Can you just remove sugar?

Let's say I have a cookie recipe that calls for sugar? Can I just not add the sugar, and not replace it with anything? Obviously the cookies wouldn't be as sweet, but they would still cook normally right?

Replies

• Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Hi, I don't know if it's correct, but I was told to use 1 T of honey for every 1/2 cup of sugar.. I've used this in baking and haven't had any problem. People are very knowledgeable here so you will get some good replies to this.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Well you could but... why? If the calories scare you, can you just use splenda or something?
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    That depends on what you're replacing it with. If it's stevia, for example, you'd need to adjust the amount of liquid in your recipe so it bakes properly. Same with honey.

ETA - I read that wrong. It still depends on the recipe. If it's cookies, they're going to taste very bland, like flour with chocolate chips for example, without sugar. I'd definitely recommend replacing it with something if you're worried about the calories. Otherwise, it wont just make it "less sweet," it'll take away the majority of the flavor in dessert recipes. You may also have to reduce the liquid in order for them to cook properly.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    That depends on what you're replacing it with. If it's stevia, for example, you'd need to adjust the amount of liquid in your recipe so it bakes properly. Same with honey.

Well what was asked was actually if she could just remove the sugar and not replace it with anything at all.
  • tinkbaby101

Well what was asked was actually if she could just remove the sugar and not replace it with anything at all.

I saw that and fixed it. Thank you. I got distracted by the replies. :laugh:
  • yungibear
    yungibear Posts: 138 Member
    You could try the replacing any butter or oil used for applesauce. I've tried it a couple times. It works best with simple cookies. It'll be naturally sweet from the applesauce, and you can cut some of the sugar. The texture does come out a little more differently, though. It'll be more cakey and crumbly.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Make the bikkie with 1/2 quantity of sugar, see what happens. does it go gooey and spread? does it just stay put but be doughy?

If it seems okay, have another shot with the bikkies at zero sugar. Sure, they might not be 'flavourful' - or no? If they're peanut brownies they're still going to be flavourful, just not sweet. There's more impact on 'floury flavour' that comes from forgetting to put the vanilla essence in, than sugar content.

If you like your hot cocoa without sugar you'll probably be fine. Sugar is an acquired taste and you can unacquire it over time as well.

Oh: and you might like a pinch of salt per cup of flour. A big fat pinch, not a skinny one.
  • Well you could but... why? If the calories scare you, can you just use splenda or something?

Not a calorie issue, just trying to cut out as much added sugar as possible. I have an addictive personality, it's tough to eat something with sugar, even if it's at a treat meal, and ignore everything else. Also I thought I read somewhere that no calorie sweeteners can cause cancer?
    they're going to taste very bland, like flour with chocolate chips for example, without sugar.

So what if I just added some vanilla extract?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Let's say I have a cookie recipe that calls for sugar? Can I just not add the sugar, and not replace it with anything? Obviously the cookies wouldn't be cookies, but instead be some sort of depressing cracker, right?

fixed
  • nsimon24
    nsimon24 Posts: 115 Member
    No, removing the sugar will result in the cookies not browning, and very likely an odd-textured/off flavored cookie. There is a lot of science behind baking, and recipes require a balance of fats/sugars/leavening agents in order to produce a good result.

A general rule of thumb is you can cut the sugar in half safely in a cookie and still get good results if the recipe has not been previously altered to make it "lighter"

I can post more about the science and offer more info if you want, but do not want to get away from the original question!

Also, this website might help :)

http://www.myrealfoodlife.com/part-3-how-to-substitute-sugar/
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    My mom used to make something similar that we would eat with sausage and country gravy. For the life of me, I can't remember what they were called.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Let's say I have a cookie recipe that calls for sugar? Can I just not add the sugar, and not replace it with anything? Obviously the cookies wouldn't be cookies, but instead be some sort of depressing cracker, right?

fixed

Cracker? Please.

No.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    To be honest, that sounds totally gross. I'd just rather not have cookies at all, personally. The point of cookies is that they are dessert-like treats. If they taste like cardboard, why would you want to eat them? :brokenheart:

P.S. Tell me you are at least going to use an alternative sweetener, and not just eat them bland and unsweet...
  • tinkbaby101
    Well you could but... why? If the calories scare you, can you just use splenda or something?

Not a calorie issue, just trying to cut out as much added sugar as possible. I have an addictive personality, it's tough to eat something with sugar, even if it's at a treat meal, and ignore everything else. Also I thought I read somewhere that no calorie sweeteners can cause cancer?
    they're going to taste very bland, like flour with chocolate chips for example, without sugar.

So what if I just added some vanilla extract?

Stevia is generally considered safer than other no calorie sweeteners, like aspartame (which is the one that's been said to cause cancer). According to the FDA and the ADA, there seem to be no negative side effects of it, that they can find. It's also substantially sweeter than sugar, so you need far, far less of it.

And vanilla extract will add to the flavor a bit, but they're still going to be pretty sad cookies without a sweetener. Vanilla extract can only do so much unless you add enough to make the cookies drunk, and it isn't particularly sweet, by itself.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member

fixed

4652433+_ff737cd80eeca0ae1d3229b7c7f86d66.jpeg
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Can you just give me the cookies (with sugar)?
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Sugar is the flavor though... Unless you're making something that's going to be topped with something sugary, not adding sugar is going to make whatever it is that you're making flat, floury, dull. Might as well save the effort of baking and snack on some stale bread.
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234

fixed

But even crackers have like garlic or onion powder or salt... something flavoring them...
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    No, removing the sugar will result in the cookies not browning, and very likely an odd-textured/off flavored cookie. There is a lot of science behind baking, and recipes require a balance of fats/sugars/leavening agents in order to produce a good result.

A general rule of thumb is you can cut the sugar in half safely in a cookie and still get good results if the recipe has not been previously altered to make it "lighter"

I can post more about the science and offer more info if you want, but do not want to get away from the original question!

Also, this website might help :)

http://www.myrealfoodlife.com/part-3-how-to-substitute-sugar/

pretty much this. You can't remove a main ingredient like sugar without replacing it with something. sugar adds stability and texture to a cookie or brownie. Without it you would just be eating flour and eggs. You might be able to get away with something that resembles a cookie if you use oats and peanut butter. But don't expect much from it. If you want to avoid processed sugar try using a banana or applesauce in place of the sugar.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    To be honest, that sounds totally gross. I'd just rather not have cookies at all, personally. The point of cookies is that they are dessert-like treats. If they taste like cardboard, why would you want to eat them? :brokenheart:

P.S. Tell me you are at least going to use an alternative sweetener, and not just eat them bland and unsweet...

This.

And also, baking is science. Altering the ingredients may have unintended consequences, like the "cookies" not browning properly.

A couple of reads for you:
    http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/are-artificial-sweeteners-safe/
    http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/