Why all women should be lifting weights

Options
I posted a new topic to my blog tonight listing the benefits of weight training for women. I've noticed that a lot of women on here are only doing cardio (ok and men too). I can't stress enough how important it is to have a balanced workout regime that includes both strength and cardio. If you aren't including resistance training into your workouts I highly encourage you to check out my post. If you still aren't convinced after reading it do a google search on the topic and you will find a ton of evidence that backs me up. My blog address is http://kimmiep.wordpress.com
I hope this helps out some of you who still have questions or confusion about how to build a good workout program!

Replies

• soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm a guy and couldn't agree with you more. I did mostly cardio from January to June. Then from that point decided that I needed to lift weights. I can already see the difference in my big belly and legs. Further, if you are dieting you are probably losing muscle so you have to offset that with lifting weights and of course eating right.
  • gertiegumdrop
    Options
    Hi
    I am an (out of shape) personal trainer and I couldn't agree more. Well said!
  • gertiegumdrop
    Options
    Hi
    I am an (out of shape) personal trainer and I couldn't agree more. Well said!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I also see a lot of women that are terrified of "bulking up." I don't understand what makes them think that this will happen, but I think that it is important that they become informed of the truth. I do 3 days of weight training in my routine, and I have seen nothing but success. In fact, my profile picture was taken shortly after having finished P90X for the second time back in 2008...and even though I could lift as much weight as many men I know and could do multiple unassisted pull-ups, my muscles surely don't show any bulk in that picture. :flowerforyou:
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love weight training. When I belong to a gym, I have the trainers show me the equipment and how to use it, so I feel less intimidated by the weights room.

Lifting weights makes me feel strong and I love feeling and seeing the muscles developing. I know it sounds silly, but I always feel like a total bad*ss after a good weights session. I find that I lose dress sizes much faster and look better no matter what my weight when I'm strength training.

I have so many female friends who are afraid of bulking up, but it just isn't that easy for a woman to do. I have to really push the amount of weight I lift and protein I consume to just get toned. Of course, every body is different. My sister can build muscle quite easily, but, again, she NEVER gets close to bulky and she is pretty hardcore (surfer, rock climber, etc.)

Anyway, just adding in my two cents that weight training can be very enjoyable and rewarding. I got started by hiring a trainer for a few months at my gym - to teach me proper technique and form (which is really easy, even common sense, but important) and how to build an effective routine. There are tons of websites, too. I like to read a body building site for inspiration and ideas.
  • fivefatcats
    Options
    I agree completely. I am currently reading/following "The new rules of lifting for women' by Lou schuler (sp) and love it!

I lost alot of weight over the summer and I am sure that the weight training is more than partly responsible for my lean mass going up and my body fat percentage dropping.

"Go heavy or go home" is my motto.
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I don't know - I do a lot of yoga, the crazy Ana Brett kind where pushups, stomach exercises, etc are even involved in addition to the typical yoga benefits. It's listed under cardio, so that's where I record it. But as I'm losing weight, I am getting toned and strengthening myself.

I don't really like I have to lift weights to get stronger. Or am I dead wrong here??
  • nikkijennings
    nikkijennings Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all you and I couldn't agree more..... I love seeing the weights I can lift increasing over time, and can FEEL my gym effort later cos my muscles tell me!! :bigsmile:

It almost scares me not to mix between cardio and weight as although I REALLY want to lose weight, the last thing I want is to be saggy!!! :noway:

I tone "reasonably" easily, but owe this to the fact that everyone thinks I weight less than I do and have a lower dress size, as even though I am big, I am shapely :wink:

I shall be reading your blog after posting this!!! :smile:
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I don't know - I do a lot of yoga, the crazy Ana Brett kind where pushups, stomach exercises, etc are even involved in addition to the typical yoga benefits. It's listed under cardio, so that's where I record it. But as I'm losing weight, I am getting toned and strengthening myself.

I don't really like I have to lift weights to get stronger. Or am I dead wrong here??

You don't have to physically lift any weights to be considered strength training. Doing push ups, stomach exercises etc are ways to improve your strenght, so you are getting the same results. Someone who swims is getting all the same benifits of strength training as someone who lifts weights, even though you would put it under cardio... so congrats for getting in your strength training without even knowing it!
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I do cardio and weight training, I love seeing muscles forming on my arms and legs. Weight training really bump up my weight loss and it is giving me definition.I actually enjoy lifting weights!
  • maryrshstattoo
    maryrshstattoo Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Just got a bow flex extreme and love it. As I lose weight I def want to tone everything up and this is helping. I do an hour of cardio and a 1/2 hour of bow flex everyday. Loving it!
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    when i go to the gym the thing that annoys me is seeing women lifting the very light weight on the machine or dumbells and its no effort for them to lift it at all... because they are scared of getting bulked! its not going to happen but its not resistance training unless you have to put some effort into it! teehee my little rant over.

Since joining the the gym in July I have been using weights and I too have seen nothing but success from this added with cardio. Although I havent lost mass amounts of weight (not my goal to) I have really toned up and lost inches. I am also a lot stronger now! :D
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Double post. Sorry :(
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    only time they have to worry is if they are taking steroids haha!