get clothes or wait?

maletac
maletac Posts: 767 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
this girl i knew said her trick to losing weight was get clothes that fit your weight loss and never buy bigger.. when you feel they are getting tight ... time to take care of yourself extra...

lol anyways.. so i was 212 .. im now 201-ish and im planning on going to 185-ish so the question is... buy clothes or wait a while more till i get there?

Replies

• jroulo
    jroulo Posts: 50 Member
    I have the same question. My dress pants are looking baggy but I don't want to spend the money. What a great problem to have.
  • Dude, WAIT

I went from 217 to 167lbs and a 37" waist to 30/31" waist and XL Shirt to S/M.

I purchased clothes at 170 pounds, 32" waist but as I continued to do sit-ups and exercise my waist continued to shrink by at least one size.

Now many of my 32" pants are one size to large, but now stuck with them.

Just some advice
  • Ive lost 124 pounds. Surprisingly I have only bought a few new clothes. I was sooo stretching out my other clothes that it took a while till they fit right...LOL but now I have started having to buy new ones. I think you should buy just a few. It is something that is well earned!
  • Hovey
    Hovey Posts: 3
    Ive lost 124 pounds. Surprisingly I have only bought a few new clothes. I was sooo stretching out my other clothes that it took a while till they fit right...LOL but now I have started having to buy new ones. I think you should buy just a few. It is something that is well earned!
  • Hovey
    this girl i knew said her trick to losing weight was get clothes that fit your weight loss and never buy bigger.. when you feel they are getting tight ... time to take care of yourself extra...

lol anyways.. so i was 212 .. im now 201-ish and im planning on going to 185-ish so the question is... buy clothes or wait a while more till i get there?
  • Hovey
    This is the problem I have. Not enough money to keep buying new clothes all the time. Fortunetly I have friends that will give me their smaller hand-me-downs, otherwise I shop at discount stores. All my life I have been up and down in weight and never trust myself to get rid of the smaller sizes. I agree with 'resptech', buy just a couple outfits as a congratulations to yourself for losing and as an incentive.
  • vanzeem
    vanzeem Posts: 107
    I've bought just about my whole wardrobe from Goodwill and other places like that. If you have the time to look through the clothes you should be able to find some nice stuff. It's SOOO much cheaper than buying it from the store and that way when it's too big on you, you won't feel like you need to keep the clothing because it was expensive. :) Good luck!!
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Start getting on few things that you just wear around, shop for bargains. Buy a few pairs of pants and shirt that is a little snug so that when you lose more weight you would start to notice and it will build up your confidence(works well for me). I aslo have a couple of pants a little snug so I can show off the musles in my legs and show off my *kitten*...lol!
  • I needed a new outfit to wear to a party, I bought some slacks without trying them on, and it wasn't til I wore them the second time that I realyzed they were too big. I even bought the next smaller size. I think it is smart to buy one or two items that are smaller, but fit you they will be a little big when you are done. But do you really want to wear baggie clothes for the next few months.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    I feel like buying clothes that fit helps keep me motivated. Clothes that are to big make me feel frumpy and that's what I'm working so hard to get away from. It's true, you'll shrink out of them, but then you can donate them or whatever. Goodwill is a great option, especially for jeans. Outlet malls usually have a Levi's store where you can get 2 for the price of 1. Congratulations on your dilemma!
  • MeekMeals
    MeekMeals Posts: 517 Member
    just buy a few pieces that fit. 1 or 2 pair of jeans, a few shirts,,, keep it simple and inexpensive especially if you plan on losing more! because u dont want to look a hot mess in the meantime (while ur losing) lol!!! Good luck!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Shop around for a bargain. Buy maybe two pair of pants that fit snug. Or just wait. My husband who decided to join me went from 175 to 130 and I had to put my foot down last weekend. His pants were literally falling off of him. Me? I have plenty of smaller clothes so don't need to worry for a while. Him, he went from a 38 to a 29. Houston.....we have a problem. The smallest we can find in mans is 32. We just may have to go to the boys dept!
  • Certified_Femail
    Certified_Femail Posts: 75 Member
    I say wait. I lost weight about 5 years ago and it was the most wonderful feeling to beable to go in the store and pick pants off the rack and just hold them up to me and they fit awesome. I have to lose 30lb and have 23 to go and I love that my pants are getting looser and looser. I kept some old small clothes (I hate to get rid of cute stuff) so there have been a few tops I can get into now. I tried a couple pants that I used to fit in and they were way to tight so it makes me also know what my aim is, to make those clothes I used to fit in fit again, then Im gonna go for the gusto and buy new stuff wooohooo:bigsmile:
  • MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    mem50...I know Levis come in sizes smaller than 32...I buy my son a 30 and pretty sure I saw 28 and 29 too at Kohls.
  • Certified_Femail
    Certified_Femail Posts: 75 Member
    regarding:
    Shop around for a bargain. Buy maybe two pair of pants that fit snug. Or just wait. My husband who decided to join me went from 175 to 130 and I had to put my foot down last weekend. His pants were literally falling off of him. Me? I have plenty of smaller clothes so don't need to worry for a while. Him, he went from a 38 to a 29. Houston.....we have a problem. The smallest we can find in mans is 32. We just may have to go to the boys dept!

wow thats a huge amount but isnt 130 for a man way to low? I mean I dont even want to go that low and Im 5'4 I looked great at 145. But I dunno what his size is I just think I would be jelouse if my husband weighed less them me lol.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    The only thing I had a problem with was buying a ball gown for the Marine Corps ball November 6th. I think it fits perfectly and I know I won't drop that much weight to get 2 sizes less until then. I only have14 pounds left... lol.

But other than that, I kept wearing my baggy clothes and using belts for months because I didn't want to buy new clothes when I knew I was going to keep losing weight. Eventually I did and go figure my size medium shirts don't fit anymore. Now I am a SMALL! Makes me happy, but now I need to go get more shirts. LOL
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    For those of you that need to get a "formal" or evening gown, or even a prom or cocktail type dress, there are places out there that RENT them. Two of my girlfriends used such places to get the brides maids dresses and saved us from having to buy a dress that we would never wear again! With it coming into the holiday season there will be parties and get togethers where you would like to show off the new you.... do it up right! Check with the places that rent the guy's tuxes and sport suits, that was how we learned of the dress rental shops. Even the consignment and thrift stores usually have a ton of dresses....you may need to ask them because they sometimes hold them in back until the "season" for them comes around.
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    If you can afford it GET CLOTHES. Always look your best no matter what weight you are!!! Also, wearing baggy clothes that don't fit anymore hides your accomplishments!! Even just 1 outfit that you can wear that makes you look FAB/BUFF :-)
  • smileyface45
    smileyface45 Posts: 146 Member
    You can always go to the thrift stores. I found that same problem, so, today I went to my local thrift store and bought 1 pair of jeans and 4 pair of dress pants and 1 top for around $15.00. Saved my day.
This discussion has been closed.