Dear Half Marathoners and Longer distance runners.

Options
I am running my first 1/2 Marathon tomorrow, I know a lot of people wish they knew x,y, or z their first time. This is also my first offical race! So hit me up what should I know that you wish you knew? Thanks in advance!!!!

Replies

• jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    start slow, finish fast. with four miles left you should pass as many people as possible!
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Take some water at every water stop, even if you only take a couple sips. Also running while drinking from a cup of water is hard!
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Have run several half marathons this year.... Don't run and drink at same time... walk. Inhaling water down the wrong pipe is easy to do when you're running. If there is water and gel at a stop, save the water to drink after you eat the gel -- sometimes gel doesn't go down as easy as you'd like but washing it down with water helps. If it starts early and is cool or cold, I make arm warmers that are disposable by cutting off the toes from old cotton socks. If you do stop to walk, don't stop suddenly -- make sure there isn't anyone right behind you. Put your personal info such as phone contact for person there with you or who should be called, DL, and even a credit card into a waist pack if you have one. I had a medical issue at one of my races and it was good for them to have the available.
  • Gryphons92
    Gryphons92 Posts: 1
    Options
    Have a fueling strategy before the gun goes off. I like to walk the water stations and fuel every other...that assumes water every 3km.
    Don't wear a new outfit that you haven't already tried on or you risk chafing.
    Body Glide is your friend.
    If it is cool in the morning, take a throwaway shirt that you can ditch when you get warm.
    Smile for the photographers on the course, and at the finish line, wait to hit stop on your watch so you get a nice finish line photo, vs one of you looking at your watch.
    If you wear headphones, only use one side so you can hear other people trying to get by, course marshalls, and fans cheering.
    If there are sponges offered, it's for your body, don't drink from them, they get re-used.
    If they are offering something on a stick, it is likely Vaseline...don't eat it. ;)
    Find a pace bunny close to your goal time, and stick with them.
    Enjoy the experience.

Good luck tomorrow!
  • tryskinni
    tryskinni Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Smile for the cameras.
  • minnie_mousse
    minnie_mousse Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    From 1 half marathon newb to another; this is how I did my first half marathon (following seasoned veterans' recommendations) and it was great!
    -Eat something the morning of that you know won't upset your guts: I had a almond butter and banana smoothie. There is nothing worse than trying something new and needing to go to the bathroom really bad mid run!
    -Have a gel/recovery something at the half way point or earlier and drink water with it! I am not a long distance runner normally and do have all the fancy water bottle belts and such so I ended up drinking water station water every 2k or so. I find carrying things while running annoying anyway.
    -As some other people have said already - run negative splits. To help with this, I borrowed my friend's Garmin which would keep me on track for my intended pace.
    -...but most importantly, HAVE FUN!
  • ehuschka
    ehuschka Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you have to walk, walk on the sides of the road!
  • MelanieMamaof5
    MelanieMamaof5 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Just go and have fun. Don't set a "time" for yourself. In fact, if I were you I wouldn't look at a watch AT ALL!

Ditto to everything else mentioned above.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Watch your pace in the first few miles, and RUN YOUR OWN RACE. It is very easy to get caught up in the excitement, adrenaline pumping, and go way too fast in the start only to have it bite you in the *kitten* in the later miles. A lot of people around you are lined up wrong, or will gun it at the gate. Resist the urge.

Also, do not try any new food or routines before the race. Stick with what you know works.

Good luck!
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Probably too late to be of much help, but I find gels to be absolutely intolerable in my mouth/throat ... UGH.... Shot Blocks (i prefer orange) are my fuel of choice.... put a few in a baggie and after 5 miles, eat one and then eat another one every 2-3 miles until the end.
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    If it is raining and you slip and land on concrete with your face you will bruise. This bruise will last for a month. However, there will be other runners that will help you out. Be sure to thank them for taking their time to help your time. That being said, if you have any tight turns-try not to slip.
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Watch your pace in the first few miles, and RUN YOUR OWN RACE. It is very easy to get caught up in the excitement, adrenaline pumping, and go way too fast in the start only to have it bite you in the *kitten* in the later miles. A lot of people around you are lined up wrong, or will gun it at the gate. Resist the urge.

Also, THIS. (boy have I made that mistake!)
  • One2Run
    One2Run Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    OP, so how did it go? Congrats on a PR!
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Use the portapotty before heading to the start. And then return to the lineup and use the portapotty again. Then head to the start.
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    How did your race go? Please tell us. Thanks!