Eating too little?

tashie1990
tashie1990 Posts: 31 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
My fitness pal sometimes says im eating too little? Ive made my diary public... I dont know if im eating right or wrongly? I have wat i want... If i want chocolate... Icecream.... Crisps... U name it i eat it but apparently its still too little???!!! I feel like im eating more than enough... what should i do?

Replies

• atampa
    atampa Posts: 57 Member
    Im in the same boat as you. I never know if i should try to eat all my calories. I don't know if i should eat all my exercise calories.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    You need to eat the recommended daily calories it tells you too. That recommended amount is already 500 calories less than what your body needs every day, so you really need to be eating all of those that the system tells you too. Eating less than 1200 calories a day for a woman results in the metabolism slowing, making it harder to lose weight.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,870 Member
    Well, this won't help a whole lot with the calories, but you need to eat more veggies! I looked through the past few days of your diary - where are your veggies??? Also, eat more high protein foods and more fresh fruit - both will add calories.
    You really do need to eat at least 1200 calories - it's hard to get adequate nutrition on less than that AND you need to eat a balanced diet with whole grains, fruits, vegetables, etc.
  • atampa
    atampa Posts: 57 Member
    I thought so , thanks! What do you think about the exercise calories?
  • If you are exercising on a regular basis, I think 1200 calories is a little low. That's good that you don't deprive yourself of anything, but I would try to focus on seeing how you can make your meals more well balanced- making sure you're getting fruits/veggies as well as protein and carbs. Fat is also good too and it usually has a high caloric value (such as peanut butter, almond butter, and avocado). I like to look around at the grocery and pick out different fruits and veggies that I haven't had in a while- trying new foods is good!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,870 Member
    I thought so , thanks! What do you think about the exercise calories?

Some people say to eat all of your exercise calories, others say don't worry about it. I try (but don't always succeed) to eat about half of my exercise calories back - if I get a good workout and burn 600 calories, there is NO WAY I am going to be able to add 600 calories to my food intake. My diary is public if you want some ideas - I am allergic to milk, but eat an otherwise very balanced diet.
  • ♡MyCurves
    ♡MyCurves Posts: 103 Member
    I haven't looked at your diary, but I can however tell you from personal experience...when i went from eating 1400 calories to 1000 calories to try and "lose more weight" a year or so ago....I hit a plateau and I wasn't losing any weight. I read "Fitness" magazine and found out that it could be that im eating too little. When I started to eat more calories, I noticed I started to drop weight again. So...calories are so funny. I know for me, eating more fiber, omega-3, whole-grain foods...has really made an impact on my weight loss. Also, drinking LOTS of H20 =)
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    What do you have your activity level set to? I was eating to few calories so I had my activiity level set to less active and I had to change it to more active because I was always on the go. I start eating what was recommended and ate back most excerise calories just because i dont know forsure if MFP gives me back the correct amount burned. I start with a small breakfast in the morning then workout and another BF again afterwards and I tell you that I know I got my metalism up cause every few hours I was getting a little empty in the tummy and since that I saw some weight drop. Saying that on days I didnt excerise and not so much on the run I lowered my cal intake. So you could say that if you zig zag a little it might help. Confuse the body if you know what I mean. Dont be afraid to eat, meaning if your eating a balance diet, you know your body is going to thank you. Have a little patience, it will happen. Stay consistent and drink your water. Hope it helps.
  • plcarpenter
    plcarpenter Posts: 83 Member
    Im in the same boat as you. I never know if i should try to eat all my calories. I don't know if i should eat all my exercise calories.

I looked at your log and I think it looks great, I've been guilty of leaving too many uneaten calories due to exercise but sometimes it evens out through the week. I like to have some extra because MAYBE I grabbed small cracker, cookie, or a taste of something, I consider my left over calories my back up plan.
  • Thanks to MFP, I have reached my goal weight, and subsequently "learned" how to eat what i want without exceeding my calories. I continue to eat a low calorie diet with occasional indulgences.. but my weight has now dropped below my goal weight. So I am wondering if I need to eat more as well.
  • When you eat too little you also are at risk for osteoporosis due to increased calcitrol and parathyroid hormone production. The body has a way of stripping the nutrients out of your bones to give to major organs. I would suggest weight lifting if you are eating lower calories since weight bearing exercises keep your bones strong while also losing weight. Cardio and strength training is the best way to lose weigjr.
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Please, read this about exercise calories!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Try to plan your days ahead of time if you have trouble eating enough. I need to eat extra 1000 exercise Calories 4 - 5 times a week and I haven't had any trouble. In fact I can't believe I could go on without eating right!

Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.