Concerns about my journey

Options
Hello

I am currently on my 5x5 program and upping weights! It's say I need to upgrade every time I go but 2.5 kg! Now that doesn't sound a lot but sometimes it's hard to do that! I started out with the bar and have now progressed to squats 67.5kg , over head press 35kg , deadlift 65kg , barbell row 45kg , bench 42.5, ! Increasing these are gettin. More and more difficult!

I eat about 2450 calories a day and check my diary to see if u think my food is ok because as far as I'm aware I think it's a good diet to help me with good amounts of protein and fats and carbs!

Issue I have is also putting on weight! I know I would put on some fat but I also don't want to feel uncomfortable in my own skin and clothes!

I was fat once and swore never again! I was 10 stone when I started and I am now 11 stone! 70kg ! And 5ft 10

How can I get strength gains if I don't eat enough calories but how can I stop putting on fat if I keep eating all the calories?

Do I add cardio? Even tho it maybe detrimental ?

What do u guys thinks?

Cheers!

Replies

• alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You say you are adding 2.5kg every time you go? That is too much in my opinion, adding weight should be gradual and when your body is ready, not on a schedule. When you start reaching the end of your set without struggle you should add weight but not before, you might be doing more damage than helping since you can lose form when struggling with the heavy weight.

As far as your diet it looks good but gaining muscle mass is hard. I'm not sure why you think cardio would be detrimental. Cardio is a great way to burn fat. I implement my cardio between my supersets (rope jumping) or at the end of my strength training since I cannot make it to the gym every day. If you are lifting the weights that are too heavy for you might be building muscle but if you still have some fat to lose you will not be helping because you will be doing too few repetitions and not keeping your heart rate high enough.

But I'm no expert; this is what I've gathered from research. Good luck on your journey! Gaining muscle is hard but I'm sure you will get there.
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    You say you are adding 2.5kg every time you go? That is too much in my opinion, adding weight should be gradual and when your body is ready, not on a schedule. When you start reaching the end of your set without struggle you should add weight but not before, you might be doing more damage than helping since you can lose form when struggling with the heavy weight.

As far as your diet it looks good but gaining muscle mass is hard. I'm not sure why you think cardio would be detrimental. Cardio is a great way to burn fat. I implement my cardio between my supersets (rope jumping) or at the end of my strength training since I cannot make it to the gym every day. If you are lifting the weights that are too heavy for you might be building muscle but if you still have some fat to lose you will not be helping because you will be doing too few repetitions and not keeping your heart rate high enough.

But I'm no expert; this is what I've gathered from research. Good luck on your journey! Gaining muscle is hard but I'm sure you will get there.

@Alereck: While I didn't learn anything new... however you reminded me of it..... and it is good advice... thank you.
  • rumple2014
    rumple2014 Posts: 79
    Options
    That's the program ! 5x5 ! It's not essential u put weight everytime but just a form of progressive overload!
    To be honest as well even when I never did weights and did way to much cardio I sill had pockets of fat on my body even when I only weighed 10 stone! Skinny fat if u like!

And the weights are heavy enough for me to just do 5 sets! The program isn't about working up a sweat! It's more to do with building strength ! But as your weight goes up so will you gain muscle !

But obviously u need to fuel urself!

Is there anyone else who knows anything about the 5x5 and knows anything ?

I don't discount your advice at all but the guy who ATM talks about the program medhi ! He says u don't need to do cardio ! Lift heavy he says but u need to get to he heavier stage first!

So not sure if I should cut calories until I can lift heavier but still that sounds counter productive as I may not get the strength gains if I'm not eating enough lol. :(
  • rumple2014
    Options
    Bump
  • webbeyes
    webbeyes Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Bump
    Rule #1: Don't bump a thread that was replied to less than a day ago :-)
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options
    You may get some more details in one of the Stronglifts groups

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/5542-stronglifts-5x5

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women (okay this one is for women but there are a lot more members in there lol)
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Perhaps this is not the best workout program for you? You may want to read this: http://skinnyfattransformation.com/why-you-shouldnt-do-starting-strength-as-a-beginner/

While this talks about the starting strength program, it seems quite similar to Stronglifts.
  • rumple2014
    Options
    Constructive ty