Sodium??

Options
MrsGreco
MrsGreco Posts: 134 Member
Help Please :-)

I was wondering what the 411 is on sodium??
I am on a journey to losing 75+ pounds. How important is sodium in my weight loss?
What effects does it have on my body?
What is the max I should be taking in daily?

Thank you!!

Replies

• RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    I set my daily goal at 1500 max. I have high blood pressure, so I avoid it if possible. It is in everything, even raw foods. I use himalayan pink salt, instead of sea salt or table salt. Allegedly it has the most minerals, and won't affect blood pressure.
  • MrsHyland
    MrsHyland Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't have an effect on weight loss, other than retaining water if you have too much. It can be very damaging to the body if you consume excessive amounts for a long period of time. I would try to stay between 1500-2000. It can lead to high blood pressure, which can lead to kidney disease and a life you don't want. It is in everything and a challenge sometimes to limit, but do your best and good luck to you!
  • 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options
    Sodium has been an argument for decades, and has a ton of theories. But here is the 411 that I have.

1. Fast food and most prepared and frozen food and preserved has a lot of sodium. So for me, if I make sure my sodium level is kept low, (1,000 and under on average) I can`t eat any of those kinds of food. Which my body does not need anyway.

2. If I ingest at the 2300 a day mark or above, I get less pump in the gym and I start to look puffy. So I try and stay under 1,000 most of the time and I feel better.

3. So salt makes you hold more water, and makes you puffy. And I personally think sodium / salt abuse is a huge contributor to obesity.

3. And I think salt eats away at your body from the inside out. Pour some on meat or a cut on your body and see what happens.

But I want to ad this, everyone's bodies are different. I am telling you how mine works and what works for me. But if you are up in the .4 and 5,000 a day, that's way too much.
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I try to stay under 2000MG a day and the Center For Disease control states that 2300MG/day is the maximum intake recommended and even lower in some circumstances. Here is a link:

http://www.cdc.gov/salt/pdfs/sodium_dietary_guidelines.pdf

It is really an indirect indicator of food quality to me. If the sodium is high (sodium in MG is greater than calories per serving) it is likely packaged convenience food and if it is low (sodium in MG less than calories per serving) then it often is higher quality. I find it an easy way to keep my diet clean without a bunch of tedium.
  • MrsGreco
    MrsGreco Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Wonderful! Thank you guys. Right now I'm at about 3000mg avg a day!! Yikes!! That may be why the scale isn't moving. Definitely going to cut it back.