New and a question re: exercise tracking

Options
Hi. I have been on this site for about five days and I love it. I think the visability to calories in and out is fantastic, as well as tracking my intake of iron (I am anemic, so this is helpful) and my protein (I am a vegetarian, so again helpful). I worry that my entries are accurate as I can't always find the exact match, and have to estimate sometime on exercise. I have lost only 2 pounds, but I think I am losing some inches....Hmmmm? I think?? On the subject of exercise, I do power yoga and I am not positive about the calories burned for 75 minutes. I did some googling and found different things, the most consistent info. I can find is around 445 calories, so I put 400 in my entry since there was no previous entry for this. Does anyone know for sure?

Replies

• mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Greetings and Welcome!

Yes both the visability of calories and the ability to choose other things you want to track is a HUGE thing. (I too am a veggie who is often low on iron.)

On the yoga (and every exercise) the most accurate way of measuring is to wear a heart rate monitor while you are doing the exercise - that way it is calibrated for your age/weight/gender etc etc... A lot of guesstimating is done to come up with the numbers, so there is inevitably some vagueness.

(I might be able to help if it is Rodney Yee's 'Power Yoga Total Body' as I have the DVD - have not actually worn the HRM for it, just go with the basic 'yoga' setting cause I've been lazy!)

If there is anything I can do to help, let me know!

Cheers.
    ^_^
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    Thank you Mangorabbit! I am definitely going to get a heart monitor. I do Vinyasa yoga at a studio at about 90 degrees, and it is really a workout, but I know it varies depedning on the class, my energy level, etc. Hmmmm, I might have to try Rodney Yee for at home, too :)

What do YOU do about your iron? I don't really want to take a pill everyday, I know that iron supps can be harsh. I am trying to get the iron through food, spinach mainly, but it's difficult. I get short of breath quickly when running as a result, so I am really trying to get it resolved.

I hope you are finding many successes on your journey! And thaks again!
  • ley1
    ley1 Posts: 115
    Options
    definately recommend the hrm i brought one a few weeks back and its nice not to have to guess at the calories burnt - especially if your doing a dvd workout or a class and there's no mfp listing for it.
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    No worries!
    With the HRM, one thing, make sure it is the kind with a chest strap - they are the most accurate that I have found.
    I love the yoga! (I was doing Bikram for a while, but time and now location make that an impossibility.)

The yoga workout at home is pretty good for me, though I can tell when I have been avoiding it...cause it kicks my BUTT when I return. (Erf!)

Iron-wise I have tried a few things - I have food allergies as well so I do take a multi-vitamin, (All-One makes some amazing powders to mix into smoothies, etc), though currently (in China!) I have been taking iron supplements as there is just no way I can be positive I am getting what I need with my dietary limits.
    Granted, I love me the leafy green veggies (ok, pretty much all vegetables really!) and eggs so I do try for getting most of my iron that way. When I was in the states I was donating blood to the Red Cross both because I could, AND because they check your iron count before they will let you donate. (Sneaky checking every couple months if you don't mind losing a pint!) ^_^

The other thing with supplements, if you choose to go that route, try finding a health food store, or organic shop that carries some stuff - often they will have veggie friendly stuff that is not too harsh. (Or my stomach is made of lead, not sure which!)

The journey here continues apace!

Hope my meandering is of some use and that you manage to keep that iron up! ^_^