PCOS/Underactive Thyroid

Options
Hi all...

A little background,

I'm 21 turning 22 this year, after not successfully conceiving after one year, I was diagnosed with PCOS a few months back by my obgyn. I had a physical done by my family doctor and he told me my thyroid was good. I had some more blood work done by my obgyn last month and she said my thyroid results were my borderline, and thinks I may have hypothyroidism. I saw my doctor the next day and he also mentioned that they were borderline when I brought it up - Yet didn't tell me the first time? Frustrating! So I'm having it tested for a 3rd time, and I see my obgyn for the results in July.

For my PCOS I currently take 1500mg of Metformin, and have been for a month as of today. Both her and the pharmacist mentioned it should make me lose weight. I'm trying to educate myself on how to be proactive and continue losing it. I'm a Maid of Honor for a wedding this July, so I obviously want to feel the best I can about myself, while still keeping goals to remain physically healthy (even afterwards.

I should also add that over the past 3.5 - 4 I've gained this pesky weight that has seemed impossible to lose. This supported my ob's diagnosis. If you struggle with either of these things you know that it's on the harder side to lose weight. So what do YOU do to assist in weight loss? What worked for you?

Replies

• lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat. I don't have PCOS, but I do have insulin resistance (the thing that is usually the major factor for why it's difficult to lose weight with PCOS) and a thyroid condition (Hashi's). I too take metformin (2000/day) as well as a thyroid medication -- Nature-throid -- which contains both T4 and T3.

Thyroid Issue

First off, I'd really recommend that you speak with someone that is a thyroid/metabolism expert. It was over 10 years before I found someone that really knew what he was doing with thyroid tests. I'd seen 4 different doctors over the preceding 10 years and was told I was "fine" or "within range". None of them did the proper testing for Hashi's (which is the MOST common thyroid disorder) -- they just checked TSH (and for Hashi's, you can have normal TSH and still have awful hypo symptoms -- like I did).

So, at a bare minimum, for your thyroid, I'd recommend that you make sure that you get the following tests: TSH, Free T3, Free T4 and both antibody tests (TPO and the other other one, which I can't remember off the top of my head). This is a great resource for that:

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/recommended-labwork/
    http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/lab-values/
    http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/woliner.htm

Other Metabolism Issues

Also, when you're checking the thyroid, does your doctor check for other metabolism issues? When I finally was diagnosed, my doc looked at many things -- adrenal function, liver function, glucose metabolism, vitamin deficiencies, etc. He discovered that in addition to the thyroid issue, I also had insulin resistance and major deficiencies in magnesium and vitamin D (though my liver, adrenal, iodine, iron, etc. were good).

Diet -- Primal and Carb Restriction

Since I have Hashi's and it's an autoimmune thyroid disorder, I cut out grains and eat a Primal style (like Paleo but allows dairy and little less restrictive). I learned that gluten is a trigger for many autoimmune disorders and so I cut it out -- and I feel much better. I introduced dairy back into my diet after going strict Paleo and found that I don't have a problem with it (which is why I'm Primal rather than Paleo now). But, it is another common trigger for those with autoimmune issues. So, you may want to consider trying such a diet yourself.

I also restrict carbs because of the insulin resistance. You'll find this to be very common for those with insulin resistance, PCOS, etc. I aim for less than 100g per day, but this really varies on the individual. Some need to go a lot lower some can tolerate higher thresholds.

Exercise
    My routine is to lift heavy twice a week, HIIT hill sprints twice a week and a lot of walking/hiking throughout (18-30 miles/week). Then my rest week I just walk/hike. My lifting heavy regime is 3x5 from Starting Strength -- a combination of squats, military press, bench press, deadlifts, pull-ups, dips and back extension.

Refeeds
    Once I got this all in line -- the meds and this way of eating, I finally started to lose like a normal person -- in line with my calorie deficits. But, I also found that having a rest week and weekly refeed days were essential for me. I don't know why, but when I skip them, I get run down faster and the scale stalls. I've seen literature out there that those of us with hypothyroid issues can get out of whack more easily when in prolonged calorie deficits and work out regimes, so we need to do things to give ourselves breaks from the stress more often.

So, now, I have a weekly refeed day (usually Sat) where I eat at maintenance (though my weekly goal still averages over 700/day) and I take a rest week from my routine every 6-8 weeks based on when I'm feeling run down.

Okay, I know that was a lot to take in, but this is what I've learned over my journey and what I finally needed to do to take the weight off. If you have any questions, feel free to ask or PM me.
  • Champale2011
    Champale2011 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I'll be 21 in a few months and I have pcos too. I know how u feel about trying to concieve. And have gained 50 pounds bcus of it. And as far as fertility....I tryed clomid but no success and now that I've stopped I haven't had a cycle since. And I'm on my second prescription of metaformin and still haven't gotten a period. Idk what to say as far losing weight but to stay within your calories every day and exercise. And stay away from fried and fast food. I've been dieting for almost 2 months and lost about 15 pounds.
  • uchube
    uchube Posts: 44
    Options
    same here, slightly low thyroid (no meds yet), full blown pcos and IR.
    -I don't eat any wheat/grains besides quinoa and thats rarely,
    - i do fine with greek yoghurts, fromais frais and cottage cheese, but slightly limit milk,
    - limit fruit to 2-3 servings a day
    - if i need a starchy food, small portion of sweet potato fries or butternut squash, and i do love kidney beans
    - i do eat endless stir fry veggies, mainly pescetarian with turkey and lean chicken, no sugary sauces, and stay on top of my healthy fats (oils, MCTs).
    - home cooking unless entirely impossible
    -weigh almost everything
    - not a huge fan of cardio besides short Jillian michaels dvds: i do light/bodyweight strength training and walk a LOT. I lose weight only when I become more active, diet is usually always very clean but it won't make me lose as i've already got a bare minimum BMR (1200 or less, i'm very short).

It took me three full months on 1500mg glucophage for my periods to return after a *7* year total absence. taking that medicine is the best thing i did.
  • florallove92
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies, and all of the info!

I'll have to check my lab requisition to see what exact things they're checking in regards to my thyroid. I remember back when my family doctor gave me my original results on my thyroid he said that they're not allowed to test it a specific way. So he said the "back door route" is what came back normal. Considering I don't get my results until my next appointment, I don't think she is necessarily too worried about my thyroid, but still is a "concern".

My family doctor checked all of those things when he did my physical :-). All my blood work was completed after fasting for 12 hours so that he could properly check things such as my glucose, etc. He also checked my vitamin levels. All came back well. In terms of adrenal/hormones - my obgyn checked me for that I'm pretty sure. I'll have to confirm!

I'm lactose intolerant so I avoid dairy when possible. I've heard many good things about the paleo diet, and the diabetic diet when having PCOS. I find the diet portion to be the most difficult to commit to. I can find time any day for my exercise, but the eating just sucks! I'm not a big eater so I don't have an appetite often, and when I do I never feel like making a full out balanced meal. Obviously this isn't a healthy habit, and it is something that needs to be changed.

I never had an issue with my periods coming until the end of last year. Back in February I was given progesterone to bring on my period, got my period in March, nothing in April, and then after 2.5 weeks of Metformin I got my period again this month. So I'm really hoping the Metformin continues to work, it also doesn't hurt my stomach, which I'm really glad about. I've heard a lot of bad things from women in terms of side effects.

My OBGYN wants me to lose 10% of my BMI, my family doctor chuckled, and pretty much said he's not concerned about my weight/BMI in terms of pregnancy.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). I lost weight just like everybody else—by logging everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly.

The advice in this post worked for me: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants

MFP has two thyroid groups:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/51427-butterfly-chasers