Recumbant bike vs. stationary bike

Options
Hi all! I am obese and wanting to add another cardio to my routine. I walk regularly but do not have any type of bike. I have used a recumbant bike in the past and enjoyed it. Can any of yall with experience of each give me the pros and cons without a lot of judgement.

Bicycling outside is not a great option for me because we live in a very rural area without sidewalks etc. Plus 2 small children, it is difficult to load everyone in van and drive somewhere to ride. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer the recumbant bikes, mostly because it's easier on my neck and my asthma. Plus, I can pull out my Kindle and read, which keeps me from focusing on the time or my legs being tired!
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go the opposite way, and say I prefer the upright stationary to the recumbent. Because I do.
    - I used to ride my bike a LOT. The stationary reminds me of that.
    - I prefer pedaling at a higher RPM (95+) - On recumbents I find it's a more plod and push, rather than a spinning motion.
    - On the upright I can focus on the down & back stroke emphasizing my hamstrings. I haven't figured that out on the recumbent (someone else may have?)

I'd try both a few times and see which you prefer. Or just keep doing both!! :O)
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    My vote is for the upright too. The recumbents, for me, make it WAY too easy to be lazy. Plus, mile for mile, I just feel like I have worked out more on the uprights than the recumbents.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hahaha....right there with you way out in the middle of sidewalk-free territory! Mountains, too! It's so much easier to 'ride' along in front of the TV! I still prefer the upright position on the exercise bike, because I still have a real bike, and I'm used to it. Also, looking at the well developed calf muscles on competitive bicyclists, progress on my leg training won't suffer, since my exercise bike has built-in programs for performance as well as for weight loss.
    For general cardio purpose, I think it won't make a difference, though, as long as you work up a good sweat!
    Have fun!