How do you begin again?

Options
My highest recorded weight was 189 and I believe that was in 2009 or 2010. My lowest weight was 135, and I started college in August 2012 at 138. I'm now 186 and I'm not sure how to do it again. I thought I'd be able to maintain my health and weight loss in college, but evidently that isn't the case. I stopped counting calories because it felt like it was consuming my life and it was all I cared about. It made eating and spending time with friends not as enjoyable.

How do you start over and lose weight again? I feel like a failure to myself, and I'm nervous to try again, thinking that if I lose all this weight, that this will happen again and I'll gain it all back.

Thanks for reading. Any insight/stories/motivation/words are appreciated.

Replies

• KelseyDiane91
    KelseyDiane91 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I'm definitely interested in hearing some feedback.

I personally just stopped buying the crappy food. I have to pack a lunch for work, and I make myself bring healthy foods so I don't have the option to eat bad. I also really slowed down on the soda. I used to drink 3-4 a day, and now I have maybe 3 a week. I'm hoping to completely rid them from my life.

They're small changes, but I've found when I completely change my habits at once, I fail. I do better by making little changes over some time.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Steps to starting over:

1) STOP viewing it as a "failure": View it as a step toward lasting success.

2) Preview RESEARCH "maintenance" and the cals you personally need to sustain it to assure yourself this time you will be able to maintain your weight loss. (TDEE or scooby)

3) JUST START, begrudgingly if you must. Still start. Once you have the above calculation you should also have a good idea of what you should currently be eating. After that first week or two (or 3 or 4) when you are seeing results while still eating, the success will feed on itself and become it's own motivation.

:flowerforyou:
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I think that's the key thing: I've lost weight more times than I can count: Weight Watchers, Atkins, Stillman (the original no carb guy). I can always sustain the effort when I'm "on a diet". And, then when I go off,I regain weight. I read somewhere that under 10% of the people who lose weight keep it off. If you're a "failure" then so am I and zillions of other people.

This time round after our son was born, I decided to concentrate on eating the foods which had the greatest number of nutrients. I was breastfeeding, so what I ate, he ate. I found the more nutritious foods I ate, the less hungry I was. I kind of loosely count calories because I'm a stairclimber and being lighter is better than being heavier when you're moving your bodyweight up 50 plus flights of stairs...but so long as I stick to high nutrient dense foods I feel satisfied and my weight stays between 138 and 144 (I'm 5 ft 8.)
  • Sporttster
    Sporttster Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You need to give yourself a range, say 136 to 146. If you start getting close to that 146 number, start cutting back so you don't end up at 186 with a crapload of weight to fight off. It's much easier to rid yourself of 10lbs than it is 50! So make a range and stay within it.