Question about Macros

Options
Should I be more focused on hitting my calorie goal or making sure to hit my protein/carb/fats goal?
It's currently set at 40% carbs 30% protein 30% fat.

Some days my carb intake is really high and protein is low. Or I've eaten really high in fats and low carbs.
I'm always at or just under my calorie goal, so I'm not sure if I should focus more on my macros or not.

Any suggestions are appreciated :)

Replies

• GeordieGirl80s
    GeordieGirl80s Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    This is something I am struggling with too, I can get bang on or 50-100 cals either side of my calorie goal but I just can't seem to get my Macros right. I'm on 117g carbs, 117g protein & 45g fat............ I'm almost always over on my carbs (usually all fruit & veg) & fat and under on my protein.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    just make sure you're hitting your protein minimums and not skimping on fats and it usually sorts itself out, protein is most important especially on a deficit, then fats then carbs
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I personally find that importance of macros is very exaggerated. If you only count calories and ate mostly healthy foods, not all your cals form Twinkies, then you will get everything your body needs anyways to be healthy anyways. Only reason why anybody should count macros is if they want to maintain or build body as fitness model on a stage. Or if they are on some kind of fancy diet for their personal health reasons. But to just lose weight and be healthy or to have a hot body to be proud of at beach it is not necessary to count them.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    For me, I try to hit my protein goal of around .8g protein/lb body weight when in a deficit.
    I don't worry about the rest as I tend to get 'enough' fat on average in my diet.
    . Only reason why anybody should count macros is if they want to maintain or build body as fitness model on a stage.
    Nope, that's not the only reason.
    You don't need to want to be a fitness model to want to lose fat and not lose muscle.

For most people of both sexes, that's a good goal if they want to change the way they look as well as their general health.

When eating at a deficit, getting enough protein has numerous times been shown to make a difference here.

Also, twinkies have one range of micronutrients.
    Eating a limited range of what you might describe as 'healthy foods' have a different range of micronutrients, but if you keep it just as restricted, you will won't be getting the wide range which is considered a good thing.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    From my limited understanding Carb cycling can be good (it's what I've just started doing) - so the ratios can change but provided that the Net Calorific input is at goal - you will be O.K .. or some say better....

What I'm not sure about at the moment is the suitable range of these ratios........#learningbyexperiment
  • chari182
    chari182 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)
    I have been really trying lately to hit my protein goal. Getting all of my protein is tougher than I thought it would be.
    I'll just stick with my calorie deficit since that seems to be working okay.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I personally find that importance of macros is very exaggerated. If you only count calories and ate mostly healthy foods, not all your cals form Twinkies, then you will get everything your body needs anyways to be healthy anyways. Only reason why anybody should count macros is if they want to maintain or build body as fitness model on a stage. Or if they are on some kind of fancy diet for their personal health reasons. But to just lose weight and be healthy or to have a hot body to be proud of at beach it is not necessary to count them.

Yah no...

I watch macros to ensure I get proper nutrition and to help maintain the LBM I have and repair the muscle due to lifting.

To have that "hot" body is all relative so I count mine as I feel "hot" is firm, defined and lean which comes from lifting weights and watching macros.