Here we go again! I could really use you're help.

Options
Hello, my name is Jodie. It's my first day. I'm feeling like an addict who is not ready to admit I have a problem. Well, I admit I have a problem and I want the problem to go away, but I'm digging my heels in and screaming all the way to the scales wanting them to miraculously show that I've lost 30 pounds without doing the work. <sigh> I know what you're thinking...how can you be successful if you're not ready and totally focused? Well, I'm starting out slow. I'd go into shock if I did it any other way. I'm watching what I eat, but not starving myself either. We'll see how it goes, but I'm not saving for a new wardrobe yet.

I'm in need of your motivation. Please send me success stories of your weight loss to get me going. I've lost and gained all my adult life, but I'm 44 years old and I have terrible arthritis so I need your motivation to get me going. Then once I've lost the weight I have to figure out what to do to keep it off this time....that's the real trick! Any success stories would be gr8ly appreciated! :smile:

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    wormy_waving.gif
    Welcome to MFP, it is a great tool to help you.
  • 614jaimee
    Options
    I'm almost 30, and I gained 60 lbs over a 3 year period. I have had 2 ankle surgeries during that time, but the truth is that I let myself go. I never had an issue with my weight until I met my husband (who is very fit thanks to his high metabolism) and I ate what he did, and added to my inability to work out, I packed on the pounds.
    For me, acceptance was the first step. If you don't accept where you are and take responsibility for your weight gain you will never over come it. Then I was angry at myself, which turned into shame. I am embararassed to go out, to see friends and family, but realized that it was me who wasn't accepting myself for who I was, not them.
    Now I'm watching what I eat (which has become a lifestyle change), walking every day and actually got my thin husband to do it all with me (yes, he lost weight). It's not just about being physically healthy...it's also about mental health. It's 50/50 for me. Get your head in the right place and your body will follow.

GOOD LUCK!
  • rundgrenfan
    Options
    Hi Jodie, I have only been on for three weeks but I can feel myself changing, if that is not too corny to say. Just stick with the food journaling, be really exact and honest, and good luck! You can do it! You have so many good reasons to take care of yourself. Think of it as a long term project as opposed to yet another diet.
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I joined in September and have lost 6 lbs so far. Not so much, but this isn't going to be an overnight thing either. MFP is so easy to use. So, you've done the right thing to join. What you need are friends to help motivate along the way. If you want, you can request me to be your friend -- just click on my user name and request it. Good luck on your weight loss journey. We are all there with ya.
  • teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    No matter where you are or what your past is, right now is a great time for you to start being healthy. If you look at my profile you will see a bit of my story. I will give you a piece of advice that has worked for keeping my arthritus down. I stay away from potatoes. I dont know if anyone else has issues with them, but when I eat them my osteoarthritus gets worse. I had read about a study in the british medical journal where they found that potatoes seemed to aggravate arthritus. I tried it and found out that staying away from them works for me. I also take some of that osteo flex type of stuff. All I can say is that when I dont take it for a day or 2 I can feel the difference. The weather has been changing and mine has been really cranky. Knowing the difference between it and other spinal problems is my own personal challenge. When the arthritus is flairing getting into motion helps me out. I would really also suggest you incorporate fatty fish for the efa's. Those fats are kind of like oil for the tin man....lol ;-] This site is a great place to meet encouraging and supporting people. They are really fantastic. And its really good that you are taking your time and getting your health right. My mom always did the starve thing and now has practically zero metabolism. Watching my moms example has kept me from throwing my hands in the air and doing one of those crazy deals. So good for you and way to go ;-]
    jac
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    oops, it posted twice...
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    I'm watching what I eat, but not starving myself either.

Good news- You don't have to starve yourself to lose weight. Actually, I think once you adjust to it, you will be surprised at how much to really can eat, especially if you make wise choices. With hard work, dedication, and the calorie counter, I lost 18 lbs and I feel great now :) You can do it. Make small changes. Don't go all gung-ho and restrict everything all at once. That will just make it way too hard, and I really think that is why a lot of people fail. Also, do things that you are willing to stick with. You can't work hard to lose weight and then just go back to the way thing were. A lifestyle change is the way to go- but that means baby steps, just like you are doing. This is a great place full of support and advice. If you need a buddy to encourage you along the way, feel free to send me a friend request. I hope you are blessed with great success in your journey to a healthier you! :flowerforyou:
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    The site works.....I have been over weight and then into obese for the last 20 years. Now I am moving the other way and I am closer to normal weight than I am to obese on the BMI scale. This works if you do the tracking, stay honest and ask for help or advice if you don't understand something!
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    BTW -- KarenBorter is a good person to become friends with. She's a great motivator.
  • mommagrams
    Options
    Hi, and welcome to MFP. I am almost 40 years old and had about 48 lbs to lose when I began in June. I have simply been walking or working out on my elliptical for thirty minutes a day, and using MFP to track calories. Some times I don't log in... and for the past couple weeks I've been really lazy about it. But I am not going back. I've lost 30 lbs since June. I've gone from barely fitting into a size 16 to a loose fitting 12. I have not been hungry at all. In fact I've been eating more calories with this site than on any diet I've tried before. I've lost weight slowly. About a pound a week after the first two weeks... but it's been relatively easy to stay with counting calories. I eat alot of the same foods I always have...just fewer sweets, smaller, portions, and learning to read a book, go for a walk, or log onto MFP when I find myself wanting to eat for entertainment. Sometimes I eat more calories than I'm allowed so then I just add an extra walk or workout and cut back a little more the next day. With this site you can go as hard core or as simple as you want with the exercise, you just earn more calories when you workout more...so it's kind of an incentive to be more active. You can do this!!! Good luck!
  • jodiebs
    jodiebs Posts: 10
    Options
    Very encouraging mommagrams. Congrats on your weight loss.
  • jodiebs
    Options
    Thank you lbirch01. I appreciate that.
  • jodiebs
    Options
    teasdino thank you for the tips. Yes, I would die without glucosamine and raspberries and blueberries actually take the swelling in my fingers down. My feet; however, take a lot more of a beating so working out has been a challenge. I do my best.
  • owengem
    owengem Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hi, welcome and good luck.
    This site really is the place to be to make changes. You can do it!