ellipical vs treadmill

Options
so the gym always says i burn more calories on the treadmill. Although I feel I assert more entergy on the ellipacal. So I googled it, all the sites I viewed said treadmill burns more. On another note the stationary bike burns the fewest, which is a good thing cause I hate the bike. Still going to keep doing the ellipacal tho, I dont think i can handle a full hour on the treadmill, due to an old ankle injury. Just taught I would share this tid bit of info.

Replies

• highrise
    highrise Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends what you're doing on the treadmill! I've found that walking on the highest incline burns far more calories than jogging for the same period of time, although I find jogging really hard work sometimes. Likewise, I whack the elliptical up and find it burns even more than incline walking.

Agree with you re the bike though :yawn:
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Elliptical is also very low impact, so better if you are very heavy and/or have weak knees, hips, ankles etc, or in my case a weak core, so I ended up injuring myself running.
  • babygirlrere
    Options
    the elliptical is my favorite and i burn lots of cals and sweat like crazy when im on it...... i only use the elliptical with the moving arms so i can work out those too.... i can change the work load on the elliptical to toning up my legs and arms as well so for me its the cardio of my choice.......
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    If I use the highest resistance but keep up a fast pace on the elliptical, I burn .8 more calories per minute on it than I do on the highest incline at 3.8mph (walking) on the treadmill. I get a lot less bored on the elliptical as well. And I am a runner but have problems getting shin splints a lot, so the "no-impact" of the elliptical is much better to let my shins heal!
  • Jennweav
    Options
    I prefer the elliptical as well. I burn a ton of calories, going at a semi-fast pace, while using the arms as well. I burn 100 calories in 10 minutes easy depending at the rate of speed. :happy:
  • egbkid
    egbkid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    i have a hard time on the elliptical with the moving arms. I have short arms, so the arms of the machine always seem to get away from me. I don;t go to the gym, though, costs to much so i usually just go for a walk around the park.