How much can I expect to lose in 3 months?

Options
I've been off to a really good start - losing 9lbs this first week however I don't want to rely on this being the outcome every week !

I am going on holiday in just over 3 months and I want to lose as much as possible!

I come from a family who are involved in the fitness industry - I have been brought up around not buying into fad diets, plans or listening to some of the crap you read online about weightloss.

I am eating a low calorie diet, I have no time to work out ( I work 12 hours a day in an office based job)
I eat a low calorie diet as that as all I need.
I'm doing this on the black and white basis of 'if you consume less than you burn you will lose weight' as that is what weightloss is.

I guess I'm just trying to gauge what other people have lost in this time frame!

I would like to lose about 40lbs if I'm being honest, I'm 22 and 5ft 4.5

(:

Replies

• ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    It really depends. You won't (and shouldn't) repeat that first week big loss, but that's ok. 24 pounds in 3 months is probably the most you can hope for, but the reality is even with consistency on your part, you're more likely to see about 15-20 pound loss.

But that doesn't really matter, since you'll feel great and be ready to get back to logging and eating at a deficit when you get back from vacation and next year's vacation you might even be at goal! Look at the long term and you'll have success :)
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    If you wanted to lose 40 pounds by a certain time you should have started sooner.That'd be about half your goal. Not gonna happen. The 9 pounds you lost this week was mostly water weight.

If you're eating a very low calorie diet and "starving" yourself every night, you need to stop. It's unsustainable and CAN have negative health side effects. Trying to lose that much weight so quickly could lead to:

-muscle loss (almost a guarantee)
    -constant fatigue
    -weight loss stall

Also it's going to be harder to keep that weight off. There's posts almost every day on here how they tried to lose weight too fast and ended up gaining it back.

Eat at a reasonable deficit and lose 25 pounds. ~2lbs per week
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations on a successful week and sticking to your plan!!! Second, I agree with both above me, that it is probably mostly water weight this week, and also 2 lbs a week on a reasonable deficit is attainable, for about 22-25 lbs in your time frame. You'll be amazed at how much even that will change your body!! Food and proper nutrition is absolutely the most important key factor in losing weight, so you have that mentality and idea going and it's great! Just don't get too bummed if you only see 1-2 lbs next week, and or fluctuate 3-4 lbs one week, and 0-1 the next...it happens because of water weight, sodium levels, muscle, etc. And don't strive for too low or too fast by going at a greater deficit than suggested to you, because in the end, it will not result in true "fat loss" and will only make things more difficult. Good luck!!!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    2 pounds a week is ideal. So 24 pounds. But that is only if you have significantly more than 24 pounds to lose in the first place.