AACK! I can hardly lift the bar!

I have been strength training for a couple of months now, just doing the typical not-too-heavy-higher-reps kind of routine. I've been reading about the Stronglift 5x5 program and decided to give it a try. So today was day 1 for beginners, workout A, which includes bench press. I managed to do 5 reps with just the bar but almost couldn't get it back on the stand! I was pretty embarrassed and decided I better stop there before I hurt myself.

So, I'm not sure what to do next. Are there certain lifts I can do to get stronger and progress to the bench press? Or should I just try again with 1 set and work up to the 5 sets? Up until now I have been doing bicep curls, triceps and overheads (not sure if that's the right term) with dumbbells.

On a better note, I did get through all 5 sets of squats with 15 lbs and barbell rows with 35 pounds. I was pretty spent but it sure felt great. Also I am going to check out Starting Strength today since so many have suggested it.

Thanks for any tips you can give me.

Replies

• wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Start with a dumbell bench press. Lie on the bench and choose dumbbells that you can get about 10-12 reps with. Use the same form as you would with a bench press and just work your way up! Good luck on picking things up and putting them down. :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    See if your gym has fixed weight barbells. They are lighter than the empty Olympic bar. I started with the 20lb one.
  • afugua0002
    afugua0002 Posts: 27
    with the stronglifts program, you are supposed to do the same amount of weight, in your case, the bar, if you struggle the first time with that weight. Since you were barely able to put it back on the rack, I would do them with the bar one or two more times and then I would add the weekly weight. As long as you have a spotter, you should be okay.
  • afugua0002
    afugua0002 Posts: 27
    See if your gym has fixed weight barbells. They are lighter than the empty Olympic bar. I started with the 20lb one.

This. See if they have a bar that isn't Olympic. Either way, keep going.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Oh, you could also try bench pressing on the smith machine.
  • Love2lift72
    Love2lift72 Posts: 157 Member
    I started Starting Strength at the beginning of March. A friend is a certified SS coach and highly encouraged me to get the book. I love it. I took a two week break at which time I deloaded a bit. But my lifts are still progressing. My bench is at 95,squats 115, overhead press at 65 and deadlift at 175.

I don't have a suggestion for the press. I hope others will help there, but don't give up. Just keep working at it. Good luck
  • silverdawnhawk
    silverdawnhawk Posts: 32 Member
    While not hurting yourself is a good goal, for the bench press can you get someone to spot you while you work your way up?

I just started NROL4W on Monday... I haven't lifted in 16 years (half my life) but lifted as a teen when I was a competitive synchro swimmer still trying to find how much I can lift for each set. And I find he's very good for giving variations of an exercise in case you don't have specific equipment as well as "degree of difficulty" variations for many of the exercises.

Unlike many who talk about the guys at the gyms where they are I've been lucky. The gym at my work place has lots of both men and women who are friendly and willing to help out with form, spotting, alternative options etc.

Currently trying to convince the bf to come with me since my workplace membership allows me to bring a guest with me. :) So hopefully I will soon have a constant spotter when needed!

Edit: typing on phone makes my spelling horrendous
  • dashaclaire
    dashaclaire Posts: 127 Member
    Just came here to sympathize! I have always had weenie arms and strong legs. I can barely do a modified push up. Stick with it!
  • ohiotubagal
    ohiotubagal Posts: 190 Member
    While not hurting yourself is a good goal, for the bench press can you get someone to spot you while you work your way up?

Well, that's a good question. I am not sure of the etiquette for asking for help at the gym. I do know not to interrupt someone in the middle of a set. Maybe I can ask one of the trainers. But will they do that for free when they normally charge for training sessions?
  • ohiotubagal

This. See if they have a bar that isn't Olympic. Either way, keep going.

Thanks...I will definitely ask. We do have lighter weight bars (I use them for squats) but not sure about heavier ones.
  • Dalker
    Dalker Posts: 44 Member
    Use dumbbells or the fixed weight bars. You'll be amazed at how fast you improve and the bar will quickly become your warmup :)
  • JCLondonUK
    JCLondonUK Posts: 159
    I started with the smaller bars, and worked up until I could use the Olympic bar. You'll be surprised at how quickly you get stronger. Keep at it! It's a real buzz when the weights start going up :smile:
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Maybe do the one set with the bar then 4 sets of pushups (knees if needed) to build your upper body strength?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

Well, that's a good question. I am not sure of the etiquette for asking for help at the gym. I do know not to interrupt someone in the middle of a set. Maybe I can ask one of the trainers. But will they do that for free when they normally charge for training sessions?

Use dumbbells- or the prefixed bars.

It's perfectly normal to ask someone near by who is resting BETWEEN SETS and ask for a spot- say I am expecting to get 5 reps- but I was struggling with my last set.

The trick is to be extremely clear about what you want
    > how many you want to do-
    > do you want a lift off
    > how much assistance you need (you'd be surprised about how many people just take the bar from you at any sign of struggle)
    > what kind of help you need- little lift through the sticking point or whatever.

Don't worry about the numbers you are pressing or the fact the bar seems heavy -it won't soon enough!!! Everyone starts with just the bar at some point in their life. No shame in asking for help.

OR.

figure out how to set up the power cage to bench on your own (I often have to do large volume sets and it's a pain in the *kitten* to ask for help for 6 sets of 2 reps) so I just do mine in the power cage. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
  • ohiotubagal
    > do you want a lift off
    > how much assistance you need (you'd be surprised about how many people just take the bar from you at any sign of struggle)
    > what kind of help you need- little lift through the sticking point or whatever.

figure out how to set up the power cage to bench on your own (I often have to do large volume sets and it's a pain in the *kitten* to ask for help for 6 sets of 2 reps) so I just do mine in the power cage. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Thank you...this is just the kind of thing I needed to know!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    So when I need help with benching, I just say, "Hey, I see you around a lot and if you're not super busy I was wondering if when you are done with your set if you could spot me for a set." I really only need a spotter when I think I am going to go to failure. The thing with you and even me (at more like 125), is when I hit failure, I am not going to die. The weight just winds up on my chest and kind of pins me. It's not like the weight is going to suddenly crush me. Your weight will just be like having a little kid on you that needs to move. So all I have to say to the spotter is, "I'll tell you when I am failing and need help and then you just grab it. That's all I need." That's all there is to it.

If I'm back squatting with someone and not in a cage, I let them know I really don't care if they accidentally get a free boob grab as long as they are are spotting me close because yeah, that can really hurt you since the weight is more. Sometimes guys are reluctant to spot a back squat because they don't know what will happen when you fail--will they accidentally touch your boob? Yes, they can avoid it. I don't want them to over-think it though. I just want to get up at that point!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    > do you want a lift off

Thank you...this is just the kind of thing I needed to know!

:) no problem

also google up bench press roll of shame.

It's not FUN- and it's not COMFORTABLE- but you won't crush your windpipe on accident and if something happens on a bad lift- you can get yourself out. (I've failed a weight I was comfortable lifting- only because I had a bad set up and once the bar gets out of place- it can really wreck havoc on your lift. )

So learn how to properly fail your lifts- ze things- they are important!!!
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    with the stronglifts program, you are supposed to do the same amount of weight, in your case, the bar, if you struggle the first time with that weight. Since you were barely able to put it back on the rack, I would do them with the bar one or two more times and then I would add the weekly weight. As long as you have a spotter, you should be okay.
    ^^