Two weeks of strict diet/excercise and no results!?!

Options
Before joining mfp I have been dieting and doing 40 minutes of cardio / strength training 5-6 days a week. I'm drinking the 8 glasses of water a day and did my two week weigh in and absolutely no change!! It is so frustrating! Has this happened to anyone else? Is this normal? Will my body ever stop retaining water?!??

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Samantha,

Welcome. Two weeks is nothing. You have to give it time.

Find out what your calorie limit is to lose the amount of weight you want to lose. With 40 pounds to lose, I would suggest that 1-1.5 pounds a week might be healthy and sustainable.

Weigh all your solids and measure your liquids. Log every single thing you put in your mouth. Read packages and use that food scale (measure in grams) to ensure that you are making accurate entries.

Since you exercise, you will want to eat a portion of those calories back. If you use MFP estimations, I suggest eating only about 60-70% back, since MFP estimations are WAY overestimated. If you use a heart rate monitor, calorie counts are usually more accurate.

You also need to be patient. Weight loss is not linear. Think of losing weight as making lifestyle changes that will sustain you for the rest of your life.
  • AdreaC
    AdreaC Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Samantha,

SLLRunner is completely right. You have to give it more time. Healthy weight and diet changes are like running a marathon. You get very little instant gratification. Keep at it! I lost 40 lbs the first time I did this. I'm starting again at 0 trying to lose more here on myfitnesspal. I only will weight myself every 5 weeks. I like to do that because then I don't obsess on the number but rather how I feel and how my clothes fit. Also, I chose 5 weeks because that's what the myfitnesspal tells you "if every day were like today..." at the end of your daily food diary so I can see if it is accurate!

Keep at it and good luck!
  • MoiKarina
    MoiKarina Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    If you want to love water weight, the most efficient way is to stop eating white carbs such as bread, rice, pasta and potatoes. It is super hard but that's how I started losinf weight. Between 800g and 2 kg per weeks. :bigsmile:
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,071 Member
    Options
    If you want to love water weight, the most efficient way is to stop eating white carbs such as bread, rice, pasta and potatoes. It is super hard but that's how I started losinf weight. Between 800g and 2 kg per weeks. :bigsmile:

I don't think it matters whether one eats bread, pasta, potatoes - as long as the calorie deficit is there.

No need to make this more complicated than it actually is.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    That's silly.
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Never mind. Deleting this post. Good luck!
  • MaggieLoo79
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's very easy to just tell people "calorie in vs. calorie out" because? because it's science...However, human bodies are so complicated and figuring out that right deficit takes time and continous experiements...When hormones are calling the shot, it makes it harder to figure out how much one really need to eat to get the right number...after years of trying different kinds of numbers, I am still at loss. But I guess not seeing result works sort of like motivation in my case as it keeps me going...it sucks but think of it as going uphill...if you don't push, you will go backward...
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, my doctor did tell me to cut out all white carbs (bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, etc.)

I don't want to be overly dramatic but anyone who tells you to cut out entire groups of foods is just parroting bad advice. Think about it for a second - billions of people in the world eat rice multiple times a day and they're not overweight.

Cutting out the evil "white foods" was how I started my journey into restricted eating to disordered eating to an eating disorder. The weight I've lost here is all about calories in vs. calories out.
  • MaggieLoo79
    Options
    Yeah, it's very easy to just tell people "calorie in vs. calorie out" because? because it's science...However, human bodies are so complicated and figuring out that right deficit takes time and continous experiements...When hormones are calling the shot, it makes it harder to figure out how much one really need to eat to get the right number...after years of trying different kinds of numbers, I am still at loss. But I guess not seeing result works sort of like motivation in my case as it keeps me going...it sucks but think of it as going uphill...if you don't push, you will go backward...

Thank you for saying that. I took my post down because I can't handle people being mean about it right now. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has dealt with this. :flowerforyou:
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, my doctor did tell me to cut out all white carbs (bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, etc.)

Yea... your doctor is telling you to follow a fad instead of actual science. Which is scary.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Water weight is just water weight. What you want to lose is fat. It takes patience. It takes consistency. It takes dedication (logging accurately, measuring, weighing). But stick with it and the results will come.

I eat carbs every day, including the dreaded "white" ones.
  • MaggieLoo79
    Options
    :happy:
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Have you had a day or two out of routine? Maybe did a different workout? Ate more calories one day?

If your body becomes use to what your doing, most likely, you won't see results. Confuse your body a little bit.

Good Luck!!
  • Helen71017
    Helen71017 Posts: 30 Member
    Options

Yea... your doctor is telling you to follow a fad instead of actual science. Which is scary.

Most doctors have very little training/experience in the field of nutrition. If you want professional guidance, talk to a nutritionist.
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

That's exactly why I don't post often or bother with friends on this site. People come here for support and motivation and instead they get meanness from people hiding behind the anonymity of the Internet. I don't believe in "one size fits all" approaches. Everybody is different. My doctor gave that advice to ME for ME. I'm going to believe the guy with the medical degree and years of experience rather than an anonymous poster on a weight loss site.

I'm always surprised at what people think is mean. My doctor made me read The China Study and tried to make me a vegan because he thinks that it is the healthiest diet in the world I told him to shove it and proceeded to lose almost 30 pounds in three months by doing it my way.

Most doctors, especially GPs, are not nutrition experts.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Thank you for saying that. I took my post down because I can't handle people being mean about it right now. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has dealt with this. :flowerforyou:
    I'm confused. Who's being mean? I don't see any meanness, just different opinions.
  • Helen71017
    Helen71017 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    :happy:

Most doctors receive very little training in nutrition. It is barely mentioned in the medical school curriculum, and most doctors send their patients to a nutritionist when issues of weight loss or special diets come up. It is entirely possible that your doctor has specific training (either formal or self-directed) regarding nutrition. However, it is not uncommon for doctors to make blanket unfounded comments regarding nutrition.
  • 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Be Happy with "No Change". I actually GAINED several pounds in the beginning. Talk about discouraging! Eat right and start exercising and GAIN! But finally on day 41 the scales started moving. It just takes time for your body to realize you mean business and this isn't just another "Exercise and Eat Right for 2 weeks" Fad. :) Something else I'm not sure of is I read where if you are Vitamin D deficit you will not lose. I started taking 6000 mg of Vitamin D3 10 days ago and now the scales is starting to move. Not sure of the connection. I don't drink milk and I haven't been outside alot. When I am this summer, I'll cut back on dosage. You can take too much.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

I'm confused. Who's being mean? I don't see any meanness, just different opinions.

I don't know her story but as far as I see, I dont think she meant any mean post in this particular thread but just generally speaking...I could be wrong...

I have been here a little bit more often than before recently and start noticing several threads almost daily where people ask question (frequently asked questios that type) and answers were not always very ...pleasant to hear. As little time as i spent here, I have seen quite a few thread where the OP just decided to leave at the end...I guess we all have touchy spots and some just rub the wrong way...but still...when people ask why they are not losing thinking they are doing everything they can, "you are lying to yourself" might be the last thing they(we) want to hear...I guess that's what's going on here...