Running shirt with Zippered Pocket ?

Options
I am looking for a running shirt .. with a zippered pocket for my smartphone ... I am doing C25k right now and need to carry my phone on my runs. I don't like my phone in my pants .. I know, but I am picky.

Arm bands are not an option .. just like running carrying my phone.

I have a Nike running jacket with a chest pocket that works really well ... but it is getting too hot for wearing a jacket.

But I am amazed that there is virtually nothing out there .. that fits the bill.

I found the Scottevest .. performance shirt. It has a zipper .. and seems to fit the bill. But no one seems to sell their products and I don't like ordering online as delivery is a big big hassle.

So ... how do the runners out there deal with this issue ?

Replies

• Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    when I carried my phone, I would put it in a Nathan's 5K race belt. I now have a fitletic belt and a Nathan's speed 2.0 with two water bottles.

but since I got my garmin i don't bring my phone anymore. don't like to be bothered when I'm spending time with myself.
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I place my phone in my coat pocket in the winter.
    I just hold it while I run in the summer. I would like to get the belt below.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009KSDVKY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=MZFSSMRZILU0&coliid=I4W62WSD16NKF&psc=1

There are quite a few other minimalist runners belts out there.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Options
    I place my phone in my coat pocket in the winter.
    I just hold it while I run in the summer. I would like to get the belt below.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009KSDVKY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=MZFSSMRZILU0&coliid=I4W62WSD16NKF&psc=1

There are quite a few other minimalist runners belts out there.

can't go wrong with a Nathan's pack. I gave mine to my nephew and he uses it everyday.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    SBI Belt. You can thank me later.

http://www.spibelt.com/products/spibelt
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I'd love to find one too. I use my Garmin for GPS but still bring my phone when I run as a safety thing - if I twist an ankle or pull a muscle 5 miles from home I want to be able to call for help. I'm not totally out in the country but there's not a whole lot of traffic where I run either, and even so flagging down a stranger doesn't feel like much of an option. "Hi I'm injured & vulnerable - could I please jump in your car and have you hopefully bring me to my house?"
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Options
    I'd love to find one too. I use my Garmin for GPS but still bring my phone when I run as a safety thing - if I twist an ankle or pull a muscle 5 miles from home I want to be able to call for help. I'm not totally out in the country but there's not a whole lot of traffic where I run either, and even so flagging down a stranger doesn't feel like much of an option. "Hi I'm injured & vulnerable - could I please jump in your car and have you hopefully bring me to my house?"

not to sound mean, but what did we do before cellphones were invented? but to each their own. =)
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    The belt option is not going to happen. If I was to do that .. I might as well just put it in my pants .. but I hate things bouncing around when I run.

As funny as it seems .. there is just virtually nothing out there that fits the bill. The scottevest may be my option but I hate buying clothes online as I cannot try stuff on.

But I did find this and this may be an option .. http://www.511tactical.com/holster-shirt.html
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

not to sound mean, but what did we do before cellphones were invented? but to each their own. =)

In that case, you can not carry one with you. In the event of an emergency, trust the goodwill of absolute strangers. Anywho...

I have an iPhone and I found a case with a built-in clip on the back. I clip it on the back of my pants/shorts. It's not the annoying huge plastic belt clip kind, it's very slim and sturdy. I've worn it through runs as well as lifting, never had a problem with it moving around. Here's the link----> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006QP1124/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ETA: A plus about the case I mentioned above- it's only around $4 delivered :smile:
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    My suggestion - look for the type of shirts that cyclists wear. A lot of them have a zippered compartment on the back of the shirt, so you can reach around behind you to store stuff (in their case, while they're on the bicycle). I've seen quite a few runners wear these at longer distance races I've done, haven't purchased one myself though.

Also - I found a Reebok tech shirt with a small zip pocket on the upper forearm at a sporting goods store. I tend to grab men's tech shirts most of the time because I'm tall and want the extra torso and arm length, so I am pretty sure it's a men's shirt. It's got sleeves that are a little longer than a standard short sleeved shirt, I like it. I got it a couple of years ago, so that's not much help either, but they are out there!

ETA: I hear you on the no belt thing. I also refuse to keep stuff in pants pockets when I run, and I've tried on a few belts (including the SPI belt everyone else loves), but I hated it from the minute I put it on lol. It didn't feel right.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Options
    The belt option is not going to happen. If I was to do that .. I might as well just put it in my pants .. but I hate things bouncing around when I run.

As funny as it seems .. there is just virtually nothing out there that fits the bill. The scottevest may be my option but I hate buying clothes online as I cannot try stuff on.

But I did find this and this may be an option .. http://www.511tactical.com/holster-shirt.html

i guess you have never tried on any of the belts we have suggested. there is no bouncing of anything. I would suggest going to a running store (not a sports authority) and try on their belts with your phone in it and run around the track that is in the store. and if anything you can ask them to find you a shirt that has a pocket.

My hot chocolate sweater has a pocket in the back for phones but it is a sweater not a shirt.
  • girlcalledryan
    girlcalledryan Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    You might be surprised, a belt that fits you right wont bounce much. I have one that does NOT hold water bottles, and my nexus just barely fits in with my ID and a little cash. Perfect for mid distance runs.

Also two issues of runner's world ago there was a feature on clothes with storage. Maybe worth checking the library for back issues.

Cycling gear usually has pockets on theback, so that could be another option.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I would usually run with a cycling fleece and stick stuff in the back pocket.

But not bothered by having stuff in trouser/shorts pockets either.
  • KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,646 Member
    Options
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I use an arm strap to look after my phone, my key and a little money. Works for me. No bouncing, which irritates the hell out of me and easy access :)

ETA: misread your initial post, sorry. I don't see what you mean about it feels like carrying your phone, but each to their own :)
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I just hold my phone in my little right hand and go!
  • virtualmonkey
    virtualmonkey Posts: 4 Member
    Options

The 5.11 shirt might be a little bulky for what you want. I tried one on with the intention of conceal carry and didn't care for the way it fit just walking around, can't imagine running in one. Just my 2 cents, you can usually find their stuff at bass pro, cabelas, etc.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I use an arm strap to look after my phone, my key and a little money. Works for me. No bouncing, which irritates the hell out of me and easy access :)

ETA: misread your initial post, sorry. I don't see what you mean about it feels like carrying your phone, but each to their own :)
    My thoughts too, I love mine and don't feel that way at all.