Calculating calories burned from walking

Options
2»

Replies

• jonathandavid_t
    jonathandavid_t Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Remember that with a calculation for an hour walking, if for example it comes up as 300kcal expenditure, (regardless of whether on tracker or MFP estimates or HRM), if you had sat at home watching TV you still would have burnt TDEE/24 kcal anyway (80, for example) so the ADDITIONAL benefit you got from walking was e.g. 300-80 = 220 kcal.

Which fits the 50-75% thing.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Remember that with a calculation for an hour walking, if for example it comes up as 300kcal expenditure, (regardless of whether on tracker or MFP estimates or HRM), if you had sat at home watching TV you still would have burnt TDEE/24 kcal anyway (80, for example) so the ADDITIONAL benefit you got from walking was e.g. 300-80 = 220 kcal.

I do a similar calculation as well but its never as easy as it seems.

TDEE includes exercise so you wouldn't even add in the calories from walking

If the walking is part of your normal daily activity its part of your NEAT so again don't count it

If walking is in addition to your daily activity (a deliberate exercise) then deduct NEAT/24 calories
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

I use an unorthodox trick to avoid the calculation. I burn about 95 resting, and my walking speed is fairly consistent for now. I found that if I set my heart rate monitor weight 50 pounds lighter it shows 95 calories less per hour than the usual number. It's not pinpoint accurate but it does the trick for me.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Personally... I burn more calories walking than MFP tells me, according to my HRM. Everything else is inflated for me, though!
  • 29_adjacent
    29_adjacent Posts: 104 Member
    Options

Thanks, I did not know this! I will take that into consideration from now on.
  • 29_adjacent
    29_adjacent Posts: 104 Member
    Options

I do a similar calculation as well but its never as easy as it seems.

TDEE includes exercise so you wouldn't even add in the calories from walking

If the walking is part of your normal daily activity its part of your NEAT so again don't count it

If walking is in addition to your daily activity (a deliberate exercise) then deduct NEAT/24 calories

Thanks, that make sense. The walking is in addition to my daily activity so I will take this into account when working out my calories burnt.