn't directly related to food but I've got very few people to turn to for opinions.

I've been battling anxiety and depression since 2011 and right now, I am near the lowest point I've ever been. I can either 1) not get out of bed for days or 2) not sleep at all. Either way, I'm not really productive at work or in school. I have absolutely no friends that care about me where I live, and constantly feel alone. The really dangerous dark thoughts are becoming more and more frequent. I have been getting treatment on and off, outpatient therapy and medication, but none of my therapists really were a good fit (didn't feel comfortable with them) and my medications either gave me severe side effects or didn't make much of a difference despite taking them at sequentially higher doses for the proper amount of time.

Somehow, I managed to get through my second year of my graduate degree. I only need to write my thesis and defend before I graduate, but even writing this topic is daunting to me at this point. My most recent therapist has suggested going to a short term recovery facility and apparently my health insurance covers a good bit of the expenses. My question is, is it really worth it? I would have to take a medical hiatus from school, which could get messy with all the paperwork, but then what? Would I just be expected to be magically better after 30 days at a treatment facility??? Do any of you MFP people have experience with treatment facilities for depression/anxiety? Or even any input at all??

Again, sorry for the off topic thread. Just sort of desperate here for input from a third party perspective.

Replies

• suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I work at a mental treatment facility.
    If you are at a low point it can be beneficial if you ACCEPT the help.

You will get help with your situation in the safety of a structured environment.
    You will get oversight into your medications to ensure you are on the best ones for you with adequate dosing.
    You will also be provided with tools and referrals to help you after your discharge.

School is important but YOU are more important!
    Good Luck
  • takerbrat
    takerbrat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely no experience with this but my heart goes out to you and I hope that you find the strength to claw your way back to whatever "normal" is for you. I wish I could offer more.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    It will provide some structure and help give you a safe place to sort things out. If things are bad, the stress of school might make it worse. I would definitely look into it.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Given this ...
    I can either 1) not get out of bed for days or 2) not sleep at all. Either way, I'm not really productive at work or in school.

Is a 30 day break really going to be that much more disruptive ? As you are working on you thesis do you have to actually attend your school - have you enquired what the process would deb if you needed to take 30 days off for medical reasons ? I would say go - I see no downside - just go