Is this a good plan to lose 100 pounds in 6 months?

Options
My goal is to lose 100 pounds in 6 months and I was wondering the best way to go about doing this. Below is a summary of my day-to-day life as I try and reach my goal, I was hoping for some advice regarding any alterations or additions that could be made to speed up the weight loss.

30g protien shake mixed with water 30 minutes after I wake
Breakfast - 3 eggs w/ fresh spinach or 1 serving oatmeal with cinnamon
snack #1 - fruit, fat-free cottage cheese, raw almonds or yogurt
lunch- 4oz plain, grilled fish or chicken breast w/ steamed veggis
snack #2 - fruit, fat-free cottage cheese, raw almonds or yogurt
Dinner- 4oz plain, grilled fish or chicken breast w/ steamed veggis

I drink 3 large glasses of plain, organic green tea and 4-5 large glasses of water every day, and I use artificial sweetners or seasonings whatsoever.

My workouts include the following:

1.5 mile power walk/jog first thing in the morning

roughly an hour or two of semi-intensive yard work, such as mowing the lawn, hoeing weeds, etc

30-45 minutes at the gym monday-friday and an extra 1.5 mile power walk on saturdays and sundays as my gym closes early these days.

Would this be a viable plan to lose 100 pounds in 6 months?

THANK YOU!! :D

P.S. My profile pic is recent, if that helps :)

Replies

• PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Realistically and healthily? No. Maybe 50, and that would be an exceptional and rather unforgiving goal.

If there were quick fixes, no one would be here working on the process. That doesn't mean we won't support the journey, but maybe 100 lbs in a year broken up amoung smaller landmarks at a time is more realistic.
  • Klinikal
    Klinikal Posts: 7
    Options
    Honestly, I'm not even sure how much weight I want to lose exactly, I don't really have a set weight I'd like to be at.... I just know the body I want.. I'm not sure if it will take 30 or 100 pounds to get there lol.

And I'm not really concerned about doing it the "healthy" way, just the fastest way possible. I'm well aware of the inherent risks, probability of gaining the weight back, and the probability of giving up due to it simply being too difficult if you push yourself too hard, but I can assure anyone who reads this post, none of these things are an issue for me.
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Your profile says you only have 76 pounds to lose. I'm all for kickstarting a weight loss program, but what you're suggesting is only going to be possible if you were 400+ lbs. Shoot for the 76 in 9/10 months. That's extremely hard, but doable. Judging by your profile pic, anything else is not going to be possible.
  • MzChristyLove
    MzChristyLove Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    stay away from the artificial sweetners dude. not good for you at all. Try not focusing how much you want to lose more than how you want your body for form as you lose. You may not need to lose 100. depending on how much muscle you gain plays a huge role since muscle weighs more than fat.

decide what weight you want to be. for example....I want to weigh 140 so I have to eat 1400 calories a day. Eventually, my body will gradually lose enough weight to reach the goal weight I prefer.
  • sanfly
    sanfly Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Big guys can often drop a lot of weight quickly, but this seems like a pretty huge goal. What's you're starting height and weight?

I recommend reading this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Start by keeping within your calorie goals and exercising every day, even if it's just a 20min slow walk. Get an HRM and a food scale. Log everything you eat and exercise. Try and have some fun with it too, it's amazing how much better you will feel as you get fitter and stronger, even if you don't reach some arbitrary goal you set for yourself. Sometimes goals need to be adjusted, it's not a failure, just reality.
  • Klinikal
    Options
    @gotolam Yeah, I set that goal on this website a little over a year ago, I don't remember what I weighed then but I know I was heavier, honestly I completely forgot I set that as a goal lol. But your reply was motivating, I think that seems like a more reasonable goal to shoot for. I'll just have to give it my all and see what happens :) If anything, I know I'm trying, literally, as hard as I can and I'm losing weight at a certain pace, there's nothing more I can do and I should appreciate any weight loss :)

@ sbjchristy My mistake, in my post I meant to say I "DON'T" use any artificial sweetners or seasonings whatsover, don't know how that slipped by me. I eat / drink everything completely plain.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...And I'm not really concerned about doing it the "healthy" way, just the fastest way possible...

Then why are you doing it? Aggressive weight loss generally results in looking kinda sickly, a loss of lean muscle and a bunch of loose skin. If you are doing it for vanity reasons, rather than for health, you might want to slow it down anyway so you actually look good when you're done. On the other hand, if you're doing it to win a million dollar weight loss challenge, go for it. Good luck!
  • Klinikal
    Options
    @Sanfly My height is 6', weight is 255 and my body fat is 18.1%
  • Klinikal
    Options
    ...And I'm not really concerned about doing it the "healthy" way, just the fastest way possible...

Then why are you doing it?

To fight at bantamweight, mostly. Vanity is the least of my worries
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

So your goal is to lose muscle, correct? You want to have less muscle mass?
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    You want to go to 155 pounds?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

You don't need to lose 100 pounds, and especially that fast. That kind of dramatic loss in that time frame is for super morbidly obese people, not you. Try 50 - 75 and give yourself a year.

ETA: How can you fight at bantamweight when all of your muscle has wasted away? Don't do it!!! :noway:
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

Then why are you doing it? Aggressive weight loss generally results in looking kinda sickly, a loss of lean muscle and a bunch of loose skin. If you are doing it for vanity reasons, rather than for health, you might want to slow it down anyway so you actually look good when you're done. On the other hand, if you're doing it to win a million dollar weight loss challenge, go for it. Good luck!

Agreed.
    Fastest way possible isn't going to stick. And 100lbs in 6 months is around 4lbs a week. That's far too high, and most likely not going to be attainable in such a short period of time. If you aren't going to do it the healthy way, you're just wasting your time, and doing damage to your body.
  • Klinikal
    Options
    I want less muscle and a little less fat, I want to fight at bantamweight in MMA instead of heavy-light heavyweight...Really I just want to be in a much lower weight class all together because I want more stamina.
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    @gotolam Yeah, I set that goal on this website a little over a year ago, I don't remember what I weighed then but I know I was heavier, honestly I completely forgot I set that as a goal lol. But your reply was motivating, I think that seems like a more reasonable goal to shoot for. I'll just have to give it my all and see what happens :) If anything, I know I'm trying, literally, as hard as I can and I'm losing weight at a certain pace, there's nothing more I can do and I should appreciate any weight loss :)

@ sbjchristy My mistake, in my post I meant to say I "DON'T" use any artificial sweetners or seasonings whatsover, don't know how that slipped by me. I eat / drink everything completely plain.

I went from 180-150 in 3 months. It wasn't easy, but it wasn't particularly hard either. I completely understand the concept of just "getten it dun." What I found out was that once I dropped that much weight, it was easier for me to haul my *kitten* to the gym and be much more active in everything that I do. I had a hard time going up one flight of steps ferchisakes.

Being overweight sucks. Losing the pounds makes fitness much easier and so I'm happy about to have done it that quickly.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Your health isn't important to you? Because... it should be.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm not even sure how much weight I want to lose exactly, I don't really have a set weight I'd like to be at.... I just know the body I want.. I'm not sure if it will take 30 or 100 pounds to get there lol.

And I'm not really concerned about doing it the "healthy" way, just the fastest way possible. I'm well aware of the inherent risks, probability of gaining the weight back, and the probability of giving up due to it simply being too difficult if you push yourself too hard, but I can assure anyone who reads this post, none of these things are an issue for me.

But why put yourself through that? Doesn't a lasting body you're pretty happily inhabiting for the rest of you life sound like a bargain? You can still eat whatever you want. You can even save money by portioning out food as recommended.

To the benefit of absolutely no one, you can waste time and destroy long-term function by neglecting your body.

Or, OR-- and bear with me now, you can take full advantage of these free resources and people who want you to succeed to become the person you want to be, along with everyone else on their journeys.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    I want less muscle and a little less fat, I want to fight at bantamweight in MMA instead of heavy-light heavyweight...Really I just want to be in a much lower weight class all together because I want more stamina.

That makes no sense at all.

Do you live under a bridge?
  • Klinikal
    Options
    light-heavyweight is 205 pounds

Bantamweight is 135 pounds

this seems simple, wetcoaster. Should I simplify this further so that you no longer become confused? I haven't said or done anything insulting, so keep yours to yourself.
  • maryjobahrcrooks
    maryjobahrcrooks Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This worries me...I would suggest putting as much effort forward as possible and eat your lean proteins and lowfat foods, whole grains, etc...and see where that takes you. As someone mentioned, you should see how you feel in a little while after you lose some. Once we get older our bodies change and you might feel great at 185-195 but with more muscle mass. Just be careful...and Good Luck!!